An Old School Catholic Message Board

Stephen Fry Asked About God

“Suppose it’s all true, and you walk up to the pearly gates, and are confronted by God,” asked Bryne. “What will Stephen Fry say to him, her, or it?”

The 57-year-old replied: “I’d say, bone cancer in children? What’s that about?

“How dare you? How dare you create a world to which there is such misery that is not our fault. It’s not right, it’s utterly, utterly evil.

“Why should I respect a capricious, mean-minded, stupid God who creates a world that is so full of injustice and pain. That’s what I would say. ”

Byrne’s second question, “And you think you are going to get in, like that?” only served to fuel his fervour.

"But I wouldn't want to," Fry insisted. “I wouldn't want to get in on his terms. They are wrong.

"Now, if I died and it was Pluto, Hades, and if it was the 12 Greek gods then I would have more truck with it, because the Greeks didn’t pretend to not be human in their appetites, in their capriciousness, and in their unreasonableness… they didn’t present themselves as being all-seeing, all-wise, all-kind, all-beneficent, because the god that created this universe, if it was created by god, is quite clearly a maniac… utter maniac, totally selfish.

“We have to spend our life on our knees thanking him? What kind of god would do that?

"So, atheism isn’t not just about not believing there’s a God, but on the assumption there is one, what kind of God is he?”

Visibly staggered by Fry’s answer, Byrne said: “That sure is the longest answer to that question I ever got in this entire series.”

Oremus Pro Invicem

“Suppose it’s all true, and you walk up to the pearly gates, and are confronted by God,” asked Bryne. “What will Stephen Fry say to him, her, or it?”

The 57-year-old replied: “I’d say, bone cancer in children? What’s that about?

“How dare you? How dare you create a world to which there is such misery that is not our fault. It’s not right, it’s utterly, utterly evil.

“Why should I respect a capricious, mean-minded, stupid God who creates a world that is so full of injustice and pain. That’s what I would say. ”

God: I didn't create that world. My world was perfect, you were perfect, there was no death, diseases, or sin. Sadly though your first parents, who were your representatives, wanted something different. Their selfishness robbed you of Eden, just like how your selfishness will rob you of Heaven.

God: I didn't create that world. My world was perfect, you were perfect, there was no death, diseases, or sin. Sadly though your first parents, who were your representatives, wanted something different. Their selfishness robbed you of Eden, just like how your selfishness will rob you of Heaven.

Not sure how I feel about the story of Adam and Eve. I accept it because the Church says to and I'm not a heretic. At the same time a lot of it doesn't add up.

It makes more sense that the story is allegorical. Unless theories about time going backwards and stuff due to weird laws of quantum physics are true. Then I could see how maybe things were perfect and sin didn't exist.

I believe that one day it will all make sense. Right now, I think that God allows suffering in order to bring a greater good out of it, even though it is hard to see sometimes. Father Barron says that this life is a like a painting with a contrast of light and dark. The darkness accentuates the light--- the light shines much more brighter because there is evil in the world. There is now a greater opportunity for heroic virtue.  And as St. John Paul would say, suffering allows people to love in ways that wouldn't be possible without it… God allows suffering so that we might enter into his selflessness, to suffer for and with those who are suffering. Stephen Fry doesn't get Christianity at all-- at the heart of it we believe that God suffers with us. Selfishness? Far from it. And because there is suffering, there is a greater reward at the end of it.

There must have been something though… a cosmic fall that brought suffering into the world because it couldn't have been created broken. Josh, I'm not sure I understand how the  universe couldn't have been perfect, without sin.

There must have been something though… a cosmic fall that brought suffering into the world because it couldn't have been created broken. Josh, I'm not sure I understand how the universe couldn't have been perfect, without sin.

Perhaps another theory is it happened on another Earth in another galaxy millions or billions of years ago.

KnightofChrist

who the hell is steven fry? The guy from futurama?

The fat nasty naked guy from Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows. EWwwwWwwwww