An Old School Catholic Message Board

When To Make The Jump?

Anselm

Sorry, I've confused matters a little - the Prior I said I'm talking to is from a different monastery and from one I've never considered entering. He's just being kind and helpful. The two houses I'm torn between do know that I've long been attracted to them both.

I know, of course, that one only enters a monastery to seek God and not for a particular way of life, but that would, I hope, happen in either. Both houses are small, but the one with the school has shrunk quite dramatically in recent years, for a variety of reasons. That means that any novices are going to be taking vows in a community with quite an uncertain future. Sadly the UK has nothing like the huge Archabbeys of the U.S.

When you are considering them, is there one that you would regret not experiencing? Which community would you rather die and be laid to rest in? I've been trying to incorporate this attitude into how I consider communities... It's amazing how much else you can be willing to live with when you take the long view! :)

Sponsa-Christi
I know, of course, that one only enters a monastery to seek God and not for a particular way of life, but that would, I hope, happen in either. Both houses are small, but the one with the school has shrunk quite dramatically in recent years, for a variety of reasons. That means that any novices are going to be taking vows in a community with quite an uncertain future. Sadly the UK has nothing like the huge Archabbeys of the U.S.

Do be careful not to romanticize religious life in the USA too much, though! Remember that Americans are masters at marketing. ;) Just because a community puts out really great vocation posters or newsletters doesn't necessarily mean that community is necessarily any more vibrant or healthy than a smaller or less well-known community.  

No, but there is a certain 'strength in numbers' when you're one of five novices joining a community of ninety rather than on your own, joining seven...

Yeah I know what you mean Anselm. However, there is only so much hemming and hawing you can do - you've been accepted by this one Benedictine community, so as far as having a direction to go in, you've got it. Luigi's first comment was really good (just distinguishing by numerical order, not saying his later ones weren't!) ... I for one would love to follow you along the next couple of steps, if you're willing to share :)

Sister Leticia

Anselm - a friend of mine entered with her community about 25 years ago. There were 3 novices already in the novitiate and within a few years another 4 had entered. One left as a postulant, the others all made first vows. NONE of them made final vows, except for my friend. So in less than 10 years she went from having a peer group to being alone in her "generation". It was several more years before someone else entered and stayed.

Luckily, my friend hadn't entered with this order because of their full novitiate, or because she loved their habit (in fact, she was delighted when that changed a few years later!) or anything else which changed over the years. No, she joined them because of their charism and prayer and understanding of community and service, and because she felt so strongly that here was where God was calling her to be. And that's why she stayed, despite being rocked by all the departures.

And that's the only reason anyone should enter anywhere. Not because of anything which can so easily change (like personnel, location, externals etc), but because of the things that are timeless, because they are the only things that will endure. It's about building your house on rock rather than shifting sands.

So I'd say it isn't really to do with 7 v 90 or teaching v book-binding or location A v location B any of which can easily change within a few years, but about the things which are enduring and at the heart of the community.

What is it about the monastery that is enduring and timeless and has made your heart leap and say "yes, this is the place God has prepared for me!" ?

Anselm - a friend of mine entered with her community about 25 years ago. There were 3 novices already in the novitiate and within a few years another 4 had entered. One left as a postulant, the others all made first vows. NONE of them made final vows, except for my friend. So in less than 10 years she went from having a peer group to being alone in her "generation". It was several more years before someone else entered and stayed.

Luckily, my friend hadn't entered with this order because of their full novitiate, or because she loved their habit (in fact, she was delighted when that changed a few years later!) or anything else which changed over the years. No, she joined them because of their charism and prayer and understanding of community and service, and because she felt so strongly that here was where God was calling her to be. And that's why she stayed, despite being rocked by all the departures.

And that's the only reason anyone should enter anywhere. Not because of anything which can so easily change (like personnel, location, externals etc), but because of the things that are timeless, because they are the only things that will endure. It's about building your house on rock rather than shifting sands.

So I'd say it isn't really to do with 7 v 90 or teaching v book-binding or location A v location B any of which can easily change within a few years, but about the things which are enduring and at the heart of the community.

What is it about the monastery that is enduring and timeless and has made your heart leap and say "yes, this is the place God has prepared for me!" ?

This, a hundred times. I need it stapled to my face.

Sister Leticia

Marigold - please don't staple anything to your face - it will only hurt!! Just tuck it into your heart, where God already is, and he will do the rest :)

Archaeology cat

I've a soft spot for Benedictines, as my parish in Liverpool was run by Benedictines from Ampleforth Abbey. My prayers are with you as you discern God's will, whatever that may be. :)