An Old School Catholic Message Board

Question For Any Texans

Ark

Peace be with you all,

I'm considering moving out to Texas, for you brothers and sisters living there, any experience with Spring, TX? Any places you would recommend looking into?

franciscanheart

I have friends in Conroe who really love it there. Have a couple friends in Houston too who don't hate it. Texas is a good choice. :like:

PhuturePriest

Don't move to Texas unless you like incredible heat, but always dreading the rain because rain inevitably means hail and tornadoes.

0357ca98c50449b32a204a1149c9d01d3aab619e

If you've never experienced true heat, paint peeling heat, and extreme humidity, the kind where you are never dry 7-8 months a year, then you will be in for some serious adjustment.

franciscanheart

Hmm. Tornadoes and humidity. Wonder how McKinney received such a high rating in money mag?

Don't let people scare you. Apparently it's humid today but you can't really tell. It's true: we do get some wicked humidity sometimes. But it's not always insufferable.

McKinney is a beautiful area and it's really gotten big lately. I have a lot of friends in McKinney -- some who have lived there when it was just fields and others who have just settled there with kids.

Plano is another popular area in the metroplex. Dallas proper is wonderful. The Park Cities, if you can afford them, are also beautiful. Check out Highland Park and University Park. Good schools, great parks, cute boutiques.

franciscanheart

Oh, and we don't get that many tornadoes. I think the last one that did any real damage to the more urban areas was a few years ago and before that it had been many years. Get out into places like Denton where everything is still mostly flat and spread out and you'll have more damage. Denton also gets hit with the worst ice and snow in our area, I think. The closer you stay to the metro area, the better off you'll be.

There are some really great neighborhoods in Dallas if you decide to end up here. It's as diverse as other cities, though I'm not sure everyone realizes that when they visit. Go a few miles in any direction and you'll get a totally different atmosphere. I don't know what kind of an environment you're into (I assumed small town since you mentioned Spring), but check out Uptown, Downtown, Oak Lawn, White Rock, Lakewood, Lake Highlands, and Preston Hollow. Those are all unique areas with very different environments and people.

Our sister city, Fort Worth, is smaller and more quaint / charming throughout. It's a good option too, if you're in to that kind of thing. They have a great downtown area. Four Day Weekend is there and it's my favorite troupe. If you're checking out this city, it's also worth checking into Keller, Watauga, and North Richland Hills. I have friends in all of those places and they all like them for different reasons. (I don't like the area because everything looks the same -- same white stone on 7-Eleven and the bank. Weird.)

Edited by franciscanheart

PhuturePriest

Dallas Fort Worth is my favourite airport. That might count for something. :|

Going with this grain, Chicago O'Hare is one of the worst airports in the world, so I would recommend moving as far south in Texas as possible (Say, South Padre Island, which is absolutely gorgeous and a lot of fun) so you can be as far away from Chicago as possible.

How would you rank the following Texan cities: Dallas, Houston, Austin

Austin is the best city if you are young and weird. Amazing music scene.

Houston is the worst. Thats where you will find humidity. Don't ever go there. It's terrible.

Dallas/Ft Worth Metroplex has the best of everything. Two cities connected by passenger rail. Both cities are very different. Huge craft beer scene. All the major pro sports. Theme parks. Museums. Small towns and country surrounding you. And right smack dab in the middle of it all is the greatest city in Texas: Arlington, aka Ag Town, home to yours truly.

My girlfriend lives in Houston. She hates the traffic, but other than that likes it. Of course, she only has to live there Sept-May, meaning she misses the worst of the heat. 

Texas may be where I end up moving, once I finish my degree. We shall see.