An Old School Catholic Message Board

Question For Any Texans

Ark

Alright friends, so I'll be visiting Austin soon and just wanted to ask, if you had to suggest one place a person must visit, what would it be? I want to get a real feel for the atmosphere of the city.

Thanks and God bless

​There's really not anything like that I can think of. That's kinda like asking the one place to visit in New Orleans. Like New Orleans, Austin is almost a different culture. The best thing to do really is drive around and eat at all the highest rated taco places. Haha.

Oh, and watch 2 million bats come out from under the bridge at dusk.

Edited by dUSt

How would you Texans rate San Antonio?

​San Antonio is amesome too. Here's my "places I'd want to live in Texas" ranking.

1. Arlington
  2. Fredericksburg
  3. Austin
  4. Ft Worth
  5. San Antonio
  6. La Grange
  7. Corpus Christi
  8. Shiner
  9. Dallas
  10. El Paso

258. Houston

PhuturePriest

​San Antonio is amesome too. Here's my "places I'd want to live in Texas" ranking.

1. Arlington
  2. Fredericksburg
  3. Austin
  4. Ft Worth
  5. San Antonio
  6. La Grange
  7. Corpus Christi
  8. Shiner
  9. Dallas
  10. El Paso

258. Houston

​I'll second Corpus Christi. I also recommend South Padre Island.

franciscanheart

1. Arlington
  2. Fredericksburg
  3. Austin
  4. Ft Worth
  5. San Antonio
  6. La Grange
  7. Corpus Christi
  8. Shiner
  9. Dallas
  10. El Paso

258. Houston

​Austin I understand. Shiner made me laugh. But Dallas comes after San Antonio? WHY? And I get that you live in Arlington so of course you are rating it high, but no actually I don't understand that either...

What is there in Arlington that's so attractive to you?

Arlington is in the middle of Ft Worth and Dallas--two major cities with lots going on (the alternative is Grand Prairie... lol... as if)

Arlington is the largest city in the United States without public transportation, so you get the benefits of living in the middle of everything, but the poor people who can't afford cars are very limited.

Texas Rangers baseball. If I decide I want to catch a game I drive 5 minutes, not an hour in traffic from Dallas.

The Dallas fake boob crowd is far enough away to not bother me.

I like dive places, not $8 a beer places.

My season pass to Six Flags is way more convenient for me. Again, 5 minutes away, not an hour drive in traffic.

Ginos East is in Arlington. Not in Ft Worth or Dallas.

The concerts and events at AT&T stadium almost make up for the Dallas Cryboys playing there.

Arlington is diverse--there is a Vietnamese section of town for my Pho. There is a Mexican section for my tacos. There is a Lebanese section for my Gyros. There is an Indian section for my curry.

And yes, Arlington will soon be home to the best IPA in the metroplex, as I was invited to a sneek peek tasting before the Division Street Brewing opening (Sorry Mosaic).

Edited by dUSt

franciscanheart

Arlington is in the middle of Ft Worth and Dallas--two major cities with lots going on (the alternative is Grand Prairie... lol... as if)

Arlington is the largest city in the United States without public transportation, so you get the benefits of living in the middle of everything, but the poor people who can't afford cars are very limited.

Texas Rangers baseball. If I decide I want to catch a game I drive 5 minutes, not an hour in traffic from Dallas.

The Dallas fake boob crowd is far enough away to not bother me.

I like dive places, not $8 a beer places.

My season pass to Six Flags is way more convenient for me. Again, 5 minutes away, not an hour drive in traffic.

Ginos East is in Arlington. Not in Ft Worth or Dallas.

The concerts and events at AT&T stadium almost make up for the Dallas Cryboys playing there.

Arlington is diverse--there is a Vietnamese section of town for my Pho. There is a Mexican section for my tacos. There is a Lebanese section for my Gyros. There is an Indian section for my curry.

And yes, Arlington will soon be home to the best IPA in the metroplex, as I was invited to a sneek peek tasting before the Division Street Brewing opening (Sorry Mosaic).

​Arlington is actually closer to Fort Worth than Dallas.

So you hate poor people?

So the two games each year you'll attend are five minutes away. I see.

The Dallas fake boob crowd probably wouldn't even hit your radar if you lived in Dallas. You have to go where they are; they aren't going to come to you. With 1.2 million people in our city, you really think you couldn't exist without seeing fake boobs at every blink?

There are tons of dives in Dallas! Neighborhood bars are alive and real in this great city and it would behoove you to realize it. Welcome to 2015.

You exaggerate. A drive to Six Flags is usually only thirty minutes or so. I know because back in the day, I had a friend (best friend) who lived across the highway. I drove to see her two to four times each week; I know the drive well.

Ginos East? What? Hi: Campisi's. Mobsters and pizza + being able to commiserate with people when they talk about the soupy salad! Where is your head, man?

I've never been to AT&T Stadium and I'm okay with that.

Did you just suggest that Dallas isn't diverse? LOL! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Also, there's a great new Greek place down the street from my house if you ever decide to drive to Dallas instead of having me make the trek to Arizona... Also, check out the Thai place up at 635 & the tollway. I can't think of the name of it right now but it's the most wonderful Thai I've had in a long time (and I love my Thai hole-in-the-walls here in DALLAS).

I can't argue with the IPA. But I have easy access at places like Strangeways and On Rotation.