An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Is It So Difficult To Find A Nice Chotki?

Oremus Pro Invicem

Oremus Pro Invicem

Why is it so difficult to find a nice chotki with beads and tassles that doesn't look like its been made at the yarn barn!?

Any Eastern Catholic or Orthodox peeps know where I can puchase a nice chotki? Every time I find one I like they're sold out.  

Looking for one with dark colors.

Beads.

Tassels.

Edited by dUSt

Why is it so difficult to find a nice chotki with beads and tassles that doesn't look like its been made at the yarn barn!?

Any Eastern Catholic or Orthodox peeps know where I can puchase a nice chotki? Every time I find one I like they're sold out.  

Looking for one with dark colors.

Beads.

Tassels.

Hm. I bought a really nice one last year. I think I ordered it off chotki.com.

http://www.chotki.com/Orthodox-Prayer-Ropes/100-knots.html

Not the cheapest ones around, but it's good quality.

chotki-prayer-rope.jpg

PhuturePriest

Correct!

I'm looking for somthing like this:

E6_B2_D4_C4_972_A_4892_A827_1207_C177_FC

I share in your struggle. Most chotkis have very indistinguishable knots, which is a major issue for me. It's very important that the knots/beads are distinguishable, or you'll lose where you are, plus they look nicer. I much prefer chotkis like the one you display, and ones like this:

chotki2.jpg

I don't mean this unkindly, but... a rosary?

I don't know much about chotki's, and I don't share my fellow Latins Byzantiphilia (which means I know next to nothing about the topic) but I'm assuming this means that for it to be "authentic" it has to be woolen? Also, those are for praying the Jesus Prayer, right? 

Sidenote: Since when has every traddie and their mother become obsessed with Eastern devotions? Rosary not good enough for ya? :P

Edited by Amppax

PhuturePriest

I don't know much about chotki's, and I don't share my fellow Latins Byzantiphilia (which means I know next to nothing about the topic) but I'm assuming this means that for it to be "authentic" it has to be woolen? Also, those are for praying the Jesus Prayer, right? 

Sidenote: Since when has every traddie and their mother become obsessed with Eastern devotions? Rosary not good enough for ya? :P

Here's a brief history on the chotki. As you will find, it is actually a Catholic tradition, not an Orthodox one:

https://thecatholicdormitory.wordpress.com/2013/12/10/how-to-pray-the-chotki/

Oremus Pro Invicem

My interest is due to my uncle who is in the Eastern Rite.  We get together and share things and give each other religious gifts.  

Well yes, it is small-t traditional to make them out of wool. But there are also a lot of wooden ones, and even differently shaped ones (for example, ones that look more like wee ladders)... the point being that it's not a 'Religious Thing' but a tool. I would even say just a tool. That's how I was thinking when I suggested a rosary. I didn't realise that you guys would think that rosary beads are ONLY for praying the Hail Marys etc. And I'm a bit prickly towards the tendency of Christians outside the Orthodox Church to fetishise anything eastern and mystical-looking.