An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Are You Doing This Lent?

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

I'm doing all the same things I do every year, but this time I'm adding stuff. My list goes as such:

Pray a minimum of an hour a day (Mass doesn't count)

Read Life of Christ (Or something else of that ilk once I read all of it) an hour a day

Spiritual reading 30 minutes a day

Reading the Bible 15 minutes a day

No pop

Internet use only 4 hours a day

Fast Wednesday and Fridays

And finally, go vegan. I've never done this before, so it will be quite interesting. I mentioned it to my sister, and then she said that it's actually a practice Eastern Catholics do, so obviously it's in good taste. :|

Let's hope my love of bread, rice, noodles, and the occasional pizza are able to keep me going until Sundays.

Perhaps we should make this into a Lenten Support Group? We can talk on here throughout Lent to keep everyone accountable, and reproachfully shame those who simply didn't love Christ enough to not eat a chocolate bar. :|

Careful that you have a solid diet plan if you are going vegan. It would be easy to accidentally neglect something important.

PhuturePriest

Careful that you have a solid diet plan if you are going vegan. It would be easy to accidentally neglect something important.

My diet is so awful now that my body is craving a vegan diet, I assure you. Fruit and rice will make it feel better than it has since I was but a zygote.

I recommend peanut sesame noodles. Katy and I have a really good recipe for it. Throw in some tofu lightly fried in peanut butter for the extra protein. Chopped toasted peanuts and cilantro on top. Great stuff. Wonderful texture, and a good amount of heat.

Sounds yummy! A lot of people I know just eat South- or East-Asian food during the fasts, because it's tasty, healthy and vegan. If I were to just subtract the meat and dairy from my normal diet, I'd go bonkers! :)

And I think I'm going to give away my laptop this Lent... 

Oremus Pro Invicem

Lent 2015:

Restrict internet time.

Make an effort to add an extra Mass in my weekly schedule.

Restrict TV.

Pray for the grace to carry on this practice after Lent!

No Youtube.

I also plan to read Life of Christ.

I am going to try "praying the hours," as suggested to me by a sister. Basically, it involves offering a short prayer at the beginning of each hour of the day.

Avoid sweets and excess snacks.

Be more friendly and caring toward the people around me.

PhuturePriest, going vegan sounds really interesting. I have a mostly vegetarian, plant-based diet, and I really like it. It is important to get protein, though, so I recommend trying alternative proteins, like tofu, tempah, and other products. When prepared correctly, they can be quite tasty!

Edited by HopefulHeart

Ash Wednesday

I am undergoing screening for Celiac disease. I have to eat gluten for 6 weeks and when you're gluten intolerant, it's not fun. I do not know the extent of my gluten intolerance, only that I have it. But I can only know for sure with a series of tests. One would think eating gluten items like pastries and pasta and the like isn't a penance but it causes me a lot of physical distress and honestly can't wait to go back to my previous diet. But by medical necessity it has to be done in order to get accurate test results. So I'm going to offer up that suffering it causes for souls. 

"I'm going to eat bread, chocolate and beer!"

Strangest. Lent. Ever.

Spem in alium

Last night my superior put up some info on our noticeboard about a "Lent Carbon Fast". I had a brief look at it - it seems to be quite environmentally focused (don't use plastic bags, start growing your own produce, that kind of thing). Not sure if we're actually doing it, or if it's simply a suggestion. 

We are running a Lent retreat for young women in early March, which should be helpful. I don't know what we'll be doing as a community for Lent, but as an individual, I will try and deepen my relationship with God through striving to remove from my life anything that hinders that, and through an increase in prayer, reflection, and charity.

PhuturePriest

For added interest, I'm also doing somewhat of an interesting thing and limiting the amount of times I look in a mirror to only 5 times a day. That doesn't seem like much, but I'm willing to bet it's going to be a lot more difficult than I anticipate.

Obviously, things like looking in your rear-view mirror so as to ensure proper driving safety don't count.

Let's hope my love of bread, rice, noodles, and the occasional pizza are able to keep me going until Sundays.

where are you getting vegan pizza cheese

PhuturePriest

where are you getting vegan pizza cheese

I grew up on pizza without cheese, it's possible. 

Correct. I hate cheese. I love pizza, but I hate cheese, so I always peel it off. The thought of eating pizza with cheese on it didn't even cross my mind, and the thought is completely foreign to me at this point.