An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Are You Doing This Lent?

PhuturePriest

Correct. I hate cheese. I love pizza, but I hate cheese, so I always peel it off. The thought of eating pizza with cheese on it didn't even cross my mind, and the thought is completely foreign to me at this point.

The idea, now that I've outgrown my allergy to dairy, of someone intentionally peeling off the cheese, makes absolutely no sense.

But hey, whatever floats your boat. 

PhuturePriest

The idea, now that I've outgrown my allergy to dairy, of someone intentionally peeling off the cheese, makes absolutely no sense.

But hey, whatever floats your boat. 

You don't get pizza without cheese, do you? Every pizza has it. Since I don't like cheese, it only makes sense for me to take it off, much like a person who doesn't like pepperoni would take the pepperoni off their pizza.

Sr. MMcM RSCJ

Dear Future Priest,
Another perspective: if you are planning to change your diet for Lent:
I hope you would not place -any consequence or burden of that shift on anyone else (like your Mother or anyone in your family), whether in terms of different food purchases, any additional food costs, any additional or supplemental food preparation etc.

That would seem to be quite important, especially if you are neither working nor studying full-time.
Lenten practices ought not to burden others, right?

Daily Mass, daily participation in the Liturgy of the Hours at a Dominican Priory, daily group rosary, visits to the Blessed Sacrament and Our Lady, confession 3 times a week, traditional fasting from Mon-Sun (nothing before 12 noon, only two small meals not greater than dinner), Friday abstinence, poor sleeping quarters (no comfortable bed or pillows), and working on the virtue of patience.

I didn't choose any of this. Since I'll have no money, be staying in a hostel, and be right next door to a Dominican Priory, circumstances have dictated my Lent. :P

Katiebobatie94

I am giving up bread.....I work in a sandwich shop so. 

I am also going to TRY to give up complaining

Also Daily Mass on all days where it doesn't effect my class attendance

Add an extra hour of adoration in each week.

Participate in a Lenten small group at my parish. Which has the added bit of having to get up at 8 am. Which doesn't sound that bad but when you consider I normally don't go to bed until after 1am 8am can be a bit rough. (I get off work at 12am not home until 1230am and then by the time I wind down and go to bed it is well after 1am),

I might try to find a few places to volunteer at as well.

Also a possible personal "pilgrimage" to Holy Hill.

I'm a bit confused. When I became Catholic in Belgium, I was taught to fast every day during Lent, except Sundays. However I read on the Internet that the American bishops only require fasting on Ash Wednesday, Good Friday, and all Fridays during Lent. Why is that?

Anyway, my plan is (1) one hour of mental prayer a day; (2) no news sites. 

Edited by Catlick

can someone help me, i grew up in a presbyterian household where lent wasn't a thing. how do you 'do' lent? more importantly, what is the meaning i should invest in it while doing it?

can someone help me, i grew up in a presbyterian household where lent wasn't a thing. how do you 'do' lent? more importantly, what is the meaning i should invest in it while doing it?

Lent is 40 days of preparation for Easter. The traditional three ways of "doing" Lent are fasting prayer and alms giving. 

Fasting at the most basic is on Ash Wednesday (this coming Wednesday, the official start of Lent) and Good Friday.This means that you have 1 meal and then two smaller meals that combined cannot be the same as the full meal. All fridays during Lent are days of abstience, meaning you don't eat meat. Hence Friday fish fries. The requirements vary by country so check out your diocese's website for their particular guidelines.

Prayer is pretty self explanatory. Most people commit to praying more often. 

Alms giving can be divided into talent, time and treasure. I know some people will give something up and then take the money they saved from that and donate it to charity. Or others will volunteer during Lent.

The purpose of all of this is to grow spiritually. That must be our goal of any Lenten practice. Another guideline my priest once gave was that what your give up or do during Lent should make you easier to live with not harder. So if you get really cranky without your coffee that may not be the best thing to give up. 

I hope this helped.

Ancilla Domini

Correct. I hate cheese. I love pizza, but I hate cheese, so I always peel it off. The thought of eating pizza with cheese on it didn't even cross my mind, and the thought is completely foreign to me at this point.

are-you-even-human_gp_1916253.jpg

PhuturePriest

are-you-even-human_gp_1916253.jpg

As I explained in another thread, I have an abnormal amount of taste buds, meaning my tongue is much more sensitive to taste and I'm thus pickier about foods, and I prefer plainer tasting foods, because they're less likely to upset my taste buds and their taste is stronger to me than others.

I'd really love to give up feeling like utter shite for Lent. I can't even focus on Lent when I haven't even been to Mass for 3 weeks.