An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Need Help

PhuturePriest

6 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

PhuturePriest

I'm buying a chotki so I can use it specifically during Lent (The idea is to be in a state of constant, unceasing prayer).

However, there is a problem.

Which color should I get?

41008.jpeg

41009.jpeg

The black is more traditional, and it represents death, which is cool. The beauty of the blue cannot be denied, however.

Edited by PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

My only regret with the black is I can't find one like this specific one with red beads, which is the type of chotki I like best. However, you can't have everything in life.

PhuturePriest

I think black is more appropriate especially as a Lenten devotion.
Have you checked chotki.com?

I have, but I don't like woolen chotkis. These are "heavy floss", which is the same material we make rope rosaries with, and I very much prefer the feel and the style. More importantly, the knots are more distinct and easier to focus on.

And agreed. But this isn't just for Lent, really. I'm hoping to build it as a virtue of unceasing prayer that will (hopefully) last me the rest of my life.

There is just something about the black that I like, though.

PhuturePriest

I think black is more appropriate especially as a Lenten devotion.
Have you checked chotki.com?

Not to mention this particular 100 knot chotki is made by monks, and it's currently on sale for $12, down from its usual $20. chotki.com can't beat that price for the same quality.

I have, but I don't like woolen chotkis. These are "heavy floss", which is the same material we make rope rosaries with, and I very much prefer the feel and the style. More importantly, the knots are more distinct and easier to focus on.

And agreed. But this isn't just for Lent, really. I'm hoping to build it as a virtue of unceasing prayer that will (hopefully) last me the rest of my life.

There is just something about the black that I like, though.

Not to mention this particular 100 knot chotki is made by monks, and it's currently on sale for $12, down from its usual $20. chotki.com can't beat that price for the same quality.

Ah, I see. When I got mine I figured "well I have plenty of beads with my rosaries. Might as well change it up with the chotki and go all wool."

PhuturePriest

Ah, I see. When I got mine I figured "well I have plenty of beads with my rosaries. Might as well change it up with the chotki and go all wool."

I don't like the wool because the knots are hardly distinguishable between each other. The heavy floss isn't a bead, but it's higher quality and is better distinguished.

PhuturePriest

Forgive my ignorance.........but is there anything you can do on a chotki that cannot be done on a rosary? 

The chotki is a religious item specifically made for the Jesus Prayer. Can you technically use a rosary for that? Yes, but that's no reason not to buy a chotki. The only reason we say the Chaplet of Divine Mercy on the rosary is because a sacramental was never established for it. The Jesus Prayer has a sacramental made specifically for it, and is completely separate from the Rosary.