An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is This A Mortal Sin?

Guest Cd234

I've struggled with lust before, but I've been slolu getting over it. the other night, however, my boyfriend and I fell into temptation. What started off as kissing lead to a little something more (we did not have sex). I feel extremely guilty but I don't know if it's a mortal sin? Is it?

• 3 weeks later...
Basilisa Marie

I've struggled with lust before, but I've been slolu getting over it. the other night, however, my boyfriend and I fell into temptation. What started off as kissing lead to a little something more (we did not have sex). I feel extremely guilty but I don't know if it's a mortal sin? Is it?

​Honestly that might depend on exactly what you did. 

Mortal sins require a grave matter, full knowledge, and full consent. That means it has to be a serious thing, you have to know that it's a serious thing (and that it's a sin), and you have to freely choose to do it. But it's not always clear if your own situation meets that criteria.  Sex (intercourse) outside of marriage is certainly a grave matter, but other kinds of sexual activity can also be a grave matter. 

However, whether or not it was a mortal sin, it sounds like you need to go to Confession. The fact that you're feeling very guilty about it tells me that even if it wasn't a mortal sin, you know it was something you shouldn't have been doing, that it was sinful. Go to Confession, renew your resolve to not put yourself in a situation where you could fall into sin again, and talk about how you feel about it with your boyfriend so you can help each other avoid sin in the future.