An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mars One Top 100 Candidates Released

CrossCuT

Almost a quarter of a million humans had the guts to apply, and now, two years on, the names of 100 hopeful space explorers who are still in the running for a one-way ticket to Mars have just been released to the public.
Since the application process opened in 2013, more than 202,000 aspiring astronauts applied to the nonprofit foundation to help make this dream become a reality. This was rapidly slashed to just over 1,000 in the first round, then to 660. Now, after online interviews with Mars One medical director Norbert Kraft, these have been culled to just 100.

The round three survivors consist of 50 men and 50 women, ranging in age from 19 to 60. Thirty nine come from the Americas, 31 from Europe, 16 from Asia, seven from Africa and seven from Australia. A diverse bunch, to say the least—one candidate, who calls himself “M1-K0,” claims to be a Martian himself, one of the first four to arrive on Earth. Hmm.

When my ancestors came to North America 400 years ago, that was pretty much a one way trip. Can't imagine how scary that must have been.

When my ancestors came to North America 400 years ago, that was pretty much a one way trip. Can't imagine how scary that must have been.

Yeah! I wish I had the guts to be a pilgrim on a new planet. Its so scary! Just trying to imagine not ever coming back to earth is so difficult of a thing to think about. 

This is really interesting! It's amusing that one of the candidates claims to be a Martian.  

Yeah! I wish I had the guts to be a pilgrim on a new planet. Its so scary! Just trying to imagine not ever coming back to earth is so difficult of a thing to think about. 

I know, I don't think I'd be brave enough to be a pioneer on a new planet. It reminds me of the introduction to A Wrinkle in Time, where L'Engle asks "If anybody invited you to go to newly discovered galaxy, would you go?" Whenever I read that, my answer has always been, "Nah, I think I'd stay home."  :hehe:

This is really interesting! It's amusing that one of the candidates claims to be a Martian.  

I know, I don't think I'd be brave enough to be a pioneer on a new planet. It reminds me of the introduction to A Wrinkle in Time, where L'Engle asks "If anybody invited you to go to newly discovered galaxy, would you go?" Whenever I read that, my answer has always been, "Nah, I think I'd stay home."  :hehe:

Oh my latte I havent been in a conversation that references a Wrinkle In Time in fooooorrever. Props just for that! But its a very awesome question. 
I really want to live long enough to see us move to another habitable planet (if we find some legit contenders) and see if there is life there.

What will it look like? Will there be huge creatures? Small creatures? Crazy creatures? Will they be like us? I want to know that so badly. It makes me sad knowing ill be dead long before then. 

Oh my latte I havent been in a conversation that references a Wrinkle In Time in fooooorrever. Props just for that! But its a very amesome question. 
I really want to live long enough to see us move to another habitable planet (if we find some legit contenders) and see if there is life there.

What will it look like? Will there be huge creatures? Small creatures? Crazy creatures? Will they be like us? I want to know that so badly. It makes me sad knowing ill be dead long before then. 

Lol, that book had a big impact on me as a kid. I even adapted it into a sort of musical that I acted out with my stuffed animals.

It is really interesting to think about what sort of life forms we might find, if there are any at all. The universe (or multiverse, if you ascribe to that theory), is such an incredibly fascinating place. There's so much yet to be discovered.... :)

Lol, that book had a big impact on me as a kid. I even adapted it into a sort of musical that I acted out with my stuffed animals.

It is really interesting to think about what sort of life forms we might find, if there are any at all. The universe (or multiverse, if you ascribe to that theory), is such an incredibly fascinating place. There's so much yet to be discovered.... :)

Ah the wonders of the multiverse. I cant even describe how deeply these things interest me. I would suggest Interstellar for an emotional and intellectual roller coaster ride. 

Ah the wonders of the multiverse. I cant even describe how deeply these things interest me. I would suggest Interstellar for an emotional and intellectual roller coaster ride. 

The Oscars didn't nominate Interstellar for Best Picture. Just let that sink in. #deathtotheoscars

I thought it was nominated? Well in any case I dont expect it to win. The Oscars are also the downfall of the creative industry because its all a farce. 

Explain to me how the film that wins best director, screenplay, cinematography, blah blah blah also doesnt win best picture? Or how those things are not somehow related? 

And if you win best picture but you dont win in the other categories then should you still be winning best picture? 

MarysLittleFlower

I personally can't imagine going on a one way trip to another planet. With other continents it must be scary but you are on earth... Here you'll never even see things like trees again. I find that frightening and I can't imagine living and dying on a distant planet where its always very cold and no vegetation/animals. Maybe its exciting the first few days but in 5 years?

Yeah, I took a couple of classes in which the multiverse theory was examined. It made for some interesting discussions. I've heard good things about Interstellar; I'll definitely check it out at some point. :)

With regard to the Oscars, my response is simply:  meh.

The only weird thing about this Mars One thing is that...Nasa really isnt even involved. So it leaves you wonder, who in the world is in charge of this? Do they have sufficient experts? Or are these people going to arrive on mars and live in a tent and die instantly?