An Old School Catholic Message Board

Monkish Humor

Luigi

I follow the weekly chronicle of the Trappist monks (nine monks and two postulants or novices) at Calvary abbey in New Brunswick, Canada. http://www.calvaryabbey.com/weeklychronicle.html 

Not a whole lot of terribly exciting events, but every now and then Brother Chronicler posts something wryly funny. Such as 2015, February 15, Sunday: 

" Lunch today was taken to the soothing sounds of the honky tonk heroes of days gone by. Freddy Fender, pray for us!"

Example #2: A generally complimentary description of one of the monks at St. Louis Benedictine Abbey. The last detail, though, reveals his human weakness - or, at least, nature. 

Father Linus Dolce pdf_button.png printButton.png emailButton.png
Father Linus is a man of intense focus and deep asceticism. Already an accomplished scientist, teacher, and athlete when he arrived, Linus’ talents now serve him well in our school.  He is an ardent fan of Thomas Aquinas, peanut butter, rock-climbing, and hiking.  He hates carrots.

I follow the weekly chronicle of the Trappist monks (nine monks and two postulants or novices) at Calvary abbey in New Brunswick, Canada. http://www.calvaryabbey.com/weeklychronicle.html 

Not a whole lot of terribly exciting events, but every now and then Brother Chronicler posts something wryly funny. Such as 2015, February 15, Sunday: 

" Lunch today was taken to the soothing sounds of the honky tonk heroes of days gone by. Freddy Fender, pray for us!"

I don't think "the soothing sound of the honky tonk heroes of days gone by" was the actual theme chosen by the abbot for lunch that day. The monastery is having a geothermal heating system installed, and I suspect that the monks' lunch was - shall we say "enriched"? - by the music of the construction workers.

A Lenten penance, no doubt, but not described as such.

My favorite monkish line of all time, from the Rule of St. Benedict, chapter 39:

6Should it happen that the work is heavier than usual, the abbot may decide—and he will have the authority—to grant something additional, provided that it is appropriate, 7and that above all overindulgence is avoided, lest a monk experience indigestion.

ROTFL

My favorite: An elderly Benedictine monk was warned that some people had a tendency to take advantage of his kindness and generosity. His response: "I certainly hope so!"  [From http://www.amazon.com/Wisdom-Benedictine-Elders-Americas-Greatest-ebook/dp/B005SZULSS/ which is a great book!]

• 1 month later...

What do you call a nun at a costume party?

A blessing in disguise

What do you call 2 cities owened by nuns?

Sister cities

What do you call a monk who walks in his sleep?

a roam'in Catholic

• 3 weeks later...
The post below is from Subiaco (Arkansas) Abbey's Facebook page. Follow the link and scroll down to the day to see photos. https://www.facebook.com/SubiacoMonks/posts/799119370170102 (This is not even an April Fool's Day post! Although... the Church has anticipated feast days, so maybe this is an anticipated April Fool's Day post.)

THE KNIGHTS OF SUBIACO: Abbot Leonard has become deeply concerned about the lax offensive and defensive training of our Juniors, Novices and Candidate. Moreover, we are always concerned about the threat of raids from the marauders of Paris, New Blaine and Scranton. As a result, Abbot Leonard has reinstituted the ancient training program in Medieval Monastic Martial Arts and Swordsmanship for our Novices. Our two novices, Clifford Heyer and Joseph Owens were recently pictured practicing defensive maneuvers in the stairwells when the former AbbotJerome Kodell happened upon them. If those dastardly foreign marauders were to be able to penetrate our perimeter defenses, then we will unleash the ultimate weapon....yes, our Legion of solemnly professed Monks will join their Padawans with their light sabers. Jedi Knights were merely Junior Varsity compared to our Subiaco Knights! Our novices, juniors and candidate will cover the flanks with their sabers, while our solemnly professed like Elijah Owens Osb, with students of the Houses that form Subiaco at his side, venture out head-on in battle. Of course...ALL wearing Benedictine medals!