An Old School Catholic Message Board

Monkish Humor

Luigi

From the weekly chronicle of Our Lady of Calvary Trappist abbey in eastern Canada: 

Tuesday 21st. The technician was in today regarding the new compressor for the walk-in freezer. He was just in time for the food to return from the refectory to the wash-up area, and so snagged a piece of banana bread. Yesterday he was here in time for bread pudding. 

Thursday 23rd. The walk-in freezer broke down again, the repair person came back again, this time he had an entire lunch! It's good to be in maintenance! 

I know that friars are NOT monks, but I didn't want to start a separate thread.

Here are some Polish Dominicans having fun with a Lady Gaga song. The only word I can catch is Do-min-I-can-es. Their dancing has perhaps more energy than style, but they're out there working it!

http://www.gloria.tv/media/1F1sN1daD4N

sr.christinaosf

Your thread made me think of my post on Our Franciscan Fiat, A Bad Case of the Giggles:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I remember, growing up, my younger sister had a book of humorous rhymes, entitled A Bad Case of the Giggles.  We very much enjoyed the funny little quips it had.  The conclusion of tonight's vespers (Evening Prayer), believe it or not, brought the title of anthology to mind.

You see, during Easter week, the flow of our prayers is a little different.  In place of the normal responsory after the readings, we say or sing: "This is the day the Lord has made..."  A little confusion caused the person leading Vespers to conclude in a very unconventional manner (using this responsory instead of the conclusion for Vespers).  The sequence of events caused the corners of my mouth to curve upward a little at first, and a bit of a chuckle.  Then, when she interjected the omitted concluding formulary in between our supplemental prayers after vespers, the giggle snuck out; it could hardly be stopped.  This inspired stiffled giggles from another pray-er.   Another gentleman even caught on.  We certainly didn't mean to be irreverent - It's a good thing we have the fine example of St. Philip Neri to fall back on (He is known for his joyfulness and love of humor.)

St. Philip Neri

I suppose, if giggles have to escape in chapel, Monday within the octave of Easter is as good a time as any.

• 4 weeks later...

Brother Chronicler of the Trappist monastery of Calvaire in eastern Canada says (in a may 2015 post): (italics mine)

Sunday 31st. This evening the barn cats relaxed in front of the big barn doors through which hay goes in and out, while further to the east cows from the heifer barn were grazing on their large field. How many cats do we actually have? That is one of monastic life's more difficult questions.

(Maybe we should start a thread about that at the Debate Table.)

Spem in alium

((Maybe we should start a thread about that at the Debate Table.)

​This is an excellent idea which I enthusiastically endorse.

The question of the day is not, "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?" but "How many cats does the monastery have?" followed by "How many cats can should the monastery have?" which will no doubt lead to "How many cats can the monastery afford?" and "How many cats can the monastery love and raise in the faith?"

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We know how important silence is in Trappist monasteries. But oxygen is, too. Outside contractors have been installing a geo-thermal heating system in Calvary Trappist monastery in Canada; the work has been ongoing for quite some time.  

"...the new geo-thermal system was switched on in room after room in order to test it. It makes a little sound, essentially the sound of a fan, though the louvres also move up and down to circulate the warm air making the faintest "whir-r, whir-r". The oil radiators made a lot more noise than that at times! The acoustics in chapel bring out the fan's sound a bit. But simply having them on there can make the chapel in summer a better place. Without them, there's basically no air moving, so you can sometimes feel there's a bit of oxygen missing."

• 2 months later...

From Assumption Abbey's (North Dakota) July 2015 newsletter:

March 16: Candidate Matthew Rubbelke was received into the novitiate at Vespers. Abbot Brian wore his miter and held his crosier for the ceremony and it’s good to see him in his regalia once in a while. Matthew hails from Minot, ND. For a very brief time we had two people in the novitiate, but on March 21, Novice Luke professed vows and became Br. Jude. We are currently accepting applications for positions in the novitiate. The pay is lousy but the benefits are amesome!

Edited by Luigi

11391660_10153959551313135_9191735947008

A Dominican and a Jesuit...no, this is not a joke! Fr. Gerald Albert Buckley, OP, visits his brother, Fr. Cornelius Buckley, SJ, at Thomas Aquinas College on the occasion of Fr. Cornelius' 90th birthday. Ad multos annos, Father!

Holy Rosary Church's photo.
Holy Rosary ChurchLike Page

Our own Fr. Gerald Buckley, OP, surprised his older brother, Fr. Cornelius M. Buckley, SJ, down at Thomas Aquinas College on the occasion of Fr. Cornelius' 90th Birthday today.

Truly, two great men in their respective orders!

• 2 weeks later...

From Assumption Abbey, Richardton ND. Facebook, 11-20-15. 

12249732_10153230851772469_6642513347408

Br Jude, Novice Matthew,and Candidate Mark have made a couple of aggravation-type games out of scrap wood. Don't be fooled by their angelic smiles which just get larger as they joyfully move the poor prior's marbles to the start box even though they are gently warned they may be placed on dish duty for weeks on end if they continue their destructive strategies. Warnings they gleefully ignore. Be that as it may, it has been fun using the boards and their skills greatly are appreciated!