An Old School Catholic Message Board

Father Isaac Mary Relyea

Catlick

I began listening to Father Isaac Mary Relyea's Lenten Mission yesterday. Man, what a preacher! Never heard a priest preach with such a fire. Reminds me of how the Old Testament prophets went about denouncing the sins of Israel and calling for conversion. 

Does anyone here know Father Relyea? What do you think of him? Do you know similar priests?

From what I've found, it seems that Father Relyae is a former Franciscan who left in good standing and was incardinated in an American diocese, where he celebrates Tridentine Mass and assists FSSP. 

Oremus Pro Invicem

I've heard his talks on the YouTube channel VideoSancto. I like his talks. Other priests whom I enjoy are Fr. Gerard Saguto FSSP and Fr. Simon Harkins FSSP. Their superior Fr. John Berg FSSP also gives amazing talks and sermons.

Yes, I know him well.  He used to substitute for our pastor whenever he had to travel.  We used to say that whenever he was there, we would leave the church with a burning a desire to give everything up for Christ and enter the monastery asap.  He's a great preacher.

From what I've found, it seems that Father Relyae is a former Franciscan who left in good standing and was incardinated in an American diocese, where he celebrates Tridentine Mass and assists FSSP. 

He used to assist the FSSP in Kansas City, but he's been in the Diocese of Madison, WI now for a few years with the intention to found a new Franciscan community. You probably saw his site, http://stpiosfriary.com/ I'm not sure how that is going. I love that apparition though. It would be great to have a community of Friars like that.

He used to assist the FSSP in Kansas City, but he's been in the Diocese of Madison, WI now for a few years with the intention to found a new Franciscan community. You probably saw his site, http://stpiosfriary.com/ I'm not sure how that is going. I love that apparition though. It would be great to have a community of Friars like that.

Why doesn't he join FSSP? 

I listened to the first two minutes and thought he sounded Calvinist.  :cry: To say nothing of attacking other mission preachers in the first minute. It struck me as unhealthy to say the least.

veritasluxmea

I started with the prelude and it didn't sound to scary to me (and I scare easily lol). I haven't listened to part 1 so maybe that's where it gets scary or Calvinistic or something. Anyways, my main concern was 10 minutes into the Prelude. He says- and I'm almost exactly quoting here- that anyone who says that Muslims worship the same God [as Catholics] is a heretic [is heresy]. I agree it's a very perverted (as in wrong) religion and there are so many things wrong with it, but according to the Catechism...

CCC 841 The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place amongst whom are the Muslims; these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind’s judge on the last day.

That's probably the only thing they have correct, and according to the Church not a heretic for saying so. But according to him I am. Hum.

Another thing I think could be understood differently/is wrong is the Typhoon "example."  A bit before the Muslim/heretic thing he talks about how Indonesia was leveled by a Typhoon, and it was God's punishment for all the terrible things happening in that country (mainly the sex trade on children). I see it differently- I think Satan is the source of all destruction and the source of that Typhoon. Satan was able to "get his way" with the country due to the terrible things going on there, which is where I agree with Fr. However, I don't think God was the direct cause of the Typhoon- I don't think God wanted the Typhoon to happen. Many young children and innocents perished in the Typhoon. Was that what God wanted? No, that was what Satan wanted, and as soon as he got his way (when the people turned to him) he went for it and sent the Typhoon. And God uses the Typhoon as an opportunity to get people to repent and turn to Him (if they will).

That's also what I think goes on in the Old Testament destructions- it's not that God sent it as much as they turned from God, to satan, and satan was able to have his way to kill and destroy because, really, that's all he wants. In the OT such events are recorded as being sent by God or angels because that is how it would seem to people living at that time as they didn't quite understand the person of satan or the nature of God yet. Anyways, it's not a Catechism question and I think his view is valid and can be held, I just don't agree with him so I'm putting out my 2 cents. My main beef is with the Muslim/heretic thing. I'll respectfully disagree and stick with the Church on that.

MarysLittleFlower

I do think that God allows certain things to happen as chastisements for sin... The sin is of the devil but I don't think the chastisements are directly caused by the devil. They are events that are allowed by God for a reason. We need to trust that He is good... If good and innocent people die too its more like they are martyrs because of the sins of others, maybe.

Its like how Our Lord told St Faustina... He is Just and Merciful and if we don't accept His Mercy, there is only Justice left... Including for nations. We need to understand how horrible sin is. God wants us to choose His Mercy though and repent. That's why there are victim souls who bear the justice or offer sacrifice of themselves in union with Christ.

If it doesn't make sense now I think its best to just trust God and trust we will understand in Heaven :) we need to trust in His goodness in any case cause He already showed this clearly in the Passion. So that's for sure even if nothing else makes sense.

I listen to his sermon on death. Kind of reminded me of "sinners in the hands of an angry God." I mostly agreed with him, however it is a tough message to take. I think about death a lot and am prone to anxiety and depression so there are times when hearing this is just too much.

Just my quick, knee reaction thoughts.

brandelynmarie

I've been listening to Fr. Isaac & Fr. Chad Ripperger on VideoSancto for awhile. Once & awhile they will preach on something I don't agree with, but I do find much of their theology very solid & their homilies thought-provoking. For example, one of them stated they would only pray the rosary as handed down by the Blessed Mother to St. Dominic...with no Luminous Mysteries... I don't necessarily agree with that...but that's just me.

brandelynmarie

I listened to like half the introductory sermon. It was really scary :cry:

What did you find scary about it? :console:

I think about death a lot and am prone to anxiety and depression so there are times when hearing this is just too much.

Listen to his Mission meditation on Hell, towards the end Father Isaac emphasized that we should not fall into despair because we have the awesome (a favorite word of his) love of Mother Mary. So he kind of balances things (judgment-mercy). 

I am a local and know him, and I recently was told by another local that he is no longer going to be ministering in the Madison diocese, he is moving out of the diocese. My understanding is he had been here for a certain period on a trial basis and the time period came to an end. I have prayed for Fr Isaac Mary, partly because I could directly see his ministry not always functioning optimally (this does not capture it perfectly, but it will have to do), and also on many occasions grateful for him celebrating the Holy Sacrifice, mining the treasures of Tradition and teaching us, and aware of friends this loveable priest helped, so this is sad news. Don't blame ANYONE, seriously. May he stay holy wherever he is. The only online indication I have seen is, I like to read the chancery bulletin on the diocesan site (I assure, I am not "connected" in the diocese, just a pewsitter) and in this month's bulletin there is a notice to remove the entry for Relyea, Rev. Isaac Mary from the pastoral handbook. Pray God to bless, keep and guide him if you are grateful for his recordings.