An Old School Catholic Message Board

Could I make confession sacrilege?

Katiebobatie94

Katiebobatie94

So it was recently brought to my attention that if I go into something with the mindset of "Eh. I'll just go to confession for it" that the confession is considered sacrilege. I'm just looking for a little help clarifying. 

Thanks! :) 

• 2 weeks later...
Basilisa Marie

So it was recently brought to my attention that if I go into something with the mindset of "Eh. I'll just go to confession for it" that the confession is considered sacrilege. I'm just looking for a little help clarifying. 

Thanks! :) 

​If you go to Confession and aren't sorry and aren't really going to try to not sin again, then it might not be a valid confession. You're basically trying to abuse the power of the sacrament. So, in that sense, it could be. If you think "I'll just go to confession" and then later on develop true contrition for what you did, it would be a valid confession. 

I don't think sacrilege is the right word. That attitude would be called a sin of presumption, committing a mortal sin with the expectation that God will forgive you later. If you presumed on God's mercy you should mention that in the confessional.