An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Benedictine Postulant

katherineH

Wow. I just got an email notice about this topic and I haven't been on phatmass for a couple of years.  Unfortunately I know some of the jerk priests at the Abbey in Shawnee so I don't see this postulant staying long unless he's into some serious "suffering for Jesus."  I used to be obsessed with becoming a nun. I'm not catholic anymore. Pretty much an atheist now and am SO HAPPY to be free of the nonsense.  I think it's time to delete my profile. 

Wow. I just got an email notice about this topic and I haven't been on phatmass for a couple of years.  Unfortunately I know some of the jerk priests at the Abbey in Shawnee so I don't see this postulant staying long unless he's into some serious "suffering for Jesus."  I used to be obsessed with becoming a nun. I'm not catholic anymore. Pretty much an atheist now and am SO HAPPY to be free of the nonsense.  I think it's time to delete my profile. 

​His Alone - so sorry to hear about your experience with the priests at Shawnee.  It's always difficult and challenging when people who are supposed to represent Jesus to others fail to live up to their calling.  I hope you don't delete your profile! I always enjoy hearing the perspectives of people of different beliefs on this "phorum," I've seen some good dialogue happen that is respectful of other people's viewpoints without it becoming preachy.  

Maybe I'll keep my profile. I know I sounded like the typical "angry atheist" in my post but I'm actually the happiest I've ever been in my life. Yes I have some serious issues with the church and obviously religion in general.  That's what happens when life doesn't fit in a nice neat box anymore and you start asking the big questions.

Just to clarify, atheism is not about hating or rejecting a God that exists. Atheism states that there is just not any verifiable evidence to believe that a god exists.  For me it is freedom from the rediculous arbitrary "shoulds and shouldn'ts" of religion and the fear of punishment and hell that kept me from fully embracing the actual life I'm living right now.  My life is full of purpose, happiness, challenge, sadness, success and failure but it is MY life to live and I take 100% full responsibility for it....diety-free.

Spem in alium

So wonderful to hear about this new entrance. I was particularly touched that the ceremony took place at the front door of the monastery. :)

Maybe I'll keep my profile. I know I sounded like the typical "angry atheist" in my post but I'm actually the happiest I've ever been in my life. Yes I have some serious issues with the church and obviously religion in general.  That's what happens when life doesn't fit in a nice neat box anymore and you start asking the big questions.

Just to clarify, atheism is not about hating or rejecting a God that exists. Atheism states that there is just not any verifiable evidence to believe that a god exists.  For me it is freedom from the rediculous arbitrary "shoulds and shouldn'ts" of religion and the fear of punishment and hell that kept me from fully embracing the actual life I'm living right now.  My life is full of purpose, happiness, challenge, sadness, success and failure but it is MY life to live and I take 100% full responsibility for it....diety-free.

​hey you know I can respect that - we're all trying to do the best we can with what we have.