An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pleasure

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Pleasure is good. Faith, hope, love, peace, courage, patience etc just to name several things that are pleasurable. I really think people believing that the holy catholic church is in anyway against pleasure surely is wrong and I was told by an actual muslim that it is a muslim philosophy that pleasure is evil. Like of course abstinence from certain things as a sacrifice of hope to draw closer to Christ is also good and even as a simple discipline of the flesh life, but the church teaches where not meant to fast to much, or so I've been led to believe. What is everyones understanding of pleasure in there own personal light, the light of Christ and the light of Jesus Christ.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

<edit> the light of the churches teachings and the light of Jesus Christ.

Not A Mallard

God made humans being to accomplish work and sacrifice, but he also made human beings to engage in rest and relaxation, so pleasure is a good thing. However, when one always seeks pleasure, he or she can forget about the other tasks that he or she must accomplish. Therefore, pleasure can be abused, but it's okay to take in moderation. Unfortunately, that's also something that I must work on myself :P

Oremus Pro Invicem

Pleasure is a good thing, but only if it is a means to an end; God, and not made an end in itself.  All things should be for the glory of God, so when they're not used for this reason then we are misusing/abusing them.  The Church is not against pleasure but the abuse/misuse of pleasure. 

God is good.

AccountDeleted

Love and desire precede pleasure in the order of generation. But pleasure precedes them with respect to the account of an end, which in actions has the account of a principle, by which judgment is most of all made, as by a rule or measure.

The "end" here is that which one comes to last, and which thus manifests everything that comes before it. The reason why an act of justice is morally good is indeed the love for justice from which it springs, but the manifestation of the goodness of justice is the delight the just man takes in acting justly. And since a measure or rule has to be readily known, it is pleasure which is described as the measure of goodness, rather than love.

-Aqiunas

• 2 weeks later...
MarysLittleFlower

Pleasure is good. Faith, hope, love, peace, courage, patience etc just to name several things that are pleasurable. I really think people believing that the holy catholic church is in anyway against pleasure surely is wrong and I was told by an actual muslim that it is a muslim philosophy that pleasure is evil. Like of course abstinence from certain things as a sacrifice of hope to draw closer to Christ is also good and even as a simple discipline of the flesh life, but the church teaches where not meant to fast to much, or so I've been led to believe. What is everyones understanding of pleasure in there own personal light, the light of Christ and the light of Jesus Christ.

I don't think anyone here would say that pleasure is wrong... St Thomas makes a good point. The point people would make though is that we shouldn't seek pleasure for its own sake. Also the explanation of many sins is wanting pleasure in a wrong degree or way.

• 3 weeks later...
Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

I don't think anyone here would say that pleasure is wrong... St Thomas makes a good point. The point people would make though is that we shouldn't seek pleasure for its own sake. Also the explanation of many sins is wanting pleasure in a wrong degree or way.

​That would be a disordered pleasure and not pleasure itself. Like the difference between the natural desire for sexual intercourse and lust. Remembering also On the whole sex matter that our LORD says " some are born chaste, some become chaste for the kingdom and some are made chaste by the world."  :)

God is good!

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye
explanation

MarysLittleFlower

​That would be a disordered pleasure and not pleasure itself. Like the difference between the natural desire for sexual intercourse and lust. Remembering also On the whole sex matter that our LORD says " some are born chaste, some become chaste for the kingdom and some are made chaste by the world."  :)

God is good!

Hi, - like I said, wanting pleasure in the wrong degree or way. I didn't talk about pleasure itself.

I heard an idea a couple weeks ago while listening to something about the philosopher Jean-Paul Satre, and they described bodily pleasure / sex as a physical way of drawing out the person inside, making them come alive within themselves and feel that they exist. I thought that was a great idea of what pleasure is, not to deaden what is inside us, but to bring it alive, whether in ourselves (eating, exercise, etc.) or in others (sex, friendship, etc.).

• 3 weeks later...
Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

I heard an idea a couple weeks ago while listening to something about the philosopher Jean-Paul Satre, and they described bodily pleasure / sex as a physical way of drawing out the person inside, making them come alive within themselves and feel that they exist. I thought that was a great idea of what pleasure is, not to deaden what is inside us, but to bring it alive, whether in ourselves (eating, exercise, etc.) or in others (sex, friendship, etc.).

​Yeah i agree, pleasure should illuminate and increase virtue in our life, if it decreases it than it perhaps is not pleasure in the holy sense but something else. And to much of any earthly good can become a bad thing anyway. :)