orapronobis

Strictly cloistered religious communities for men?

orapronobis    114
orapronobis

​I did emigrate from the UK to the US, in 2012. It's not the hardest thing in the world, although there was a bit of hanging around waiting for things to come through. I can give you all the gory details if you want. :)

​Oooh yes please! :) It's just something that has always worried since there are so many amazing communities in the US but I've always been afraid that immigration would hinder my discernment with a community in the US, especially since a lot of communities that are growing and living a traditional religious lifestyle seem to have "all-American" membership.

orapronobis    114
orapronobis

The Berkeley branch of the Camaldolese Order in the US is at:

http://incarnationmonastery.com/

Great newsletters, including a profession of simple vows.

All in all, it sounds like a great place. Those more desirous can live at Big Sur (AB-solutely beau-tiful!!), and if you read carefully, unless they've changed it, a variety of options for 'enclosure' or hermit-like living is available. After all, they do need people to run the place!

It is my impression that those who enter the US for 'religious' reasons, espec those intending and accepted by  (seriously)  a religious order---have an easier time getting thru immigration.   An entire group of Vietnamese nuns entered and sustain an elderly Carmel in the south--not sure where and don't want to guess.  You will have to contact an IMMIGRATION LAWYER about this AFTER you have contacted the religious order(s) you wish to visit and have been accepted by at least one!   You will have to be of age and fulfill the order's requirements.  All in al, a big process, and I wish you luck.  But keep the Camaldoli in mind!

​Thank you! :)

orapronobis    114
orapronobis

Just remembered - Sons of the Holy Redeemer in Scotland - maybe not "cloistered" with grilles and such, but certainly very strict with enclosure and it's a small island that is their's, so there really aren't that many people about from what I understand. 

​I've heard of this community.They do seem to really have the balance right in terms of contemplation and active work. They are also in my country (technically, I live in England and they live in Scotland) so I imagine that it would be pretty easy to arrange to visit when the time comes. Has anyone had any personal experience with this community?

Sr Mary Catharine OP    1,610
Sr Mary Catharine OP

Perhaps you need to actually contact those communities before assuming this because it's not true! The Congregation doesn't necessarily always point out who is from a country other than the US so you can't really tell because a Canadian doesn't always "LOOK" Canadian and the American Irish sister might even look more Irish than the sister from Ireland!

orapronobis    114
orapronobis

Perhaps you need to actually contact those communities before assuming this because it's not true! The Congregation doesn't necessarily always point out who is from a country other than the US so you can't really tell because a Canadian doesn't always "LOOK" Canadian and the American Irish sister might even look more Irish than the sister from Ireland!

Very true sister. I acknowledge that the statement was a bit too sweeping. In an international congregation (Like the Dominicans) how easy is it to transfer from one province to the other? Is it a process that lasts a few months or does it take a number of years?

Luigi    3,338
Luigi

http://www.ocso.org/index.php?option=com_mtree&task=advsearch2&search_id=102&Itemid=88&lang=en

This link takes you to the Trappist worldwide website, specifically the page that lists the monasteries of both women and men in Region of the Isles (Scotland, England, Wales, Ireland). There are five men's monasteries in Ireland (including one in Northern Ireland), one in Scotland, one in Wales (I think this one is on an island), and one in England. One of the Irish monasteries runs a school, so I don't think they'd meet your standards for enclosure, and I have no idea how strict the other houses are about enclosure. There's an English-speaking monastery in Australia, and another in New Zealand, too.

Click on any monastery and you'll see some basic information - essentially the same details for each monastery - and each monastery's page has a link to its own web page where you're likely to find more information.

Good luck researching!

orapronobis    114
orapronobis

http://www.ocso.org/index.php?option=com_mtree&task=advsearch2&search_id=102&Itemid=88&lang=en

This link takes you to the Trappist worldwide website, specifically the page that lists the monasteries of both women and men in Region of the Isles (Scotland, England, Wales, Ireland). There are five men's monasteries in Ireland (including one in Northern Ireland), one in Scotland, one in Wales (I think this one is on an island), and one in England. One of the Irish monasteries runs a school, so I don't think they'd meet your standards for enclosure, and I have no idea how strict the other houses are about enclosure. There's an English-speaking monastery in Australia, and another in New Zealand, too.

Click on any monastery and you'll see some basic information - essentially the same details for each monastery - and each monastery's page has a link to its own web page where you're likely to find more information.

Good luck researching!

​Oh Luigi, you're tempting me to indulge in some major procrastination by sending this link ;)

Sr Mary Catharine OP    1,610
Sr Mary Catharine OP

A man usually enters a specific province with the intention of staying there. Transfers are not that frequent and only done for serious reasons. Nuns also enter the monastery they intend to stay at for life but there are more frequent transfer either for a temporary period or for good. It's due to a lot of different reasons but it is still for a serious one and not done lightly.

orapronobis    114
orapronobis

A man usually enters a specific province with the intention of staying there. Transfers are not that frequent and only done for serious reasons. Nuns also enter the monastery they intend to stay at for life but there are more frequent transfer either for a temporary period or for good. It's due to a lot of different reasons but it is still for a serious one and not done lightly.

​Thank you very much for clearing that up Sister. I was under the impression that you could be transferred to any province depending on where you are needed. It does make a lot more sense to stick to one province, since some provinces undertake different apostolates and offer different opportunities for growth in the religious life :)

Anto P Philip    0
Anto P Philip
On 3/10/2015 at 2:55 AM, Luigi said:

The only other community would be the Carthusians in Vermont. Very little information about them available online, but there is some.

Trappists are pretty cloistered, too, but the degree varies from monastery to monastery.

Dear bro

I'm Anto philip, from India.  I also have the same desire to become strict cloistered. .i too find there is only one men cloistered community inWyoming . But i have the desire to establish a cloistered community..it is possible only if I get likeminded peole..

Im waiting for your response

My mail id is 

Philipanto09@gmail.com 

Luigi    3,338
Luigi
6 hours ago, Anto P Philip said:

Dear bro

I'm Anto philip, from India.  I also have the same desire to become strict cloistered. .i too find there is only one men cloistered community inWyoming . But i have the desire to establish a cloistered community..it is possible only if I get likeminded peole..

Im waiting for your response

My mail id is 

Philipanto09@gmail.com 

Anto - I am in no position to join a monastery. I was providing information for other readers. That is all. Best of luck pursuing your vocation.

Anselm    185
Anselm

Orapronobis (if you're still here), it's interesting that you're from the UK too, as the only men's community that I've ever seen with a grille is St Hugh's Charterhouse, Parkminster, in Sussex!

Benedictus    364
Benedictus
On 10/03/2015 at 5:57 PM, oratefratres said:

Gents - I am interested in mens enclosed monasteries. But, is it true that there is a high prevalence of homosexuality? If you are enclosed, and some take a vows of enclosure, and someone does this to you, what do you do? What is the superior does this to  you, you have no one to tell?

And, how do you have spiritual direction or confession in enclosed comminites?

Does what exactly? In the very unlikely event of advances and such, you'd decline, offer them prayers and speak to your prior or abbot about it. If you were a junior member then the novice master or such would probably be a good person too.  If it's the abbot then you tell the prior or the members of the abbot's council. It's all about proportionality. There are mechanisms, including outside ones. You're an adult in such circumstances, so you handle it in that way. There's no reason to keep silent if something bad happens to you in any place!

In terms of SD - you can usually pick your own director, be they inside the community or not. In terms of confessor - there is usually a rule in places (usually in the constitutions) that you're entitled to a confessor from outside the community. Some stipulate that the abbot and such can't force you to see them for confession etc.

I wouldn't worry. The things that will be difficult and frustrate you about community won't in all likelihood be this issue.

Calmodlese Monks at the Holy Family Hermitage. They are strict in terms of life and enclosure but they don't have grilles and such. They also have very simple liturgy without music. If you're in the UK I would suggest Caldey, Pluscarden, St Hugh's, Parminster or Mount St Barnard. Quarr too, maybe - but it's small and because of that, there's less enclosure than in the past. I'd advise you to stay away from St Michaels, Farnborough. It's very traditional but even the most ardent monks tend to leave there because of the community dynamics. It's very small now too because of that (two or three).

On 09/03/2015 at 8:54 PM, orapronobis said:

So, this is only my second-ever post on Phatmass but I've finally built up the courage to ask a question...

I feel a very strong call to a strictly cloistered monastic life (as in grilles and turnstiles ;) ) but the only community I can seem to find are the Carmelites in Wyoming, and I don't feel a strong pull towards them at all (although I'm convinced that they live a very holy life.) I was just wondering if there were any other male communities out there that live in strict enclosure?

Calmodlese Monks at the Holy Family Hermitage. They are strict in terms of life and enclosure but they don't have grilles and such. They also have very simple liturgy without music. If you're in the UK I would suggest Caldey, Pluscarden, St Hugh's, Parminster or Mount St Barnard. Quarr too, maybe - but it's small and because of that, there's less enclosure than in the past. I'd advise you to stay away from St Michaels, Farnborough. It's very traditional but even the most ardent monks tend to leave there because of the community dynamics. It's very small now too because of that (two or three).