An Old School Catholic Message Board

Holy water question

He is Risen!

He is Risen!

I've recently started attending one of my city's Latin mass parishes, it's very beautiful, by the book, reverent, etc.  I was looking around the church for a tank of holy water so I could take some home with me after mass but couldn't find it anywhere.  In the bulletin it said that on the first Sunday of each month we could bring objects to be blessed (rosaries, etc.) I noticed that several people brought in cases of sealed up bottled water to be blessed, I'm assuming to use as holy water around the house.  I understood that holy water had a different blessing and had to include blessed salt.  In this situation there was just a table full of stuff, the priest read something out of a book (I was in a pew far away) and sprinkled holy water over all the objects and bottles of water.  Is this valid holy water or is it something else, is there such a thing as blessed water vs holy water?

• 1 month later...
Basilisa Marie

The blessing of holy water doesn't have to include blessed salt. I'm sure it could, but that's actually not the usual way holy water is "made." What you saw is a more common way.