An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Dark Angel?!?

Oremoose

On my return from roaming throughout the internet, going back and forth on it. I have come across this little nugget....

4816657_700b.jpg

My question... How would I respond to this? I have not had this question addressed to me but if I did...HOW?

AccountDeleted

I would laugh first and then say 'seriously?'

I am sure someone will give you all kinds of theological arguments to use. I can only say that if the Creator of the universe hadn't allowed the devil to exist, he wouldn't. So who is in charge? The devil has a role, but only God fully understands what it is. Personally, I believe that God wanted us to have free will to choose between right and wrong, good and evil, darkness and light. Without the devil, there would be no temptation to sin. He tempted Eve in the garden and has been tempting humans ever since.

The thing is this - Jesus overcame Satan. So now the Prince of Lies can only hide in the shadows (hence a Dark Knight) and whisper lies about God, who is the essence and the presence of all goodness in the world.

Yes, I would laugh, but if pressed, I would explain that without God, there is no devil. There are no humans. There is no creation. There is no love. So whose side do you want to be on?

Personally, I think us the ability to think critically, but the devil does his best to keep us from actually doing so. Have you seen the news lately? 

God created the angel who later became the Devil. Just as God creates an innocent perfect child, and we can turn that child to the dark side by teaching it to hate. As an adult, that child can freely choose evil. 

Basilisa Marie

I'd start with debunking the idea that humans living in union with God means they're "thought-slaves." Living in perfect union with God means that we are our most authentic selves. We're totally free to make choices unencumbered by attachments that pull us in one direction over another. That's the second fallacy - that Satan introduced "critical thinking" into the world. It's not critical thinking, it's temptation to sin and vice. The example I usually use is how people who are really jealous or angry or greedy all the time really aren't free to choose to be selfless, loving, or generous. If I'm a really greedy person it's going to be MUCH harder for me to be generous than it would be for a generous person. A selfless, loving, or generous person doesn't suffer the same feeling of being "bound" to a course of action. They're totally free to do the same things that jealous, angry, or greedy people would do (though they usually won't). The kind of freedom found in God is a freedom to be virtuous, and the freedom found in Satan pretends to be a freedom of choice but it's really no true freedom at all (not even freedom of choice, because the choice to be virtuous is a difficult, almost illusory choice for someone steeped in vice).  

Basically the whole thing is a total inversion of Christianity.