An Old School Catholic Message Board

OSBs, OSBs everywhere

puellapaschalis

puellapaschalis

Hello everyone :)

Your prayers, please, for someone I know who has recently started his postulancy. OSB, naturellement ;)

I just received the Winter 2015 edition of the Canticle of St. Gertrude from the Monastery of St. Gertrude in Cottonwood, Idaho, 83522, a wonderful group of women, with vocations, albeit mature ones.  A great possibility for so called 'late vocations'.

Benedictine life seems to be going through a revival! :)

​Indeed. From what I've been able to glean from individual monasteries' web sites, the following monasteries have the following men in (all stages of) formation:

St. Martin's, Washington - 2

Mount Angel, Oregon - at least 3, I believe there are a good many more

Ascension, Idaho - 3 or 4

Assumption, North Dakota - 2

Pecos, New Mexico - 4 (including a Phatmasser)

Christ in the Desert, New Mexico - a number in formation, but I can't find a specific number

St. Gregory, Oklahoma - 1

Clear Creek, Oklahoma - 9 or more

Subiaco, Arkansas - 8

St. Benedict's, Kansas - 5 or more

Mount Michael, Nebraska - 1

St. Louis, Missouri - 4

St. Joseph, Louisiana - 2

St. Bernard, Alabama - 6 or more

Marmion, Illinois - 2

St. Meinrad, Indiana - 8 or more

St. Andrew, Ohio - 2

St. Vincent, Pennsylvania - 8 or more

St. Anselm, Washington DC - 3

St. Anselm, New Hampshire - 3

Mary, Mother of the Church, Virginia - 4 or more

Mary, Help of Christians, North Carolina - 5

Our Lady of Glastonbury, Massachusetts - 1

St. Leo, Florida - 1

Newark, New Jersey - 1

That's at least 88 men in formation. Formation includes a one or two year novitiate (depending on the house) plus three years of temporary vows.

I list 23 houses. I think there are about another 17 houses. They either have no one in formation, or at least I can't find any information about their guys.

But things are kind of looking up!

My Great Grandpa was a janitor at Marmion Abbeys Military School (now just a high school) but they closed the military school in 1971 because of money problems.The monks made a wooden cross for him which is now in my grandpa's living room.My grandpa is his son.

orapronobis

​Indeed. From what I've been able to glean from individual monasteries' web sites, the following monasteries have the following men in (all stages of) formation:

St. Martin's, Washington - 2

Mount Angel, Oregon - at least 3, I believe there are a good many more

Ascension, Idaho - 3 or 4

Assumption, North Dakota - 2

Pecos, New Mexico - 4 (including a Phatmasser)

Christ in the Desert, New Mexico - a number in formation, but I can't find a specific number

St. Gregory, Oklahoma - 1

Clear Creek, Oklahoma - 9 or more

Subiaco, Arkansas - 8

St. Benedict's, Kansas - 5 or more

Mount Michael, Nebraska - 1

St. Louis, Missouri - 4

St. Joseph, Louisiana - 2

St. Bernard, Alabama - 6 or more

Marmion, Illinois - 2

St. Meinrad, Indiana - 8 or more

St. Andrew, Ohio - 2

St. Vincent, Pennsylvania - 8 or more

St. Anselm, Washington DC - 3

St. Anselm, New Hampshire - 3

Mary, Mother of the Church, Virginia - 4 or more

Mary, Help of Christians, North Carolina - 5

Our Lady of Glastonbury, Massachusetts - 1

St. Leo, Florida - 1

Newark, New Jersey - 1

That's at least 88 men in formation. Formation includes a one or two year novitiate (depending on the house) plus three years of temporary vows.

I list 23 houses. I think there are about another 17 houses. They either have no one in formation, or at least I can't find any information about their guys.

But things are kind of looking up!

​Like all things, the religious life must inevitably go through cycles of decay and renewal, it is through this that we know that the Church really is the living Body of Christ!

• 2 weeks later...

Conception Abbey, Missouri, received a new postulant on Wednesday, March 25. 

And they have at least novice, too. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There's a small community (priory) of Benedictine monks in the heart of Chicago - Holy Cross. It's kind of unusual for Benedictines to be in the heart of a city, but not unheard of.

The monks of Holy Cross specialize in Gregorian chant, they have a casket business, and they have a B & B.

They've had a web site for a while, and they've posted some theological discussion on a regular basis, but they never posted a lot about themselves.

Well, they've revised their web site and added a lot of good information. They've been growing slowly but steadily, they include photos of each of the monks, they have a news link, now, and lots of other good stuff.

http://chicagomonk.org/

While I'm on the topic...

Here's another Benedictine monastery in the heart of a city, this particular city being Newark. http://newarkabbey.org/main.htm They run a boys' school, and apparently it's academically quite rigorous and quite successful. Somebody made a documentary about them and how to teach inner city boys.

Another interesting feature of this particular monastery is that they have Eucharistic adoration every morning. I don't know if it's required communal prayer or if it's optional for the monks who want it, but either way I don't know of any other Benedictine monastery that has daily Eucharistic adoration.

truthfinder

Thanks for the reminder about Holy Cross. I like the one monk's role of "casket director".