An Old School Catholic Message Board

"Casket" tree pods

picchick

Hey everyone!  How's everything going?

I was just curious on people's thoughts on those pods that you can be buried in that will grow a tree.  I think that it is pretty cool.  I was wondering how it fits with Church teaching IF it was done respectfully and on consecrated ground.

Meg

truthfinder

I think it would probably be fine in accord to church teachings (no immediate alarm bells are ringing) as long it was done in a way that didn't seem like earth-worship or the like.  I would caution, however, that there is a good possibility that the tree roots would start pushing bones to the surface over time.  

It sounds fine to me. I'm going to be cremated, and would love to be turned into one of those artificial reef balls, but that's not allowed. 

I think it's about time to leave this conversation.

​You're just too scared to get to the root of the matter.

Not A Mallard

I think it would probably be fine in accord to church teachings (no immediate alarm bells are ringing) as long it was done in a way that didn't seem like earth-worship or the like.  I would caution, however, that there is a good possibility that the tree roots would start pushing bones to the surface over time.  

​Either that, or our bodies will turn the trees into

TreebeardatIsengard.png

TheresaThoma

I think it would be ok. Just as long as it is done respectfully with the right intentions (similar to the guidelines on cremation). Perhaps with a small plaque or other grave marker near the pod.

The Trappists in Iowa make caskets, as do the Benedictines in Louisiana, Chicago, Nebraska, and Indiana - there might be others, too. Get some input from them, and let them turn it into an earth-friendly fund-raiser for their monasteries.

Iowa Trappists - http://www.trappistcaskets.com/product-category/caskets/

Louisiana Benedictines - http://saintjosephabbey.com/woodworks-caskets.php

Chicago Benedictines - http://chicagomonk.org/monastery-caskets/

Ash Wednesday

biodegradable-burial-pod-memory-forest-c

This image from their website ticks me off.

Because honoring the dead with crosses are just standard, you know. And consecrated ground isn't sacred, but ~forests are~

Ash Wednesday

I suppose if you're a Catholic wanting a respectful burial it could POSSIBLY be done in principle -- something biodegradable that also has a tree -- and many monks and the like that build caskets have been joining the green burial movement. But the sentiment surrounding the promotion of this in particular really bothers me.

There is also the issue, as a Catholic wanting a Catholic funeral but not wanting cremation in order to be buried in such a pod, some provision would need to be made for the body during the funeral mass. Given that the deceased isn't opting for cremation, they normally put a white cloth and crucifix over the deceased's casket because they were baptized. You can't really do that with a pod so you would still probably want to use a simple casket for the funeral.

When my mom died we had a full funeral with a simple casket but she was cremated afterwards.

Maybe some monks can come up with a casket shaped alternative to the pod.

I'm a closet death hag, I'm afraid. I would have fit in well during the Victorian age.