An Old School Catholic Message Board

God Is LOVE

Credo in Deum

IMO, it relates to 'God is Love' in a number of ways.  First, it talks about the false belief that God's Love is one which prefers human respect over the profession of objective truth. Second, that the profession of our Catholic Faith should not be suppressed, especially its most basic and core teachings since professing our Faith is an act of Love. Three, that it is God's Love which demands us to profess the truths of our Faith. Four, that saying 'God is Love' is in reality not a saying one should toss around as if to mean that God doesn't care how you worship, who you worship, or where you worship, but that by saying 'God is Love' you acknowledge that Love is demanding, meaning it comes with obligations, one of which being a witness of the Supremacy of the Catholic Faith above all other religions since it's Founder is Jesus Christ who is Truth and Love itself. 

Edited by Credo in Deum

AccountDeleted

Well if you dislike Michael Voris then that could be the reason.  

​This is the first time I've ever seen him, so I don't know if I like him or not. I just didn't get the connection. But it's no big deal - it's just that I don't see it. No problem.

Credo in Deum

​This is the first time I've ever seen him, so I don't know if I like him or not. I just didn't get the connection. But it's no big deal - it's just that I don't see it. No problem.

Sorry, by 'dislike him' I was referring to his style and the way in which he delivers his messages.  Just wanted to clarify that.  

AccountDeleted

Sorry, by 'dislike him' I was referring to his style and the way in which he delivers his messages.  Just wanted to clarify that.  

​Oh, that's ok. Trying to communicate online isn't easy. Maybe that's my problem with this video and the title connection. It could be that I'm just a little too pedantic in that I like content to match the description of the title. When I read 'love of God' I guess I just expect the person to actually talk about the love of God. But you see the unspoken connection that you think he meant. So that's just the way it is.

54517249.jpg

but

559670_138510739632010_139012504_n.jpg

so what is the point of posting this video? I'm not sure what purpose Michael Voris videos serve. It can't be evangelization right because I can't really imagine anyone being converted by his ministry. If his m.o. is to preach to the choir and further entrench people, who likely already agree and relate with Voris's arguments and personality, then fine but . . . I don't know why post this stuff here?

I probably agree with 99% of the stuff he says but how he says it is pretty awful. If there's anyone out there for whom this style resonates in a positive way (besides FP) raise your hand please.

veritasluxmea

so what is the point of posting this video?

Why does there have to be a point here? It's open mike. There are a lot of threads I don't see the point of and skip over. 

I can't really imagine anyone being converted by his ministry.

I agree with you that I don't like his style in the few videos I've seen. But ​really? That seems uncalled for. 

Voris specializes, like ex-Fr Corapi, in preaching to a choir that gets turned up by being told in a very stern manner that they are correct. 

And yes, Voris is the sort of "evangelist" who would have done very poorly in the early church and who does poorly in the present, post-Christendom milieu. In these circumstances you can not simply rant at the the pagans "you must do x y and z to be a Catholic" you have to start by showing them why they should bother to be Catholic in the first place.

I am sure the video was titled "God is love" to make it clickable but the fact is he uses the word love 2 times. It's not a video about love but rather about doctrinal purity. The two are related of course but let's not pretend the human experience of them is the same. 

Credo in Deum

And yes, Voris is the sort of "evangelist" who would have done very poorly in the early church and who does poorly in the present, post-Christendom milieu. In these circumstances you can not simply rant at the the pagans "you must do x y and z to be a Catholic" you have to start by showing them why they should bother to be Catholic in the first place.

Michael Voris' target audience though isn't pagans, athiests, Muslims, etc. etc it's towards lukewarm Catholics who aren't living thier faith or who are ashamed of their faith.  While he wouldn't shy away from telling non-Catholics about the faith, he is really more of a person who is showing fellow Catholics how messed up things are in the Church (parishes, catholic charities, news agencies, the episcopate, etc).  

Nihil Obstat

Michael Voris' target audience though isn't pagans, athiests, Muslims, etc. etc it's towards lukewarm Catholics who aren't living thier faith or who are ashamed of their faith.  While he wouldn't shy away from telling non-Catholics about the faith, he is really more of a person who is showing fellow Catholics how messed up things are in the Church (parishes, catholic charities, news agencies, the episcopate, etc).  

​I think this is fair. We live in a time when many, perhaps most Catholics do not know their faith. They need evangelization just as much as any pagan or Muslim or atheist. Yeah, it hurts a lot of feelings to say it, but just trying to be good is not good enough.

Mt:7

[21] Not every one that saith to me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven: but he that doth the will of my Father who is in heaven, he shall enter into the kingdom of heaven. [22]Many will say to me in that day: Lord, Lord, have not we prophesied in thy name, and cast out devils in thy name, and done many miracles in thy name? [23] And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, you that work iniquity. [24] Every one therefore that heareth these my words, and doth them, shall be likened to a wise man that built his house upon a rock,[25] And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and they beat upon that house, and it fell not, for it was founded on a rock.