An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Passionist Novice

Feankie

Sister Lucia Marie looks so very happy at her Vestition  Ceremony.  It's lovely to see this Community expanding like this.

orapronobis

It's sad that they are definitely the exception to the rule in terms of the passionists. All the other communities seem to be aging and shutting down :(  (correct me if I'm wrong)

IgnatiusofLoyola

Do you think that this community might start sending out sisters to "bulk up" the other passionist convents?

​I have no idea how Passionist Communities work in regard to possibly transferring Sisters (as opposed to starting a new foundation if the Community were to outgrow the Kentucky monastery and/or received a call from another diocese to start a new Passionist Community there). I might be wrong, but I've gotten the feeling that the MO Passionist Community might be more conservative than the KY Community.

The Institute on Religious Life (IRL) describes each of the Passionist Monasteries as "autonomous and independent."  Not quite sure what that entailed...I found an excerpt from a well-reviewed book titled A New Commentary on the Code of Canon Law by John Beal:

Canon 615 -- An autonomous monastery does not have another major superior besides its own moderator and is not associated to another institute of religious in such a way that the superior of the latter possesses true power over such a monastery as determined by the constitutions [and] is entrusted to the special vigilance of the diocesan bishop according to the norm of law.

This section of the book deals with issues like formation, enclosure and transfers--and is very interesting to read.  Perhaps Sr. Catherine will offer her opinion on whether or not an autonomous monastery would send nuns to another convent in need or accept nuns from a monastery that was closing.

orapronobis

Are carmelites autonomous? I'm just asking because I know that they tend to start again from scratch when they move sisters to different convents, (like the Elysburg/Danville sisters.)

Are carmelites autonomous? I'm just asking because I know that they tend to start again from scratch when they move sisters to different convents, (like the Elysburg/Danville sisters.)

​I think so 

I like ther blog and espicially the penance page and the ligurty page.I was suprised sister could keep all of that hair under her veil!!!:o