An Old School Catholic Message Board

8 Major Studies Prove Homosexuality Is Not Genetic

PhuturePriest

franciscanheart

“Because they have identical DNA, it ought to be 100%"

As someone who is actually an identical twin, let me assure you FP, that you need some education in science (and so does the above "dr"). 

It may surprise you to learn that many things we KNOW are genetic - from IQ to predisposition to mental illness to age of first menstruation - are not always mirrored in identical twins. 

In fact there are virtually no well designed twins studies that show a matching rate of 100% besides things like eye color.

The fact that one set of twins doesnt fit the pattern, doesn't disprove an inherited link at all. 

It means there is perhaps something working with the genes, turning them on and off.

For instance my sister had severe ulcerative colitis requiring an operation. Twin studies reveal a genetic connection, but for whatever reason, I've never fallen ill. 

On the other hand, my premature ovarian failure was first diagnosed (a relatively rare and mysterious disease we know little about). Testing revealed my sister had it too- yet our genetics have been karyotyped and are normal. Nevertheless there must be a gene connection because the incidence is noted as much higher in ID twins. 

​Epigenetics, anyone? (Although, to be fair, all the twins I know who are gay, have a gay twin...)

Everyone is so smart in here I want to cry!

Where is the link to these studies? 

And please for the love of the baby lord Jesus, Zeus, Thor, or any god you subscribe to, do not depend on websites like OrthodoxyToday.org for your scientific weekly updates. There is clearly no agenda there....

Please to go PubMed or other reputable scientific databases for info. Or google scholar or anything besides that site.

FP must be really bored if he wants to open this can of worms again. But despite what this doctor dude's opinion is, basically everything is in our genome....and if it is not, then it is in our epigenome (As FH referenced). And for anyone who is still confused, stop using the "gay gene". That is a mislead, aged, pop culture reference to something that isnt real. Genetics rarely works in a binary, classical way to where we can just identify ONE thing that causes a certain characteristic. Often times it is QUITE complex, QUITE!

This subject is so convoluted with political and religious agendas that its so hard to sift through. I am curious as to why homosexuality being genetic (which it is) is so threatening to your faith? You can still exclude gays from your parties and refuse them cake whether it is genetic or not so I dont know how this puts a dent in your parade. 

I am curious as to why homosexuality being genetic (which it is) is so threatening to your faith?

​A lot of people think that, if a "gay gene" is discovered, secular atheists will use the gene to "prove" that homosexuality is part of "God's design".

Hence the concern.

​A lot of people think that, if a "gay gene" is discovered, secular atheists will use the gene to "prove" that homosexuality is part of "God's design".

Hence the concern.

​I still dont see how that is a legit threat since Catholics already made a new definition of Natural to get around it anyway. 

Credo in Deum

​Catholics already made a new definition of Natural to get around it anyway. 

When did this happen?  Do you have a date for your claim? Any sources to back up your statement?

Edited by Credo in Deum

PhuturePriest

If there's no gay genes, are there gay jeans?

​Salmon jeans. Definitely salmon jeans.

Credo in Deum

​You clearly don't know very many gay people.

I blame my two brothers.  Both are gay but one is very hipster while the other loves the 80s.  I'll tell them they're not doing it right.  

franciscanheart

I blame my two brothers.  Both are gay but one is very hipster while the other loves the 80s.  I'll tell them they're not doing it right.  

​Next time just "tsk tsk" them before saying, "Bad gay. Bad, bad gay."

Credo in Deum

​Next time just "tsk tsk" them before saying, "Bad gay. Bad, bad gay."

I've 'tsk tsk' them before and it worked wonders.  I would do it again, however, I don't want to overplay my hand or else they're going to know I'm getting help. 

Hence the concern.

​Also another quick question. Can this line of thinking be applied to other areas of your faith? For instance, are Catholics only welcoming to scientific discovery if it confirms their already firm beliefs? I get the whole truth doesnt contradict truth tote (Which I think is a cheap cop out).So if evidence surfaced that DID contradicted it (such in this case) you would rather remain disillusioned for the sake of your bias? or would you truly believe that being gay is a choice regardless of what the experts say on the topic? 

If people still believed the earth was 6000 years old based on the bible, are they correct? Or are the overwhelming studies that contradict that right? 

Although it really isnt a Catholic belief that anything is or isnt genetic; No where in the CCC does it say "You must believe homosexuality is cause by choice and magical unicorns". so I definitely agree Gabriela that its not the facts that scare people, its the implication of what those facts might mean; it is fear.The fear that when certain minorities gain understanding and equality, that their own value would be question or discriminated in the same fashion that they do to others.

Its really depressing for a lover of science and discovery to see people so immobilized by fear of the unknown that they would go out of their way to blatantly insert false notions in the place of observed, tested, and reviewed science.

Im not saying that of YOU specifically, just in general.