An Old School Catholic Message Board

What's the minimum age to be a nun?

Discerning13

Discerning13

I'm 13 and I've been discerning for around a year now, and I think God is calling me to be a nun. I want to go to a convent as soon as possible as being in God's presence and doing his will gives me so much joy, I'm sure this is the right path for me. So what age will I have to be? Thankyou all and God bless x:nun1:

It depends on the community! However most communities, if you are young, will strongly prefer you to spend a year working or going to college for a year  after high school :) so about 19 for a general rule 

There probably is a minimum age written into canon law, but I don't know what that age would be.

From a practical standpoint, most convents want novices to be high school graduates; many want them to complete college, too, or complete high school and work for a couple of years.

But I think the specifics would depend on the particular order/monastery you intend to enter.

Sponsa-Christi

Individual communities can set their own age limits (on both ends of the spectrum), but the absolute minimum age for becoming a novice is 17. (See the Code of Canon Law, canon 643) Some communities allow younger women to live with the community as aspirants or postulants. 

I first felt called to be a bride of Christ when I was twelve, so I completely understand where you're coming from! But I would encourage you not to simply join the first convent that will take you. Do take your time getting to know yourself (you do a lot of personal growing-up in your teen years), which will help you learn how God is calling YOU specifically. Also do take the time to learn about all the different religious communities and forms of consecrated life in the Church today before you make a major life decision. 

orapronobis

I'm 13 and I've been discerning for around a year now, and I think God is calling me to be a nun. I want to go to a convent as soon as possible as being in God's presence and doing his will gives me so much joy, I'm sure this is the right path for me. So what age will I have to be? Thankyou all and God bless x:nun1:

I've been discerning since I was 12 (I'm 16 now). These first few years of discernment are the most joy filled years of all. I'll pray for you x

veritasluxmea

The minimum age is almost always 18, and most orders require a high school diploma before entering. If you graduate high school at age 17, you could possibly enter right after that. Sorry, you're going to have to finish high school before you can start discerning more seriously! Some orders have retreats and come and see visits for girls 16 and older that you could go on when you're at that age. 

Apostolic sister or nun?, In most of the convents, the entrance is from 18, some accepted from the 17.

In religious congregations, the minimum age is usually 18 years, when finished high school, then begins the candidacy-postulancy, period after which began the novitiate. The differences are small between the different congregations, some can cost two years be a novice, in others a year.

Some congregations have the aspirancy for people under this age, sometimes living boarding in a school or house with the sisters. But I don't recommend it, it is better to follow your discernment while you live with your family, you discover if you have a true vocation, the vocation only gives God, it is not an election our.

Sponsa-Christi

I've been discerning since I was 12 (I'm 16 now). These first few years of discernment are the most joy filled years of all. I'll pray for you x

​Well said. Not that there won't be joy later on, but right now is sort of the "springtime" of your spiritual life. Enjoy the first blossoming! :)

A lot of people have said the minimum age is usually at least 18 and that's true of many communities, however I agree with the person who recommended checking Canon Law because when I went on a mission trip with the Missionaries of the Poor (Jamaica) one of the brothers told me he entered when he was 16.  I believe St. Therese was 15 when she entered which even back then was considered very young.

AccountDeleted

​It isn't so much about your age (although each community has its own minimum and maximum age and exceptions) as it is about your maturity and preparedness to enter religious life.

You might get some valuable information here at Vision Vocation Network http://www.vocationnetwork.org/main - there are FAQs and articles about RL.

You are at the beginning of your discernment - be eager, but don't be in a hurry. :) 

Edit: I just read some of your other posts and a couple of red flags popped up for me. I am so happy for you that you want to be a nun but it seems that first you must become a Catholic, and also, since you are so young, it might be a good idea to make sure you have your parent's permission to post on here, as you say they are atheists and don't know your desire to become a nun.

One other suggestion - don't reveal too much about yourself online because of your age. There are many people who might take advantage of your youth and inexperience - even though they come across as being very genuine. Maybe even ask our forum boss to change your online name to get rid of the age? Your age will change every year you post here anyway so you won't always be 13!

Take this whole thing one step at a time - get permission from your parents to post here, get permission from them to become Catholic and work towards that goal first. Prayers for you during this exciting time - but be careful please.

I once ran across a monastery that allowed high school girls to complete their high school education in the monastery. I thought it was in Michigan, but I just checked Deo Est Gloria and didn't find it there.

Anyone know which house I'm talking about? I can't remember for the life of me. The habits were black.

I once ran across a monastery that allowed high school girls to complete their high school education in the monastery. I thought it was in Michigan, but I just checked Deo Est Gloria and didn't find it there.

Anyone know which house I'm talking about? I can't remember for the life of me. The habits were black.

​I have heard of it but can't think what it is right now

AccountDeleted

​That's great, but the OP is not a Catholic and her parents are atheists (according to her). don't you think that the important thing here is that she make sure her parents are on board with her becoming a Catholic before we start suggesting places she could enter or go to high school??? Folks, it's early days for her yet. Go slow please.

​That's great, but the OP is not a Catholic and her parents are atheists (according to her). don't you think that the important thing here is that she make sure her parents are on board with her becoming a Catholic before we start suggesting places she could enter or go to high school??? Folks, it's early days for her yet. Go slow please.

No worries. I think G is just talking out loud trying to remember which order it is. The OP is in the UK so her going to a high school in Michigan without her parents permission is highly unlikely :)