An Old School Catholic Message Board

How old is too old?

Kateri89

veritasluxmea

I'm not in the business of suggesting people wear cosplay to church or Hawaiian outfits to high profile board meetings. I don't believe any th ing I said conflicts with this.

and matching clothes to your skintone? What the floop? I'd that a thing?

I have more I want to say but I won't turn this into a patriarchal, modesty, body police thread.

Technically you said it doesn't matter as long as it's empowering, and if someone feels empowered wearing something inappropriate to a business meeting, well...  

I'd say more power to them, but ​I'd want to make sure they'd understand how that would affect them/people around them, so they can really make an informed decision to it. After that it's none of my business. 

IgnatiusofLoyola

How can people have blue skin?

Are they smurfs or avatars?

​My skin isn't blue--it's flesh-toned like everyone else's. But, if you were to compare my inner arms with those of other people, you'd see that my skin had a more bluish tone while other people have a warmer, more golden tone to their skin. I'm not making this stuff up--look at the make-up collections at the drugstore. They commonly offfer make-up for women with "cool" toned-skin versus "warm" tone skin versus skin that's in-between. Two people, like my mother and myself, can both have equally fair skin, but the difference in our skin tones is obvious. However, it doesn't matter how dark or light your skin is, there are differences in skin tone.

And, people with different skin tones look good in different colors. I look rotten in orange, gold, almost every shade of green, etc etc. Since I'm a very fair, blue-eyed blonde, I look good in most pastel colors, Actually, most people can wear any color, but different shades of each color can look great or awful on different people. :idontknow:

The Historian

oh my goodness (don't blasphemy) tinytherese, you can't just ask someone why they're blue..

IgnatiusofLoyola

oh my goodness (don't blasphemy) tinytherese, you can't just ask someone why they're blue..

​Not to worry. I'm not blue (except for my eyes). :)

veritasluxmea

​There were some books written about it, it was like a huge thing. Didn't Ophra do something about it too? 

warm-autumn.jpg

bcc8ab21a3d3b2a125e4e47665cf35e2.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcROayCpl_aLcxj9AiU2Lp_

​Not to worry. I'm not blue (except for my eyes). :)

​Mean girls! I love you! 

tinytherese

I've asked weirder questions than that before. At the age of 4 or 5, I saw my dad doing his laundry naked. I asked my mom why he had a tail.

Ok let me rephrase my original post because I think I was unclear.  Even though I'm 25 most people think I still look really young.  I believe my face looks young because people see me in my scrubs and know that I must be old enough to work as a nurse but tell me I look like I'm 16.  If I already look young, I don't want to dress like a teenager too.  Having said that, I want to dress more maturely but I don't usually find clothes in women's sections that look age-appropriate for mid twenties.  I think a better question for me to ask would be if anybody has any suggestions for stores that sell the clothing styles I'm looking for?

Archaeology cat

OK, I think I know what you mean then. There are stores that have nice-looking clothes that don't look too old or young. Modcloth, Shabby Apple, and stitchfix are online and have good things. They are a bit pricier, though. I like some things from White House Black Market; a lot of their things are work clothes, but not everything. 

BarbTherese

Most all the time, I wear a short black square poncho over black slacks - underneath poncho whatever long shirt (or tunic) is handy(always plain colour) - always bought in second hand stores - jumpers for winter the same.  Very light poncho during summer and heavier during winter.  Since poncho's are really just a square of material with a hole for the head, they are very easy to make or even have made.  My focus has been cheap and easy yet neat and simple.

Oh..........I will be 70 early 2015 :)

IgnatiusofLoyola

I buy a lot of my clothes from Lands' End and LL Bean. One tip: Lands' End has lots of sales, so sign up for their emails and you can almost always get some sort of discount. LL Bean has fewer sales, and they not as good, but they do exist. Both sites have sales sections.

Both Lands' End and LL Bean sell very basic, simple styles that include clothes appropriate for both younger women and older women, with lots of color choices and sizes. Often, with items like T-shirts, they will have different "fits" appropriate for younger and older ages, and different figures.

I haven't shopped in retail stores for awhile, so I am no help there.