An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carmelite Monks of WY

John Paul

The Historian

Thier women branch is the carmel of Jesus,Mary,and Joseph in Nebraska.The seminarians stay in the cloister for classes and training for the priesthood.They are the First Order dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary.They have 15 members currently.The 6th decade of their rosary is the Immaculate Conception.

I learned all of this from Br.Simon Mary.

​They should have 18 mysteries, I believe.  The First Joyful Mystery is the Immaculate Conception, the Sixth Sorrowful Mystery is the Descent of Christ from the Cross, and the Sixth Glorious Mystery is the Patronage of Mary, Queen of Mount Carmel.

PhuturePriest

I am younger than 12.

​It's very good that you're open to God's call at such a young age. Just remember to take the advice I really needed when I was in much the same boat and don't forget to live the life you have right now. You're not in a monastery nor at the age to seriously consider it, so don't live in one in your mind. God wants you to live the life you have right now as fully as possible, and you can't do that if you're constantly thinking about the future. I say that merely because I was like that, and that advice is some of the best discernment advice I've gotten, even now. I recommend praying, reading scripture, and attending Mass as often as possible. At this stage, however, I would recommend not contacting communities. Contacting a community when you are so young is like contacting a college. It simply doesn't make practical sense given the age you are, and I say that having been a person who began calling communities and vocation directors at the age of 14. It did some good, but to be honest it caused more harm than anything else, as it made my desire to be a priest or religious unreasonably high. My mind was constantly in the far-off future, and I became very impatient at the fact that I couldn't enter for at least another four years as a result. One priest I spoke to put it best: "Your vocation right now is to be a student, and your community is your family, so put as much emphasis on that as possible. It's not bad to think about the future, but don't live in it, and don't forgo the vocation God has already given you at this time."

orapronobis

I agree completely with PhuturePriest. God will call you to religious life in his own good time. Continue to pray and quietly discern but don't become so wrapped up in discernment that you cut yourself off from the world.  It's the experiences you will have before entering that make you suitable for religious life. So go and experience the world around you :)