An Old School Catholic Message Board

Eucharist and the infirm

Anastasia13

Anastasia13

So if a priest can deliver the eucharist to the infirm, can the infirm stop by the church for it without sitting through a full mass?

truthfinder

Theoretically, yes.  The faithful are permitted to receive Communion outside of Mass, within reasonable grounds.  However, I would like to see a circumstance where an infirm person could not meet their Sunday obligation yet could still make it to the church. A person doesn't need to receive Communion anymore than their Easter duty.  If they can't make Sunday Mass because they truly cannot, there is no obligation.  Is there more details you're envisioning that I'm not? The only circumstance that I can think of is that a person is elderly or otherwise infirm and cannot get transportation to Mass on Sundays because of some legitimate reason, and yet are able to at some other time of the week.  In that circumstance, this would have to be discussed in more detail with the pastor to make sure that everything is being done for that parishioner.  

Anastasia13

Easter duty?

"Is there more details you're envisioning that I'm not? " What about if the doctor's instructions are rest and their pharmacy is very near another church?

truthfinder

Easter duty is the obligation for Catholics to receive Communion, once, during Easter season, now broadly defined as between the beginning of Lent and Pentecost.  Again, with that clarification, technically -yes.  Although if this is going to be a long-lasting condition, I would definitely defer to the parish priest.