An Old School Catholic Message Board

questions about discerning a vocation to Consecrated Virginity

LoveZoe11

Hi everyone!

My name is Zoe. I have been seriously discerning a vocation to religious life for about a year now. Although I am also discerning a call to religious life in community I have recently felt a pull towards discerning a call to being a CV in the world, and no, not as a "fall back" vocation. I have watched videos and looked at other resources about the vocation and am praying on whether this form of life is what the Lord wants for me.

I know there are some CVs on this forum and I would like to ask a couple of questions:

1) In general, are there any tips you have about discerning a CV vocation that might be different from discerning religious life?

2) What if I am from a diocese that does not have a preparation process in place for those considering Consecrated Virginity?

3) On a personal level, what has been the greatest thing about receiving the gift of consecration?

Thanks to anyone who answers!

Sponsa-Christi

Hi Zoe! Some very quick responses from a CV here:

1. When discerning consecrated virginity, one big difference from discerning religious life is that (at this point in time, at least) you need to be prepared to "do your own work" in learning more about life as a CV. That is, you need to prepared to do a lot of your own first-hand reading and research in terms of prayerfully discerning how you believe the Church calls CVs to live. (E.g., reading and studying the Rite of Consecration to a Life of Virginity yourself rather than relying just on commentaries.)

2. If your diocese doesn't have a formation program for CVs, but is still willing to work with you, that's not the end of the world! It's not an ideal situation, but it's not too hard for a diocese to find a solution. For instance, perhaps the diocese could assign you a mentor to give you one-to-one guidance. A bigger problem would be if your diocese wasn't open to having CVs in the first place--in which case, you might consider moving to a different diocese if you truly felt called to this.

3. This sounds sort of obvious, but for me the best part of being consecrated is being married to Jesus. But it's hard to explain in much more detail than that!

God's Beloved

Hi everyone!

My name is Zoe. I have been seriously discerning a vocation to religious life for about a year now. Although I am also discerning a call to religious life in community I have recently felt a pull towards discerning a call to being a CV in the world, and no, not as a "fall back" vocation. I have watched videos and looked at other resources about the vocation and am praying on whether this form of life is what the Lord wants for me.

I know there are some CVs on this forum and I would like to ask a couple of questions:

1) In general, are there any tips you have about discerning a CV vocation that might be different from discerning religious life?

2) What if I am from a diocese that does not have a preparation process in place for those considering Consecrated Virginity?

3) On a personal level, what has been the greatest thing about receiving the gift of consecration?

Dear Zoe,

If you are seriously discerning about CV,

Since dedication to the service of the Church is something a candidate can begin before her consecration,  it would help to have a discussion with the Bishop about what kind of service you will be involved in - if your application is accepted.  Then it would be helpful to draw a plan of action.  Either at parish or diocesan level  it would be good to get involved in a ministry that you wish to pursue in a stable manner.   Let the clergy know about your discerning the vocation of CV and be ready to research and answer the questions from fellow Christians.  This will help them understand the vocation.  See how you feel and how the community responds to your service.

Be proactive in going through formation in basics which any publicly consecrated woman would normally be trained. e.g. teaching catechism, extra-ordinary minister of the Eucharist, praying the liturgy of the hours, visiting families etc. and any area of specific interest or talent.

If being a CV is God's will for you, you will consistently experience consolation over a period of years in this discernment inspite of difficulties and an  increasing love for Jesus and the parish or diocese.   Please do not hurry even if you intellectually understand the vocation.  It is important to live it and face the trauma of people's questions,  hardly encouraging as I can say from personal experience and I'm sure many CV would agree.  If you feel you are strong enough to face the misunderstandings but you have built a strong support in the community at parish or diocesan level, then you may be called to this vocation and will be happy in it.  Be open to feedback.  Ask for it proactively and try to improve yourself.

Formation is something you have to take personal responsibility.  Talk to Jesus about  everything you do.  He is the only companion of a CV in daily decision making as there is no Superior like in most convents, to decide for you.  Having personal accompaniment throughout the process by an experienced mentor or guide is important.

On a personal level,  it is the gift of spiritual motherhood that I cherish most.

I know the diocese of Lafayette, Louisiana has at least one CV so they might be a good starting point in your research.  They might be able to tell you more about the process. 

I know the diocese of Lafayette, Louisiana has at least one CV so they might be a good starting point in your research.  They might be able to tell you more about the process. 

​That would be helpful. I live in the diocese of Springfield MA and I am not sure there are any CVs in the diocese.

have you seen www.consecratedvirgin.org ? that is the USA organisation. they have plenty of free resources, as well as a very informative conference each august for discerners which covers pretty much everything

I also have a question about the vocation, if I may

Why are CV not anointed with oil? they receive a 'special anoiting' as per of the rite, but not with the oil. Why?

God's Beloved

Why are CV not anointed with oil? they receive a 'special anoiting' as per of the rite, but not with the oil. Why?

​According to the Roman Pontifical, the consecration of virgins is in fact a 'new spiritual anointing'.  If you read commentaries on the Second Vatican Council, (the section that mentions about revision of the Rite of Consecration to a life of virginity) they mention the Church's response to this question.  In the liturgy 'oils' are often signs expressing a consecration that has already taken place by virtue of other liturgical acts.  The consecration of virgins has always been looked upon even canonically as a genuine 'consecration'.  there is rare mention in some unverified sources about oils also being used in history and in contemporary times some theologians suggest the possibility of oils.  But this would not 'add' anything to the consecration.

​That would be helpful. I live in the diocese of Springfield MA and I am not sure there are any CVs in the diocese.

​I don't know if there are any in Springfield but there are in the Archdiocese of Boston.  Which might be handier than Louisiana!  :)

Sponsa-Christi

​I don't know if there are any in Springfield but there are in the Archdiocese of Boston.  Which might be handier than Louisiana!  :)

​I think there are also some in Fall River, MA, but I'm not really sure. Maybe if you called the vocation office in your diocese, they might be able to put you in touch with some local CVs? Sometimes, you never know until you ask.

God's Beloved

If someone is feeling specifically attracted to the vocation of consecrated virginity, I think they could try to understand it more deeply.

1. Is it an attraction / call in the heart to be a consecrated virgin in the world with its own charism.

2. Is it an attraction to receive the consecration /  spiritual anointing  as a bride of Christ ?

If the attraction is towards the second option, there  could be a call to monastic life.  I wonder how to advise / refer women who need to clarify this for themselves.  Does anyone know monasteries, both cloistered ( with traditional enclosure, habits etc.) and non-cloistered ( without traditonal enclosure or habits and even having some active apostolates) that also have the consecration of virgins ?

Their website information would be welcome.

If someone is feeling specifically attracted to the vocation of consecrated virginity, I think they could try to understand it more deeply.

1. Is it an attraction / call in the heart to be a consecrated virgin in the world with its own charism.

2. Is it an attraction to receive the consecration /  spiritual anointing  as a bride of Christ ?

If the attraction is towards the second option, there  could be a call to monastic life.  I wonder how to advise / refer women who need to clarify this for themselves.  Does anyone know monasteries, both cloistered ( with traditional enclosure, habits etc.) and non-cloistered ( without traditonal enclosure or habits and even having some active apostolates) that also have the consecration of virgins ?

Their website information would be welcome.

​ Well for starters I remember that a recent solemn profession at St. Cecilia's Abbey in the UK also included the consecration of virgins.