An Old School Catholic Message Board

Horarium

John Paul

I made this topic so people would get a overview what the Daily life of a certain monastery I'll start:

The Poor Clares of Belleville,Il:

At midnight, I will rise to thank You! (Psalm 119)

No2.gif And so Sister Sacristan's bell sounds at 12:30a.m.calling us to choir for the
Office of MATINS and 4:55a.m. for LAUDS,

(Readings) (Morning Prayer)
when we again heed the psalmist's cry:
monastery.gif
With praise, let us awake the dawn! (Psalm57)

cup.gif

A half hour of eucharistic adoration precedes
HOLY MASS at 7:00a.m.,
the spiritual summit of the monastic day.

What return can I make to the Lord for His goodness to me?
I will offer a sacrifice of thanks and call upon His name.
(Psalm 116)

At 8:15a.m. the blessing of the Holy Spirit is invoked upon the whole Church during the Office of TERCE.
(Midmorning Prayer)

Send forth Your Spirit, and they shall be created! (Psalm 104)

3_nuns.gif

And then the works of the monastery morning begin: times of individual Eucharistic adoration for each of us in turn, interwoven with a variety of simple tasks that keep God's house and gardens beautiful and our hearts ever turned to Him in prayer as we ask:

Give success to the work of our hands! (Psalm 90)

plus_nuns.gif

It is Your Face, O Lord, that I seek! (Psalm 27)

The voice of the bell summons us to choir at 10:45a.m. for the Office of SEXT.(Midday Prayer) After a time of silent prayer and reposition of the Blessed Sacrament, there is a half-hour period of SPIRITUAL READING. Then to the sound of the psalm, we go in procession to the refectory for our noon repast. ring_bell.gif
Give thanks to the Lord for He is good;
for His love endures forever! (Psalm 118)

After dinner and a period of general work (dishes!),
the bell calls us to choir at 1:25p.m. when the
Blessed Sacrament is again exposed and we offer ourEucharistic King the Office of NONE.

(Midafternoon Prayer)

lunch.gif

With all my voice, I cry to the Lord! (Psalm 142)

The afternoon works of our hearts (prayer and adoration) and the works of our hands, (gardening, sewing, cleaning, typing, painting, carpentry, to name a few) are placed in the Lord's hands as the bell summons us to choir at 4:10p.m. for Rosary, VESPERS and meditation.
(Evening Prayer)
candles_grill.gif
prostrate.gif Let my prayer rise before You like incense,
the raising of my hands like the evening oblation.
(Psalm 141)

A simple reflection (known in monastic parlance as "collation") at 5:30p.m., is followed by the Angelus and some free time for
prayer, final chores and projects. At 6:40p.m. the bell heralds RECREATION! when the monastery echoes with the sounds
of laughter and sisterly sharing.

How good and how pleasant it is when brothers live in unity! (Psalm 131) nuns_in_row.gif
The laughter is stilled as the 7:30p.m. bell announces night prayers and COMPLINE.

After the singing of the final antiphon to our Lady, a deep silence, - THE GREAT SILENCE, - enfolds the monastery.
The day given to us by God has been given back to Him. By 8:45p.m. the Poor Clare retires, mindful that the Lord
even
gives to His beloved while they slumber (Psalm 127).
Yet it will not be long until the bell, - the voice of God - will resound through the monastery halls:
nun_pray.gif

At midnight a cry was heard:
Behold, the Bridegroom comes:
go out to meet Him!
(Matt. 25:6)

nun_prayR.gif

And with that, another Poor Clare day begins.

monasteryBW.gif

All rights go to the Poor Clare nuns

luxetveritas

I love that you started this post! Great idea!

Discalced Carmelite Nuns Monastery of the Diocese of Wichita

Taken from their website: http://carmelofwichita.com/

4:45 AMRise and dress

5:00 AMAssemble in chapel, begin with Angelus, silent prayer, Divine Office (Lauds), one hour of mental prayer, Divine Office (Terce), pray the Rosary

6:45 AMLight breakfast in silence, work – cleaning

7:45 AMHoly Mass, thanksgiving prayers

9:30 AMWork

10:45 AMDivine Office (Sext)

11:10 AMEat lunch while listening to spiritual material, pray the Rosary while washing dishes

12:00 PMOne hour of recreation, time to speak to one another, hand work

1:00 PMOne hour of rest or silent work

2:00 PMIn chapel, pray Divine Office (None) and spiritual reading

3:00 PMDivine Mercy Chaplet

3:10 PMFree to work

5:00 PMDivine Office (Vespers) and one hour of mental prayer

6:30 PMEat supper while listening to spiritual material and pray the Rosary while washing dishes

7:00 PMOne hour of recreation, time to speak to one another,and hand work

8:00 PMDivine Office (Compline), great silence

9:45 PMDivine Office (Matins), work quietly in cells/reading

11:00 PMBedtime

luxetveritas
  • Franciscan Daughters of Mary (Covington, Kentucky)
  •  
  • Taken from their website: http://www.exclusivesoftware.com/RoseGardenMission/default.html
  •  
  •  
  • 6:00 a.m. – Meditation
  • 7:15 a.m. – Matins -Office & Lauds -Morning Prayer
  • 8:00 a.m. – Mass
  • 8:45 a.m. – Breakfast
  • 10:00 a.m. – Work
  • 12:00 p.m. – Angelus
  • 112:05 p.m. – Sext  - Midday Prayer
  • 12:15 a.m. – Lunch
  • 1:00 p.m. – Work
  • 3:00 p.m. – Divine Mercy Chaplet
  • 4:30 p.m. – Holy Hour
  • 5:30 p.m. – Vespers - Evening Prayer
  • 6:00 p.m. – Dinner
  • 8:00 p.m. – Recreation
  • 9:00 p.m. – Compline - Night Prayer
  • 11:00 p.m. – Solemn Silence

luxetveritas

Franciscan Sisters of John the Baptist (Peoria Heights, IL)

Taken from: http://www.sistersofjohnthebaptist.com/

5:30 - 6:30 AM

Holy Hour, offered for priests and seminarians

Divine Office - Morning Prayer

Meditation

7:00 AM

The Holy Sacrifice of the Mass

7:35 AM

Breakfast

8:00 AM - 4:30 PM

12:00 Noon

Divine Office - Midday Prayer

Lunch

5:15 PM

Divine Office - Vespers and Rosary

6:00 PM

Dinner

6:45 PM

Community Recreation

7:45 PM

Spiritual Reading

8:00 PM

Divine Mercy Chaplet

Divine Office - Compline

10:00 PM

Profound Silence

Ther Order of the Sacred and Immaculate Hearts of Jesus and Mary Daily Schedule All rights go them

7:00AM Liturgy of the Hours (Office of Readings and Morning Prayer) followed by the Peace Chaplet (7 Our Father’s, Hail Mary’s, and Glory Be’s)
8:00AM The Holy Sacrifice of the Mass
9:00AM Breakfast and Fellowship (fasting on bread and water on Wednesdays and Fridays throughout the day)
10:00AM Joyful, Sorrowful, and Glorious Mysteries of the Rosary (Luminous Mysteries are prayed every Thursday as well)
11:30AM Prayerful reading and pondering of Scripture
12:00PM Angelus
12:05PM Lunch and individual time
1:00PM Silent Prayer and Eucharistic Adoration till 3:00PM (with the Stations of the Cross each Friday beginning at 2:30)
3:00PM Chaplet of Divine Mercy
3:15PM Works of Mercy, or service to the community
5:30PM Dinner and Fellowship
7:00PM Evening Prayer, followed by the Chaplet of Union (a chaplet particular to the Order, that focuses on the union between the Hearts of Jesus and Mary)
7:30PM Individual free time
9:00PM Grand Silence

Daily Schedule for the Monastery of Saint Jude

5:00 am Rise
Angelus and Marian Consecration
5:40 Office of Readings and Lauds (Morning Prayer)
Private Prayer
7:00 Terce (Midmorning Prayer)
7:30 Holy Mass (see Chapel Schedule for complete current Mass times)
Breakfast
9:00 Work Period
11:25 Sext (Midday Prayer)
Community Rosary
12 Noon Angelus
Dinner
1:00 pm Recreation
2:00 Silence: Study
and Rest Period
3:00 None (Midafternoon Prayer)
Private Prayer
4:00 Work Period
Novitiate Classes
6:00 Angelus
Vespers (Evening Prayer)
6:30 Supper
7:30 Recreation
8:30 Compline (Night Prayer)
  Retire

Photo of Benediction at Solemn Vespers

The Holy Sacrifice of the Mass & the Divine Office

The solemn celebration of the liturgy is the heart of our whole life and the chief source of its unity. – the Constitutions of the Nuns

The Holy Sacrifice of the Mass is the center of our monastic life. Extending the praise and worship of the Lord throughout the day, the Divine Office, or Liturgy of the Hours, gathers all the various times of the day so that they may be truly sanctified.

In keeping with the tradition of the Church, we sing the major hours in Latin using the traditional Dominican chant of our Order. Compline, an hour observed with devotion from the early days of the Order, we celebrate with special solemnity. Each night the strains of the Dominican Salve Regina bid goodnight to Our Lady, Queen and Protectress of our Order, as we conclude with the procession to her and to our Holy Father Saint Dominic.

Eucharistic Adoration & the Rosary

Throughout the other activities of the day, one or more Sisters is always “on duty” at her Hour of Guard, praying the Rosary at the feet of Our Lady before our Eucharistic Lord. The Aves extend like a leaven throughout the day, uniting us continually to Christ through His Mother, and impelling our hearts to her same response: “Behold, the handmaid of the Lord; be it done unto me according to Thy word.”

Image of the Annunciation by Fra Angelico

Private Prayer

Our times of private prayer are set aside for silent Adoration, meditation, Stations of the Cross, and lectio divina. The intimate, silent contact of our soul with God is renewed here to extend throughout the day. We also look forward to the monthly and yearly retreats which help foster a deeper contemplative life.

Study of Sacred Truth

The study of sacred truth is a special element of the Dominican monastic life. During the week, study may include Holy Scripture, Church documents, or some work of theology or philosophy according to each Sister’s ability. In the course of the year individual correspondence courses, community classes, or visiting teachers help us grow in the knowledge of the Faith and our Dominican life. The Novitiate studies provide the Novices with a firm foundation for their contemplative vocation.

Photo of a Dominican Nun picking fruit

Work

Much of the day is spent in the normal everyday tasks of life, such as cooking, cleaning, sewing, or attending to the community mail. While we often work in common, we maintain our monastic silence except for necessary words. It is in this time that our interior union with Our Lord must transform the most common task into an act of love for Him. As Our Lady’s loving daughters, we often use the recitation of the “Ave” to keep us close to her and her Son.

Recreation

“Blessed be Jesus Christ!” Twice daily the monastic silence breaks into the joyful sounds of recreation. Each Sister brings the day’s anecdotes, spiritual insights, and her own sense of humor to give joy to the community, and in doing so witnesses to the charity of God growing in our midst. Sometimes tackling a community project is the order of the day; at other times the paths and woods beckon, board games are spread out, or various yarn or needlework projects emerge. On holidays, one Sister might practice the piano, another work in the garden, while a third finishes up a secret project (shh!) for Mother’s Feastday. As in any close family, the pleasure of simply being together builds and strengthens the bond of love in Christ.

I just sent you a Private Message!Daily Schedule of Life
Carmelite Nuns
As the Lord lives, whom I serve...” (1 Kings 8:15)

+ HORARIUM +

5:00 a.m. Rise
5:30 Lauds
6:00 Angelus, Meditation
7:00 Conventual Mass, Thanksgiving, Breakfast
8:30 Terce, Rosary, Work
11:15 Sext, Dinner, Recreation
1:00 p.m. Rest
2:00 None, Spiritual Reading
3:00 Prayer to Jesus Crucified, Work
4:30 Meditation
5:30 Vespers
6:00 Angelus, Collation, Recreation
7:30 Matins (Office of Readings)
8:30 Compline
9:00

Retire

And a detailed one of teh carmelite nuns in Michigan

At the Discalced Carmelite
Monastery of the Holy Cross
in Iron Mountain, Michigan

The Monastic Stillness Is Broken

No matter how one may want to look at it, five o’clock is truly early in the morning; and it is at this time that the stillness of the monastery is abruptly broken by the alarm. Yet, in all my years in Carmel — and they are not a few! — the first words spoken for all to hear by the Sister who turns off the alarm have never lost their fresh appeal: “Praised be Jesus Christ and the Virgin Mary, His Mother. Come to prayer, Sisters, come to praise the Lord!” Simple though they be, these few words capture the essence of what a Carmelite’s whole life is all about; namely, prayer and praise of God.

Rising then, I offer my heart anew to Jesus through Mary as I clothe myself once again with her holy habit, both a privilege and a joy to wear, and start down to the choir. On my way I meet one of the other Sisters headed for the laundry room to start a load of wash. Normally when we meet one another in the corridor or wherever, the salutation “Praised be Jesus Christ!” is given by one Sister, the other responding, “Now and forever!” However, as it is still the time of the Great Silence, we greet one another simply with a smile and a nod of the head.

As I pass by the kitchen and refectory, the lights that are on tell me that another Sister is making her usual preparations for breakfast. Almost immediately I notice, too, that the familiar hum of the altar bread mixer is silent today, until I recall that it is Saturday, and there is no baking of altar breads on this day.

Reaching the choir, I see that the Sister Sacristan has just finished putting the linen cloth in the Communion window of our choir grate. She has already prepared the Offertory gifts that will be given to our chaplain at this same window during the Mass. Soon she is lighting the candles that are used in our celebration of the Divine Office throughout the day.

It takes but a minute to prepare my books; then I go next door to the chapter room, where gradually all the Sisters are gathering. As the clock strikes five-thirty, the domestic bell is rung and the signal given for the intoning of Psalm 51. This is recited while by twos we are processing to the choir until each is at her place.

Immediately after reciting the Angelus together, we begin that part of the Divine Office called Lauds or Morning Prayer, our morning praise of God. And how is it, Lord, that You have brought me here—have granted me the grace of being in Carmel? How amesome to realize that at this moment my voice is joined not only with my Sisters here but with the entire Church in honoring, glorifying, and thanking You, as well as interceding for the needs of all!

Remaining with the Lord in Silent Love

Very easily does this time of liturgical prayer flow into the hour of mental prayer. After speaking to the Lord with my mind, heart, and lips, I now remain with Him in silence—a silence not empty but filled with His living presence. St. Teresa once remarked “prayer consists not in thinking much but in loving much.” There are many ways this love can be expressed; but for me it is enough simply to be aware of and to abide in His presence, listening to Him as He speaks to my heart through the Scriptures or the reflections His grace inspires.

From this hour of prayer, one steps naturally into what is certainly the greatest act of praise and worship of God in our entire day: the Mass. Here Our Lord satisfies the very real hunger for holiness by giving Himself, Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity, in Holy Communion. At the same time He accepts the gift of myself which I make to Him in return, uniting me with His Sacrifice, offering me to the Father in the Holy Spirit, allowing me to share in the work of redemption. After Mass we end our period of personal thanksgiving with our daily renewal of vows.

The grace of the Holy Spirit is certainly necessary throughout the day, and it is especially to the Holy Spirit that our prayer at the first “Little Hour” is usually directed. (Terce, Sext, and None are the Latin titles given to these “Little Hours” of the Divine Office; they refer to the third, sixth, and ninth hours of the day, mentioned in Scripture as times of prayer. Brief though the “Little Hours” be, they are full of depth and meaning.)

Sharing in the Lord’s Work

After Terce, the community takes a light breakfast before each Sister goes to her assigned duties. For those in the novitiate, part of this morning work period is usually spent in classes given by the Novice Mistress, who is in charge of their formation. However, Saturdays during the summer months are considered “garden days” in which all who can do so spend time working outdoors, in the garden itself or taking care of the yard and the various shrines around the grounds. Working in silence enables one to reflect on many things, to share everything with the One who is always with us.

Soon an outdoor bell is ringing to alert one and all that shortly it will be time for the next “Little Hour” — Sext, or Midday Prayer. After finishing my work in the garden, I go once more to the choir. Together with my Sisters, I desire to sanctify the morning’s work by uniting it to the Passion of Christ, which is usually the focus of this part of the Divine Office. After this, a few minutes are spent in an examination of conscience.

While breakfast is taken in silence, at both dinner and supper the Sister appointed for the week reads from the Rule and Constitutions, Scripture, and whatever other spiritual book the Prioress has chosen. After our meals, there are always plenty of dishes to be washed. This daily domestic duty shared in by all is also used as an opportunity to offer a few prayers for the many intentions recommended to our prayers each day.

For the second time during the day, we pray the Angelus at the beginning of our community recreation. Recreation is an important part of our daily schedule because it is meant not simply to be a diversion from our prayer and work, but a real and necessary time of renewal for all, a “re-creation” enabling us to begin again afterwards with fresh fervor and energy. While we normally bring some work with us to recreation, it is not so much what we do that is important here, but that we spend this time together, talking, laughing, sharing the “adventures” of the day.

A Refreshing Break from Activity

The hour of free time or “siesta” is preceded by a community visit to the Blessed Sacrament. Here we spend a few minutes honoring Our Lord, with prayers also to the Holy Angels and, lastly, our daily novena prayer to the Infant of Prague for all the intentions recommended to our prayers by so many people.

Refreshed by this little break in our daily activity, we go to the choir for None, the last of the three “Little Hours,” in which our minds are directed once again to the consummation of Christ’s sacrifice on the Cross. Immediately following is the beautiful Litany of Our Lady, prayed alternately by two psalmisters and the other Sisters.

Just as food nourishes the body, good spiritual reading is necessary to nourish the heart, mind, and soul. Scripture, the writings of Sts. Teresa of Avila and John of the Cross, and other spiritual books are meant to fill this need; and so it is important not only to use this time well, but to choose what is most helpful for one’s needs at the present moment.

St. Teresa’s special insight and wisdom in creating a healthy balance among prayer, work, recreation and rest is evident throughout the daily schedule she decided on for her nuns. So now, once more, it is time to take up the tasks I have been assigned as my particular contribution to the smooth running of the house. Nothing that is done through love is small or insignificant, be it mopping the corridors, cleaning the community room, answering community mail, working in our little library, or helping with mending in the sewing room.

The Day Begins to Wind Down

That Carmel is “all Mary’s” rings true in every Carmelite’s heart. She is not only our loving Mother, but also our guide and model in our life of prayer and sacrifice for the Church, for priests, for all souls. A much-loved tradition in Carmel follows; namely, the chanting of the solemn “Salve” in honor of Our Lady. Wearing mantles and holding lighted candles, we process from the chapter room to the choir while the organist plays an interlude. As the hebdomadary for this new week, it is my joy and privilege to intone the hymn while the whole choir then joins in!

As the day begins to wind down, so to speak, this next hour of quiet prayer is a blessing. Then for the third and last time, we pray the Angelus as the evening hours advance.

Gratitude is an important virtue for everyone to cultivate; but for us who rely very much on the Providence of God which is often realized in the generosity and kindness shown us by so many good people, it is even more so. How, then, do we pay this debt? At the end of supper or collation, a Sister reads a list of alms received that day along with the names of the benefactors. The Prioress then invites all the Sisters to pray an Our Father and a Hail Mary for them and their intentions.

Following supper, the same lighthearted happiness pervades our evening recreation as it did at noon. A variety of projects can be seen tonight, from sewing and mending clothes to embroidery or artwork, and often, too, the never-ending job of peeling potatoes and other vegetables for the next day’s meal. But above all the activity going on is the mutual sharing that continues to bond us as a family. At the close of recreation both at noon and in the evening, we have the beautiful custom of saying a short prayer for the dying. Also, in the evening we conclude with a hymn chosen by one of the Sisters.

The Great Silence Begins

Compline or Night Prayer is really the last part of the Divine Office for the day. Beginning with a brief examination of conscience and concluding with the chanting of the simple Salve Regina, it ushers in the few remaining hours of our day. Now the time of Great Silence begins once again; in the peaceful quiet of this free time before Matins, I like to pray the Stations of the Cross in the choir before going to my cell. As solitude and silence are important aids to interior recollection and prayer, this opportunity to spend time alone with the Lord in one’s cell is so precious to everyone here.

While Matins, or the Office of Readings, may normally be said at any time of the day, for monastic orders it has been long been the tradition to keep Matins‘ nocturnal character, anticipating the Office of the next day. For us, then, Matins is said later in the evening and actually is the first part of the Divine Office for the following day.

The clock now strikes ten and the community leaves the choir in silence; we kneel in the corridor just outside the choir as one of the Sisters sounds the clappers and gives a short spiritual thought for us to reflect on while preparing to retire. The Prioress then gives each Sister the traditional night blessing with the words “May the all-powerful Lord grant you a peaceful night and a perfect end.” In response I make the Sign of the Cross and, as a token of obedience, kiss the Scapular she extends to me. Now, after a long but blessed day, I return to our cell, tired, yes, but peaceful and happy, too. By eleven o’clock the last lights from various Sisters’ cells go out. As I drift off to sleep, hopefully these words from the Song of Songs, “I sleep but my heart keeps watch,” will be true for me also, until it is time to rise once again, refreshed and ready when the Lord’s gift of another day in Carmel dawns.

With thanks to one of the Carmelite Nuns in Iron Mountain, Michigan, for sharing her personal reflections

3:00 a.m.Rise 3:30    Matins Private prayer,reading, study

6:00Lauds

7:00Mass Breakfast
Lectio Divina
9:00Terce9:15Manual Labor11:50Sext12:00 p.m.Dinner1:00 Solemn Silence2:00Work3:00Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament None, Rosary Work5:15Supper6:15Vespers Recreation7:30Compline

linden,virginia Dominican Nuns daily schedule

The cloistered Dominican Nuns of the Perpetual Rosary Lancaster,PA

Morning Prayer 6:00 AM
Daily Mass 6:45 AM
Office of Reading 8:15 AM
Mid-Day Prayer 11:50 AM
Dinner followed by recreation 12:00 PM
Lectio and profound silence 1:30-3:00 PM
Mid-Afternoon Prayer 3:00 PM
Rosary in common, Evening Prayer
and Private Prayer
4:50-6:00 PM
Supper followed by recreation 6:00-8:00 PM
Night Prayer 8:00 PM

NY Dominican Nuns

The Daily Schedule of Praise

The Dominican nun”s daily schedule is governed not by the work or domestic claims of her monastery but by the orderly arrangement of the periods of time spent in liturgical and private prayer.  In union with Christ, she knows in prayer the fellowship in which the power to support, comfort, assist and strengthen others knows no limitations of physical or geographical boundaries.

SCHEDULE

MONDAY – FRIDAY

SATURDAY

SUNDAY

Morning Prayer

5:45am

5:55am

5:55am

Daily Mass

7:30am

7:45am

7:45am

Terce

-

7:35am

7:35am

Mid-day Prayer & Rosary

11:35am

-

11:35am

Office of Readings & Mid-day Prayer

-

11:15am

-

Mid-afternoon Prayer

3:55pm

3:55pm

4:05pm

Lectio Divina & Office of Readings

-

-

5:00pm

Office of ReadingsSpring/Summer

5:05pm

-

-

Fall/Winter

7:00pm

-

-

Evening PrayerSummer/ Spring

Fall/Winter

Compline

8:15pm

8:30pm

Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament

Wednesday after Mass untill 5:30pm

-

After mass    untill 12:00pm

Benediction

Wednesday 5:30pm

-

-

Mount Thabor Dominican Nuns:

Our daily schedule focuses on the Divine Office (Liturgy of the Hours), which we sing or chant together in Chapel. All other activities flow around these Liturgical prayers.

Daily

Holy Mass at the Monastery
The Eucharist is the center of contemplative life.
Work period
Sewing, art work, garden work or whatever work may be assigned.

5:30 a.m.

Rise

6:00 a.m.

Office of Readings
Three psalms are chanted and two or three readings follow. The first reading is a selection of Sacred Scripture. The second reading is an excerpt from the Early Fathers of the Church, or a portion of documents of Vatican II, or from the lives of the Saints. The third reading is that of the Saint of the day.
Meditation
We seek God through silence. One ponders the Words of Scripture remaining always in God's presence by listening in silence. First of two meditation periods done in common in Chapel.
Lauds (Morning Prayer)
Psalms of praise to God as we marvel of His greatness.
Breakfast
Silence pervades a very simple meal.

12:00 Noon

Sext (Midday Prayer)
Early monasticism counted the hours of daylight. This is the sixth hour of the day (midday). Sanctifying the day in praise of God with scripture psalms and a short reading.
Dinner
Our main meal of the day.
Reading, study, relaxing
In profound silence in our cells (private rooms).

3:00 p.m.

None (Midafternoon Prayer)
This is the ninth hour of the day (midafternoon). Sanctifying the day in praise of God with scripture psalms and a short reading.
Rosary
Five decades recited together in Chapel. According to tradition, the devotion of the Rosary was spread by St. Dominic in the thirteenth century.
Work period
Sewing, art work, garden work or whatever work may be assigned.
Class
We read and discuss the Encyclicals, Dominican life, scripture, etc.
Special classes for Novices.
Free time

6:00 p.m.

Vespers (Evening Prayer)
This great prayer ends the final Hours (times of the day) of Liturgical prayer and is prayed in singing God's praises.
Meditation
Second of two meditation periods done in common in Chapel.
Light supper
Recreation
The Sisters gather for laughter and fun.

8:30 p.m.

Compline (Night Prayer)
The final prayer is sung. Processions close the day honoring Our Lady and St. Dominic our Founder.
Retire . . . silence
Read in our cells (private rooms) as one wishes.

Night Vigils

Rise
For Liturgical prayer on important feasts.