An Old School Catholic Message Board

question about Carmelites

MarysLittleFlower

MarysLittleFlower

I'm just trying to do some research..  Do Carmelite convents ever have Adoration? Does anyone know? I'm asking because its not always listed in their schedule.  Thank you! 

I'm just trying to do some research..  Do Carmelite convents ever have Adoration? Does anyone know? I'm asking because its not always listed in their schedule.  Thank you!

​The Carmelite monastery of St. Joseph in St. Louis has daily adoration from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. (approximately). I think they are one of the mew Carmelite monasteries that has that much adoration.

http://www.stlouiscarmel.com/

truthfinder

This very much depends on the community. I think most have an hour particularly on first Fridays. They definitely have less than say the Poor Clares. It's a part of their prayer life - a sense of the hidden Jesus; or at least that's how I understand it. But some monasteries will have way more or way less than others even within associations or constitutions, and some times heavily dictated by how much time a priest can spend with them too. 

AccountDeleted

The communities I have been in have all been different - all having Adoration but some once a month, some once a week etc. Some have had Benediction once a week (with a priest of course) that also included a small amount of time for Adoration. If no priest is available, a Prioress can remove the Blessed Sacrament from the Tabernacle, position it and also replace it after Adoration, when no priest is available and if permission is given by the Bishop. Sometimes the limiting factor is the small number of sisters in a community which makes it difficult to ensure that the Blessed Sacrament is never left alone.