An Old School Catholic Message Board

Divine Office

LoveZoe11

Random Question: How many on this forum try to pray at least some part of the Divine Office daily?(specifically those not in religious life) I usually pray at least morning and Compline. (sometimes office of readings)

Also, do you use an app/online version or book form?

totustuus20

I pray morning and compline as well, and I use ibreviary on my ipad because I don't have a book yet.

BarbTherese

I am in the lay celibate life, private vows. I use a book "Prayer from The Divine Office" which includes the four week Psalter and feasts, liturgical seasons.  I pray Morning and Evening Prayer as well as Night Prayer - with time for private mental prayer during the day.  I have had the book since1982.  It is an effort for me not to become scrupulous sometimes if I do have to shorten these prayer times, or even suspend them all together and due to demand of other matters, calls or duties.  I find ready consolation and shelter in The Lord's Love and Mercy.............most often.  I am very conscious indeed of how desperately I need daily prayer while remaining quite conscious that I am called to secular life in the laity and not monastic life and routines.

I work two days voluntary and this asks two buses to and from my place of work.  On these days I pray from The Little Office of Our Lady on the buses as well as Chaplet of Mercy and The Rosary.  The Little Office of Our Lady is indeed little and fits snugly into my bag.  I leave for work at 7.40am and after two buses home do a grocery shop.  I am totally exhausted when I actually do get home and hence my 'on the bus' prayer is the only prayer on days I work other than what I call "praying on the run" or as I go about my day.

Credo in Deum

I should pray it.  When I do I use the BrevMeum app which is the traditional office.  Pretty great app.

Edited by Credo in Deum

veritasluxmea

Usually I'll read the selected reading for the day on my phone. I've only actually prayed the whole thing when visiting convents and usually they'll give the retreatants a little handout. Once in a monastery I got my own little green book for the whole weekend, it was amesome. It felt so official. No person on the retreat could figure out how to use it, so one of the Sisters just told us the page number. Went through the whole retreat and by the end still couldn't figure it out lol. 

cathedral monk

I have the fransican office which I try to pray in the mornings, it's not going very well, it's a little booklet. I find reading from a book far better than from a screen.

I try to pray Compline in the evenings, with varied success. I use a little book from my former monastery.