An Old School Catholic Message Board

what does it mean to be catholic?

cathedral monk

cathedral monk

A question that just kind of popped up in my mind. And I'm not quite sure how to answer it. I posed this question on open mike to get answers from everyone. Maybe by reading your answers it will spark an answer in me. So...what does it mean to be catholic? to you.

BarbTherese

For me, it is the greatest honour God can bestow. It is a great responsibility and accountability, a clear call and vocation.

Credo in Deum

So...what does it mean to be catholic? to you.

It means, Jesus Christ.  His life, His way, His love.  

to have a personal relationship with Jesus.

Perhaps, THE MOST personal relationship one can have, this side of eternity.  Through His Church, His Word, His Sacraments (especially the Eucharist); being Catholic is to have the fullness of "means" to have this personal relationship.

^^^^^ This.

There are a lot of ways to be Christian. The Catholic way involves:

1. Specifically Catholic theology (mulled over and sifted through for two millennia; "proven" through two millennia of the lived experience of women and men, lay and religious, in a great many countries/cultures/times);

2. The sacraments - an expression of Catholic theology;

3. Catholic tradition - the rosary, the liturgical calendar, the cycles of readings, religious orders, and lots of other stuff.

HopefulHeart

To follow the two greatest commandments (Matthew 22:36-40) in the fullest manner, to follow Sacred Scripture and Tradition, and to believe the truths expressed in the Nicene Creed.

Obviously, being Catholic means many other things to me, but those are some basic aspects that come to mind. :)

It means knowing for 100% sure, without any doubt, that when I pray, God hears me. Even if I don't get an answer right away.

The Historian

To be a Catholic is to be a child of God.  It means to stand in relation to God as our Father.  But it is not to be just any child of God.  It is to be His Only Begotten Son.  It is to be made into the image of Jesus Christ by baptism, and to perpetuate His life in the Church and in our own personal lives, by the assistance of the Sacraments, by relying on prayer, and by loving one another.  It is to be united to Christ, and for His merits to cover our own weakness and folly.  It is to cease to exist, it is death to ourselves, so that only Christ lives within us, and the Father ceases to see us, but instead sees only Christ.

veritasluxmea

In a word: Love.

Elaborated: Being Catholic is all about love. Being in a communion of love with God (sacraments and doctrine) neighbor (teachings) and self (practice and virtues). This is only happens when I'm in the closest union, relationship, with Jesus possible- and the Church offers me that. It's what God gave me to have that.  God knows my human nature needs confession, Him in the Eucharist, for some teachings to be revealed to my darkened human intellect.The result is my salvation, the striving for salvation of my brothers and sisters, to start to become like God, like Jesus. Love, it all comes down to love, now and in eternity. 

Ok I wrote that and was all happy for a bit, then started thinking about how TERRIBLE I am in actually living it out LOL. But being Catholic means I keep trying! 

To me it means having an art to practice that has been in progress for 2000 years...an art of suffering, an art of praying, an art of dying, an art of community, an art of smiling, an art of sinning.

cathedral monk

Wow thanx guys. Your answers have both confirmed what I was already thinking and she'd light on some aspects I didn't even think of. Lol...now I need to get it out in words. 

“Wherever the Catholic sun doth shine,
There’s always laughter and good red wine.
At least I’ve always found it so.
Benedicamus Domino!”