An Old School Catholic Message Board

Easter Eggs vs Chocolates

oremus1

IgnatiusofLoyola

Like Marigold, I would go for Easter Eggs, unless the person has specifically said they prefer chocolates.

Oh yes, Easter Eggs are definitely not just for kids!

IgnatiusofLoyola

but for important people like priestly houses, nun friends, adult friends? eggs are kinda bland and boring.

​Yes, it might be different in some circumstances. Personally, I don't find Easter eggs or Easter baskets bland and boring--I find them cheerful and a reminder of spring, and of when I was a small child when I LOVED Easter eggs. I thought Easter eggs  were beautiful, and extra special because I only got them once a year.

But, everyone is different and there is no one "right" way to feel about Easter eggs. Unfortunately, this can make it difficult to predict how others, particularly adults, feel about Easter eggs, unless you have talked about it at some point (or have specifically asked them).

Also, if your gift is to a community, rather than an individual, one purpose behind a gift might be something the Community could share. Alternatives to Easter eggs (in addition to chocolates) could be Easter cookies, Easter cupcakes, loaves of special Easter bread, etc.

If you personally would prefer to give something other than Easter eggs, I'd say that anything Easter-related would be appropriate, and would most likely be appreciated as much as Easter eggs.

For individuals in religious communities, it might not hurt to ask, because, depending on the community, the members of the community might be inundated with sweet things for Easter from friends, and would really appreciate (or even need) some other type of Easter gift.

​Yes, it might be different in some circumstances. Personally, I don't find Easter eggs or Easter baskets bland and boring--I find them cheerful and a reminder of spring, and of when I was a small child when I LOVED Easter eggs. I thought Easter eggs  were beautiful, and extra special because I only got them once a year.

But, everyone is different and there is no one "right" way to feel about Easter eggs. Unfortunately, this can make it difficult to predict how others, particularly adults, feel about Easter eggs, unless you have talked about it at some point (or have specifically asked them).

Also, if your gift is to a community, rather than an individual, one purpose behind a gift might be something the Community could share. Alternatives to Easter eggs (in addition to chocolates) could be Easter cookies, Easter cupcakes, loaves of special Easter bread, etc.

If you personally would prefer to give something other than Easter eggs, I'd say that anything Easter-related would be appropriate, and would most likely be appreciated as much as Easter eggs.

For individuals in religious communities, it might not hurt to ask, because, depending on the community, the members of the community might be inundated with sweet things for Easter from friends, and would really appreciate (or even need) some other type of Easter gift.

My concern is twofold. Namely, 1) it is hard to find very fine quality MATURE easter eggs for important people, like persona bishop friends etc. 2)​ if there is a community, how do you share a large egg shell?

Would it be ok if I get a box of fine chocolate like Godiva or something and wrap it in Easter Egg wrapping paper,

IgnatiusofLoyola

I am definitely over 25 and I still love Easter eggs. However, my tastes have changed since I was a kid. Now I'm more I'm more likely to buy an Easter egg in a flavor I like from a well-known candy store (the same store that would sell nice chocolates) than to eat a chocolate bunny or jelly beans. But that's just me. I also love decorated Easter cookies. One exception to my change in tastes--Cadbury's chocolate eggs. As I said in my earlier post, part of the reason that Easter treats felt (and still feel) so special are that they are only available at Easter.

Ideally others will speak up about how they feel about Easter eggs and other Easter treats.

I am definitely over 25 and I still love Easter eggs. However, my tastes have changed since I was a kid. Now I'm more I'm more likely to buy an Easter egg in a flavor I like from a well-known candy store (the same store that would sell nice chocolates) than to eat a chocolate bunny or jelly beans. But that's just me. I also love decorated Easter cookies. One exception to my change in tastes--Cadbury's chocolate eggs. As I said in my earlier post, part of the reason that Easter treats felt (and still feel) so special are that they are only available at Easter.

Ideally others will speak up about how they feel about Easter eggs and other Easter treats.

​Oh right. I get it now. Thanks very much. it is the specialness of Easter that is important, not the quality of the chocolate.

I just can't imagine a bishop or even a priest or some important cardinal eating an easter egg. or even giving or receiving one.

Do you have special mature ones? do you give and receive to older people also? I have never known older people to involve themselves in this.

IgnatiusofLoyola

I have two special VERY mature (late 80's) people in my life who still enjoy Easter treats. My mother still sends me Easter eggs, although now that I am an adult, she asks me specifically what I would like. Also, I live across the street from a retirement/nursing home of Religious Sisters, and I have one special friend who has a type of petit-four cake that she especially likes, that I can only find at Christmas and Easter. From pictures I've seen of (female) Religious Communities, they frequently seem to do something special for Easter that involves some type of Easter treat. (However, I have no idea whether this is different in communities that lead very ascetic lives--maybe others know.) And, I confess my ignorance about Easter treats in male communities. I hope others will chime in.

Most adults I know (of a wide range of ages) still have a bit (or more than a bit) of the "kid" in them. Also, I wouldn't be suprised if an adult's feelings about Easter treats aren't strongly influenced by how Easter was celebrated when they were growing up.

I have two special VERY mature (late 80's) people in my life who still enjoy Easter treats. My mother still sends me Easter eggs, although now that I am an adult, she asks me specifically what I would like. Also, I live across the street from a retirement/nursing home of Religious Sisters, and I have one special friend who has a type of petit-four cake that she especially likes, that I can only find at Christmas and Easter. From pictures I've seen of (female) Religious Communities, they frequently seem to do something special for Easter that involves some type of Easter treat. (However, I have no idea whether this is different in communities that lead very ascetic lives--maybe others know.) And, I confess my ignorance about Easter treats in male communities. I hope others will chime in.

Most adults I know (of a wide range of ages) still have a bit (or more than a bit) of the "kid" in them. Also, I wouldn't be suprised if an adult's feelings about Easter treats aren't strongly influenced by how Easter was celebrated when they were growing up.

​If you had a bishop friend, would you give him an easter egg? do bishops eat Easter eggs?

Do you think the Pope or Cardinals eat Easter Eggs?

IgnatiusofLoyola

​If you had a bishop friend, would you give him an easter egg? do bishops eat Easter eggs?
Do you think the Pope or Cardinals eat Easter Eggs?

​The Cardinals and the Pope come from cultures different than ours. I would expect that their celebration of Easter reflects both their country of birth and the country in which they now reside. If I had a Bishop friend, I would ask him what he especially likes for Easter, and give him that.

I strongly suspect that Cardinals in the U.S., Canada, and the UK eat Easter eggs or some other type of Easter treat. (Those are the only three cultures I know more than a little about, and which I know include Easter eggs. Easter celebrations in other cultures may or may not include Easter eggs--I'm not sure.) I can easily imagine Pope Francis eating an Easter egg given him as a gift from a trusted friend. (The Pope has security issues that the rest of us don't face.) In his own home, I imagine Pope Francis eats whatever type of Easter treat is common from his Argentinian/Italian heritage. I expect that the Sisters who care for the Pope have asked him what he would especially like to eat to celebrate Easter, and prepare that for him.

​The Cardinals and the Pope come from cultures different than ours. I would expect that their celebration of Easter reflects both their country of birth and the country in which they now reside. If I had a Bishop friend, I would ask him what he especially likes for Easter, and give him that.

I strongly suspect that Cardinals in the U.S., Canada, and the UK eat Easter eggs or some other type of Easter treat. (Those are the only three cultures I know more than a little about, and which I know include Easter eggs. Easter celebrations in other cultures may or may not include Easter eggs--I'm not sure.) I can easily imagine Pope Francis eating an Easter egg given him as a gift from a trusted friend. (The Pope has security issues that the rest of us don't face.) In his own home, I imagine Pope Francis eats whatever type of Easter treat is common from his Argentinian/Italian heritage. I expect that the Sisters who care for the Pope have asked him what he would especially like to eat to celebrate Easter, and prepare that for him.

Thank you for your help

​Sir, you are clearly some sort of an expert on Easter-Egg related matters :P

IgnatiusofLoyola

Thank you for your help
​Sir, you are clearly some sort of an expert on Easter-Egg related matters :P

​No, I am not an expert at all, which is why I hope others post here, too.

Also, I am not a "sir," I am female. I chose the user name IgnatiusofLoyola because my birthday is July 31, the feast day of St. Ignatius. (You are not the first person to think I was male--nor will you be the last! :)) I am not insulted at all! Feel free to call me Iggy, lots of other people here do!