An Old School Catholic Message Board

Easter Eggs vs Chocolates

oremus1

AccountDeleted

When you guys say "Easter eggs" you are talking about hard boiled eggs right? And, some of you are saying you prefer hard boiled eggs to chocolate?!

<-- Legit confused.

I can see the confusion. Americans (of which I am half) color hard boiled eggs and have Easter baskets full of candy. Australians (of which I am the other half) have chocolate Easter eggs, not real ones, which they exchange and don't usually give baskets. Some of these chocolate eggs are hollow, some are solid chocolate and some are filled with other things like vanilla creme or peppermint creme etc. (not real cream, but a loose sugary concoction). Sometimes we have chocolate bunnies but we are trying to get away from the rabbit (a pest here) and we have an Easter Bilby (native animal). But bilbies are ugly and not cuddly like bunnies, so they aren't as popular with kids! LOL

In Australia we don't really color hard boiled eggs, but as I am from an American family, we usually do get together and do this, just as we also celebrate Thanksgiving on a weekend close to Thanksgiving Thursday, and sometimes we have Halloween parties because Aussies don't have Halloween tick or treating either.

So here, there is a lot of swapping of chocolate eggs of all sizes and types. But not usually  boxes of chocolates.  

bd-bucket-of-easter-eggs.jpg

Easter-Eggs-1.jpg

AccountDeleted

So I'm the only American in this thread?

​No, just the only one posting in this thread??? LOL 

I'm not as fond of the hollow chocolate Easter eggs as I am of the Cadbury creme filled ones that only come out at Easter. Those are so rich and so sweet that I can only have one every once in awhile, but I do love them.

cadbury_creme_egg_40g_4_eggs.jpg

​You've just inspired a trip to the Dollar Store.

AccountDeleted

​You've just inspired a trip to the Dollar Store.

​I have one in my cupboard right now. I can save one for days and then finally give in to temptation! LOL :) 

IgnatiusofLoyola

When you guys say "Easter eggs" you are talking about hard boiled eggs right? And, some of you are saying you prefer hard boiled eggs to chocolate?!

<-- Legit confused.

​When I say Easter eggs, I'm mostly talking about chocolate or other candy eggs. When I was growing up, my mother would also have us dye hard-boiled eggs for Easter, but I've never liked hard-boiled eggs, so, while I had fun dyeing them, I would never eat them. After Easter, my mother would make egg salad sandwiches (which I would eat).

I think the popularity of dyed hard-boiled eggs versus chocolate and other candy eggs may differ from place to place. I think (not sure) that in some other countries dyed hard boiled eggs are more common than chocolate eggs. For example, I've heard of loaves of bread with hard boiled eggs braided into them.

I'm American. I suspect that even within the U.S., the popularity of dyed hard-boiled eggs versus candy eggs differs. In recent years, with more commercialization of Easter, in the supermarket you find far more varieties of candy eggs than I had growing up. But, most stores also sell dyeing kits for hard-boiled eggs, so these are apparently popular, too. However, while many adults give and eat chocolate eggs (especially high quality ones) or some other type of Easter treat such as Easter cookies or cakes, I associate dyeing hard-boiled eggs as something you do with or for children, and you wouldn't give hard-boiled eggs to adults, unless they were beautifully or intricately dyed.

Caveat: Since I have never done or read any study of Easter egg practices in the U.S., I have no idea if my observations reflect general practice or only my own experience. :idontknow:

All I know is if you do a Google image search for "easter eggs" it is 90% the hard boiled variety. I'm the normal one. :P

I have another question

When is it OK to give Easter Eggs? But it is nice to have them on Easter Sunday - what if you cano't get there on Easter Sunday? you have to give it before or after. which is better?

IgnatiusofLoyola

All I know is if you do a Google image search for "easter eggs" it is 90% the hard boiled variety. I'm the normal one. :P

I wish for you, and for everyone else who likes hard-boiled eggs for Easter, all the beautifully (or at least, lovingly) decorated hard-boiled eggs you could want.  For those of us who prefer candy eggs--chocolate or otherwise--then I wish for you exactly the types of eggs you prefer. As for what is "normal" regarding Easter egg customs, I'm sure that some day someone will come up with a "pop psychology" quiz to analyze our Easter egg preferences, and we will treat it with the respect it deserves. Namely, none. Who cares?

When is it OK to give Easter Eggs?

[Edited for mature content]

But it is nice to have them on Easter Sunday - what if you cano't get there on Easter Sunday? you have to give it before or after. which is better?

​The expected time to give Easter eggs (or other Easter treats) is on Easter Sunday. If that is not possible, then give the recipient the Easter eggs before Easter. I've never heard of anyone giving Easter eggs after Easter. (Then again, as I've said before, I make no pretense at being an expert.)

BTW--Unlike Christmas, where giving and receiving presents might be expected, for Easter, giving Easter eggs--whether hard-boiled or candy, or other Easter treats--is optional, except that parents (and perhaps grandparents or other close relatives) are expected to give Easter eggs to their children. (Again, if someone disagrees, please speak up). That is not to say that giving some type of Easter egg or treat to an adult would not be appreciated or appropriate, only that in most cases it is not required or even expected.

I'm going to leave the Easter Bunny out of this discussion. That discussion belongs in the parenting forum. :)

I have another question

When is it OK to give Easter Eggs? [Edited for mature content] But it is nice to have them on Easter Sunday - what if you cano't get there on Easter Sunday? you have to give it before or after. which is better?

​Just to be clear, since my post got censored - my *Parish Priest* does not like it if people give them out before Easter. He gets really mad. We gave them out at end of term to the Homeless Shelter and as it was before Easter he was horrified and joked about wanting to crush them up.

I can see why this would be upsetting to young eyes to read, however

BTW--Unlike Christmas, where giving and receiving presents might be expected, for Easter, giving Easter eggs--whether hard-boiled or candy, or other Easter treats--is optional, except that parents (and perhaps grandparents or other close relatives) are expected to give Easter eggs to their children. (Again, if someone disagrees, please speak up). That is not to say that giving some type of Easter egg or treat to an adult would not be appreciated or appropriate, only that in most cases it is not required or even expected.

​I like to give them to Priests, Bishops and Religious Orders. Priests like to be remembered at special times, mainly for thoughtfulness. Religious Orders usually have a big celebration for Easter so it is good to add to their choco supplies. Bishops, only if I know them fairly well personally, and mainly because It is very funny to think that a bishop will eat an easter egg

My kids got a solid Chocolate bunny, jelly beans, toothpaste and a new toothbrush in a wicker basket with plastic grass, early Sunday morning, every Easter from the day they started crawling until they left home for collage