An Old School Catholic Message Board

What is your daily prayer life like?

Carson

Hello everyone! I was wondering - what is your prayer life like day to day? Obviously, a huge part of discernment is prayer.

My routine is like this:

If I'm not busy, I do morning prayer, all of the mysteries of the rosary, the Divine Mercy chaplet, and the Prayer for Discernment from Imagine Sisters. If I'm busy (school, clubs, church activities, chores), then I may only get to morning prayer and a rosary.

BONUS: If you are really busy, how do you find time to pray?

On weekdays 2-3 offices of the Divine Office ,rosary,Angelus,and if time the Divine Mercy Chaplet.

On weekend COMPLETE Divine Officce,the Angelus 3x through out the day,a few minutes of mental prayer,rosary,divine mercy chaplet,and prayers to my favorite saints.If I am busy I make sure I pray the Divine Office and a rosary in the car.

MarysLittleFlower

One thing I would really recommend as well with discernment is doing mental prayer and prayers of reparation to Our Lord :)

Do any of you ever do contemplative prayer / prayer of the quiet? Do anyone do just personal prayer rather than rote/etc prayers?

puellapaschalis

I pray two Offices in the morning and two in the evening; sometimes I can pray at midday, depending on what's going on. Getting to Mass is similarly dependent on what's happening - Mass locally is later in the morning so it's not always possible, except on Sundays it's of course guaranteed, happily.

Three times a day I say the Angelus, sometimes on my own and sometimes with others.

20 mins to half an hour of meditation either early in the morning or in the evening, but I don't manage that every day. Perhaps three times a week.

I anything that is betwween you and God.

​I was just wondering people the people on the thread only listed like rote prayers or liturgical prayer

AccountDeleted

​I was just wondering people the people on the thread only listed like rote prayers or liturgical prayer

​Actually a few people said that they do mental prayer. Mental prayer can be referred to in many different ways: meditation, reflection, contemplation, prayer of quiet, examen, etc.

Some people find mental prayer difficult without the help of repetitive prayers like the Rosary or the Jesus Prayer, specific topics of meditation etc, while others find that set prayers distract them from mental prayer. We are all different and God will allow us to use different types of prayer to increase our love for Him and relationship with Him.

AccountDeleted

Does anyone pray using their own words?

​Of course. Conversations with God are quite common. Is that how you pray? I think the closer a person feels to God, the easier it is for them to speak with him directly, in their own words - like dear friends. This is an excellent way to begin a period of mental prayer.

​Of course. Conversations with God are quite common. Is that how you pray? I think the closer a person feels to God, the easier it is for them to speak with him directly, in their own words - like dear friends. This is an excellent way to begin a period of mental prayer.

​I like to pray in my own words, quite often. But I sometimes worry it is better to do a different form of set prayers instead. Or that personal prayer is not as good.

AccountDeleted

​I like to pray in my own words, quite often. But I sometimes worry it is better to do a different form of set prayers instead. Or that personal prayer is not as good.

​A lot of saints had quite personal conversations with God. There is value in any kind of prayer if it brings one closer to God. One time when I had received quite distressing news and was in a complete state of shock, I found the only prayer I could do was the Rosary because it helped me not to think about the situation and to recover my equilibrium. By the time I had finished five decades, I was ready to think about my situation again and to talk to God personally about it.

Set prayers can provide structure and discipline, but personal conversations can provide intimacy. Both good.

totustuus20

I pray LOTH Morning Prayer and Compline, and I try to get to the rosary but it doesn't always happen. In addition, I try to do an examen at the end of every day, and lots of mental prayer throughout the day.

Mary+Immaculate<3

Every day I try to pray Dietrich Bonhoeffer's morning prayer, found here.

I try to do a rosary (the day's set of mysteries), but I'm really bad at being consistent sometimes. Occasionally I'll do a Mater Dolorosa rosary.

Lectio Divina is something that I always seem toput off, but end up being happy I did.

Writing poetry is something that helps me sort my "theological" thoughts.

During adoration, if I am concentrated enough, I just try to talk to God. It is much easier in the chapel, when He's right there.