An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why don't we Catholics ever use the term, Maundy Thursday?

Guest Anonymous McGillicuddy

Why don't we Catholics ever use the term, Maundy Thursday? Is it out of favor for some reason?

AccountDeleted

Why don't we Catholics ever use the term, Maundy Thursday? Is it out of favor for some reason?

​There's a very detailed description of the name Maundy, its possible origin, and its use (or non-use) on Wikipedia. The link is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maundy_Thursday 

I won't copy and paste all of that here but it does seem that 'Maundy' was not used everywhere or to the same extent everywhere. Here is an except:

Use of the names "Maundy Thursday", "Holy Thursday", and the others is not evenly distributed. What is considered the normal name for the day varies according to geographical area and religious allegiance. Thus, although in England "Maundy Thursday" is the normal term, the term is rarely used in IrelandScotland or Canada. People may use one term in a religious context and another in the context of the civil calendar of the country in which they live.

Theologian in Training

You are referring to the end of the Gospel which ends with these words: “I have given you a model to follow, so that as I have done for you, you should also do.” It is what is known as the mandatum, a Latin word that simply means “mandate,” and one of the few times in Scripture where God gives us a command, tells us that what He does we must do. Holy Thursday is also known as “Maundy Thursday,” because from the Latin, Maundy is translated as mandatum, which is what we know as mandate: the mandate to “to love one another as I have loved you,” which Jesus demonstrates with the washing of the feet and which the priest imitates during the Mass. However, Holy Thursday is not just about the mandate, it is also about the institution of the Eucharist as well as the institution of the priesthood, which is why, perhaps, we just call it "Holy Thursday," or the "Mass of the Lord's Supper," since it is a Mass that encompasses more than just the "mandatum."