An Old School Catholic Message Board

Beautiful video of our Holy Father washing female prisoner's feet

Aragon

KnightofChrist

Today in the Church ignoring the rubrics of the Mass or a traditional ritual is fairly widespread, many times with the best of intentions. I wish the Pope would change the law rather than simply ignore it. If a King ignores his own laws why should his people obey them? Anyway, whatever.

Sorry, but that's an even worse argument for an all make priesthood. 

I see no justification for ascribing "gender" roles to a relationship or promise.  

Relegating female/bride characteristics are nonsensical other than to bolster the idea that males are more able and females are inherently incapable to fulfill a promise.  

​It's only a worse argument if you support same sex marriage, and think there is no validity in maintaining that marriage is between a man (masculine) and woman (feminine). That is an entirely different debate though.

Today in the Church ignoring the rubrics of the Mass or a traditional ritual is fairly widespread, many times with the best of intentions. I wish the Pope would change the law rather than simply ignore it. If a King ignores his own laws why should his people obey them? Anyway, whatever.

​Isn't that what the Pharisees said to Jesus? (Not calling you a Pharisee, just saying that he very explicitly broke the law, on the grounds that the law was made for man, not the other way around).

​It's only a worse argument if you support same sex marriage, and think there is no validity in maintaining that marriage is between a man (masculine) and woman (feminine). That is an entirely different debate though.

I think the Church would have better served the concept of sacramental marriage if it had maintained the importance of lifelong commitment and not simply subfugated it as a mere fertility effort. In that sense it addresses the easy divorce mentality, hetero sexual fidelity, stable social element for children and family, etc.  the mutually supporting and sacrificial elements of marriage are more important than a faith breeding pair (Duggar). ;)

KnightofChrist

​Isn't that what the Pharisees said to Jesus? (Not calling you a Pharisee, just saying that he very explicitly broke the law, on the grounds that the law was made for man, not the other way around).

There is a big difference between the law of the Pharisees and the laws and rubrics of the Catholic Church. So the answer is no. I dislike how Catholic laws and rubrics are so often compared to the law of the Pharisees. But I've had that discussion with Protestants (even some not so traditionally minded Catholics) far too much in the pass to want to discuss it again. I'll just go with that's an unfair and unwarranted comparison. Also Christ did change or rebuke those laws of the Pharisees rather than simply ignore them. He condemned the law that allowed divorce, condemned the law that allowed stoning, and condemned others as well.

At that time Jesus went through the corn on the sabbath: and his disciples being hungry, began to pluck the ears, and to eat. [2] And the Pharisees seeing them, said to him: Behold thy disciples do that which is not lawful to do on the sabbath days. [3] But he said to them: Have you not read what David did when he was hungry, and they that were with him: [4] How he entered into the house of God, and did eat the loaves of proposition, which it was not lawful for him to eat, nor for them that were with him, but for the priests only? [5] Or have ye not read in the law, that on the sabbath days the priests in the temple break the sabbath, and are without blame? [6] But I tell you that there is here a greater than the temple. [7] And if you knew what this meaneth: I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: you would never have condemned the innocent. [8] For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath. [9] And when he had passed from thence, he came into their synagogues. [10] And behold there was a man who had a withered hand, and they asked him, saying: Is it lawful to heal on the sabbath days? that they might accuse him. [11] But he said to them: What man shall there be among you, that hath one sheep: and if the same fall into a pit on the sabbath day, will he not take hold on it and lift it up? [12] How much better is a man than a sheep? Therefore it is lawful to do a good deed on the sabbath days. [13] Then he saith to the man: Stretch forth thy hand; and he stretched it forth, and it was restored to health even as the other. [14] And the Pharisees going out made a consultation against him, how they might destroy him. [15] But Jesus knowing it, retired from thence: and many followed him, and he healed them all.

Breaking the law is part of Christian tradition. Not the only part, but an important one. But, ultimately, the Pope washed people's feet, regardless of what anyone thinks about it. I'm sure those people will never forget it.

KnightofChrist

Breaking the law is part of Christian tradition. Not the only part, but an important one. But, ultimately, the Pope washed people's feet, regardless of what anyone thinks about it. I'm sure those people will never forget it.

​Unjust laws yes, just laws no. But yes, I'm sure they'll never forget.