An Old School Catholic Message Board

Article I stumbled upon

Mary+Immaculate<3

Mary+Immaculate<3

Perhaps some of you have read this. It was insightful and gave a different perspective to religious life.

AccountDeleted

That's very realistic. I admire the mother for being able to express herself so truthfully. She has courage and faith and a lot of love for her daughter. God bless her.

Wow. What a great article. Particularly this:

Adding to this struggle is the self-imposed pressure to be holy because my daughter is a nun. If she is big enough to give her entire life, how can I be so small?

I would have never thought that a parent experiences that. But I think it's one of the beautiful things about a religious vocation: that the people who know the one entering religious life are forced to question what they are doing with their own lives. If that alone saves one soul, it's all worth it, no?

Thank you for sharing!

faithfulflockstar

This was great! 

I was really saddened to read all the negative comments about religious life though:/

Pray for those who don't understand this beautiful vocation!

TheresaThoma

This a lovely and very heartfelt article. 

I liked the example she gave about her daughter being at the wedding. Beautiful but difficult.

Great. Another article I need to debate whether to show to my mom or not. I showed her the one with the father of a young women who entered the cloister and it didn't go over so well. She cried and was depressed and moody for a while.

Sponsa-Christi

Great. Another article I need to debate whether to show to my mom or not. I showed her the one with the father of a young women who entered the cloister and it didn't go over so well. She cried and was depressed and moody for a while.

​One thought I had, though, is that this community seems a lot more strict than most communities when it comes to relating to family. To me, it actually seemed more strict than even some cloistered communities I know! (For example, I believe the Summit Dominicans allow their professed Sisters to use email.) The Handmaids are also a very new community, so I'm wondering if some of their practices regarding family contact won't be relaxed a little bit as the community matures. 

So my thought would be that this might not be the best article to show to a mom who was having a hard time accepting a daughter's possible religious vocation.

Mary+Immaculate<3

Wow. What a great article. Particularly this:

I would have never thought that a parent experiences that. But I think it's one of the beautiful things about a religious vocation: that the people who know the one entering religious life are forced to question what they are doing with their own lives. If that alone saves one soul, it's all worth it, no?

Thank you for sharing!

​That is very true. One person entering religious life causes a ripple effect on many others. Not only could it save a soul, but spark another vocation. Certainly a woman becoming a sister rocks the world of many, but sometimes we all need a shaking up.

Apparently (I only have secondhand reports) my youth minister is applying for community. It will be interesting to see what follows if she enters...

I was really saddened to read all the negative comments about religious life though:/

​Yes, negative comments are discouraging, but I always try consider that some people simply don't understand and therefore this is our chance as religious life enthusiasts, to witness to them. Keep it positive :)

This a lovely and very heartfelt article. 

I liked the example she gave about her daughter being at the wedding. Beautiful but difficult.

Yes, I really found that part touching, and a concrete example of how transforming the religious life is. Not only does the outfit and daily schedule ​change, but the person who enters the life, paradoxically, becomes more of herself and less of herself. She no longer can chat and hang out with her girlfriends or mom, not that those are bad or opposed to the life of a sister. Rather, she becomes the person for everyone, in every way. Just as someone's relationship with a person changes when they marry and have children, a radical change takes place for sisters. This makes the sister, if she sincerely following God's will, the best and most sincere version of herself.

​One thought I had, though, is that this community seems a lot more strict than most communities when it comes to relating to family. To me, it actually seemed more strict than even some cloistered communities I know! (For example, I believe the Summit Dominicans allow their professed Sisters to use email.) The Handmaids are also a very new community, so I'm wondering if some of their practices regarding family contact won't be relaxed a little bit as the community matures. 

So my thought would be that this might not be the best article to show to a mom who was having a hard time accepting a daughter's possible religious vocation.

​I was not aware of that, but thank you for sharing. I'm not too familiar with the Handmaids, so that is helpful if I decide to share this further.

This topic reminds me of this video from Imagine Sisters as well.