An Old School Catholic Message Board

A.D. The Bible Continues

dUSt

AccountDeleted

I intend to watch it on my laptop, but we are a day ahead of you which means that we have to wait a day before we can actually watch it (I can't watch live but I do usually get NBC programs the next day after they have aired on US TV.

BarbTherese

I intend to watch it on my laptop, but we are a day ahead of you which means that we have to wait a day before we can actually watch it (I can't watch live but I do usually get NBC programs the next day after they have aired on US TV.

​Nunsense, can you give me a link and is it free?  Do I need something special downloaded to my computer (I can watch UTube ok)

faithfulflockstar

I want to! Hopefully I'll have some time with my school schedule; I'm always interested in newer versions of Jesus in media... it also makes me nervous though aha

AccountDeleted

​Nunsense, can you give me a link and is it free?  Do I need something special downloaded to my computer (I can watch UTube ok)

​Well, I haven't actually watched A.D. as it isn't available on their site yet but I am assuming that they will make it available on their website, which I watch all the time for other shows.

Their website is simply http://www.nbc.com 

The info about A.D. is  http://www.nbc.com/ad-the-bible-continues 

PS - I watch two other networks from the US CBS and ABC. CBS has more shows available and sooner than ABC. NBC is good for the NBC Nightly News.

http://www.cbs.com

http://abc.go.com/shows 

CBS has a lot of free programs but they also have a subscription plan called CBS ALL Access for more shows but it is not available in Australia.

ABC takes longer to get the free shows online - first they spend a week on cable network subscription.

NBC is all free I think. I don't pay for any of the services, I just wait til they are free online.

BarbTherese

I want to! Hopefully I'll have some time with my school schedule; I'm always interested in newer versions of Jesus in media... it also makes me nervous though aha

Stayed up past bedtime last night and watched an hour long program on our Australian SBS supposedly investigating why Christianity took off after Jesus was crucified in a quite (for the times) disgraceful death.  It was an interesting perspective, some holes - wouldn't recommend it as a "must see".  These types of shows make me nervous too:............will I or wont I sight the holes if there are any.  Will I or wont I sight the prejudices and bias, if any.

BarbTherese

​Well, I haven't actually watched A.D. as it isn't available on their site yet but I am assuming that they will make it available on their website, which I watch all the time for other shows.

Their website is simply http://www.nbc.com 

The info about A.D. is  http://www.nbc.com/ad-the-bible-continues 

​Thanks, nunsense.  Will keep my eye on the site.

Happy Easter...........and to all!

AccountDeleted

I stopped watching television a long time ago. 

You should, too. 

ALL of you!

​Yes, this is true. I also think we should all give up computers, electricity, phones, cars and anything else that might be a distraction for us.

Said no one ever. :) 

fry-meme-intenet-tv.jpg

BarbTherese

I stopped watching television a long time ago. 

You should, too. 

ALL of you!

​Hi Luigi..........Thank you for the advice and it might apply to many.  For myself, I am very conscious that I am called to secular life in the laity (not monastic nor active religious life, consecrated life) and that modern technology has both a positive and negative potential including that, for me, it can be a relaxation time for body and mind.  I love to read and read much, but it can drain me both physically and mentally.  TV can be a relaxation and a distraction - I do like some of the comedies.  Sometimes it can be informative on subjects on which I feel I should be informed and reflective. Sometimes it is pure escapism and I do not begrudge myself same.

Like all things in life which God has granted us the Grace to create................balance!

BarbTherese

"Sometimes it can be informative on subjects on which I feel I should be informed and reflective. Sometimes it is pure escapism and I do not begrudge myself same."

The above should have read: "Sometimes TV can be informative on subjects on which I feel I should be informed and reflective.  Sometimes TV is pure escapism and I do not begrudge myself same".

I know none of you guys are going to actually give up watching television, but I put the idea out there as at least a possibility.

But personally, I am a television radical - haven't watched it in years.

I watched it and so far, so good. It suffers from the same criticisms I had of their first miniseries, "The Bible", in that it is too theatrical for my liking. Cheesy CGI effects. As far as the story, only the first hour aired last night, but I haven't seen anything heretical yet. I don't think I will, as the producers are a "Devout Catholic & Christian" husband and wife.

AccountDeleted

Ok, just finished episode 1 of A.D. called The Tomb is Open. 

I think the acting is pretty good, the production values good and the writing is good. I know it sounds like faint praise but there were a few things I think could have been improved so that's my rating. I think it's interesting that they don't try to cover everything but just the overall basics. I think that is a wise decision because often a script can get overloaded trying to put in everything from every Gospel, and A.D. didn't try to do that - they took a cross section of all of them, added their artistic license and basically told the story.

So in 43 minutes they went from the Crucifixion to the tomb being opened (but not as far as anyone seeing the Risen Lord) - it held my attention and I wanted more when it was finished. I will continue to watch the episodes each week.

Nihil Obstat

I know none of you guys are going to actually give up watching television, but I put the idea out there as at least a possibility.

But personally, I am a television radical - haven't watched it in years.

​Formula 1 is far too edifying. :|

Sebastian%2BVettel,%2B2015%2BMalaysian%2