An Old School Catholic Message Board

A.D. The Bible Continues

dUSt

So, who is still watching this? I am. It's hard to watch at times-- I hate the way that Saul is portrayed: as a raving lunatic, a buffoonish bully with more brawns than brains. Yes, he was rabid persecutor but  one who was highly educated, intelligent, and eloquent. That side of his personality is almost overlooked entirely, even his interactions with his rabbi, Gamaliel. My #1 beef with last weeks episode.

The thing that most annoys me in the British accents. Why is almost every portrayal of the Bible, it seems, performed in British English?

I don't think Saul was a lunatic. I think he was shown as a zealot filled with hatred, Maybe a little over the top but meh, not worse than the British accents (although Saul is sounding more like a brogue going on)

The thing that most annoys me in the British accents. Why is almost every portrayal of the Bible, it seems, performed in British English?

​Yeah, that's silly.  Everyone knows there were no Brits in the Biblical lands of the first century and earlier.

All the actors should deliver their lines in a good ol' Texas drawl.

Just a plain old standard American accent would be less distracting. I actually liked Mel Gibson's film for using the original language.

Props to you Mel Gibson. Just this once.

I like British accents, but maybe I'm weird (and I haven't watched this particular show, so I don't have anything to say about it in particular).  It's all pretty subjective, and, as no one actually spoke any variety of English in ancient Biblical lands, pretty irrelevant to accuracy or whatever.

I agree, though, the use of using Latin and Aramaic in The Passion was a pretty sweet, and people were telling Mel Gibson that nobody would want to watch it in languages they couldn't understand.  Originally, it was going to be without subtitles, but he gave in on that one,