An Old School Catholic Message Board

Two New Sister Communities in Ohio/Columbia

inperpetuity

inperpetuity

Both are already approved by their bishops.  I'm familiar with the one in the diocese of Youngstown, Ohio.  I'm not sure if the one in Columbia is active or contemplative.

truthfinder

Here's the link from Rorate that covers both, with a link to more information about the one from Ohio http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2015/04/two-new-traditional-catholic.html

Heads up - these are both under the auspices of EF communities - one helped along in some fashion by the FSSP, and the other in Columbia by the Institute of the Good Shepherd which is also a EF priestly association.  I'm happy to see that some new traddy communities might actually take flight; there were woefully few options for women (particularly in the active, and Franciscan direction).

ColOmbia. The country is named ColOmbia.

ColUmbia is the capital of South Carolina, it's a university town in Missouri. But it's not a country.

Vowels make a difference, people!

1. I'm very happy these exist.

2. The image they have on their "Breviary" page is, if I'm not mistaken, of a community that is not in union with the Church. Could someone tell me if I'm mistaken? If I'm not, who wants to tell them that? Cuz I think someone should.

truthfinder

1. I'm very happy these exist.

2. The image they have on their "Breviary" page is, if I'm not mistaken, of a community that is not in union with the Church. Could someone tell me if I'm mistaken? If I'm not, who wants to tell them that? Cuz I think someone should.

​Yes, the image is of a Carmel which is very likely schismatic (it's part of a small breakaway group, whose status is rather up in the air) - but the link to the breviary itself is solid, and which a lot of people use to pray the EF breviary (as long as it's set to "rubrics 1960).

​Yes, the image is of a Carmel which is very likely schismatic (it's part of a small breakaway group, whose status is rather up in the air) - but the link to the breviary itself is solid, and which a lot of people use to pray the EF breviary (as long as it's set to "rubrics 1960).

​So do you think we should notify them? Since they're a Traditional Latin Mass group, I worry someone might see that image, recognize the schismatic community, and run screaming from the Ohio sisters.

truthfinder

​So do you think we should notify them? Since they're a Traditional Latin Mass group, I worry someone might see that image, recognize the schismatic community, and run screaming from the Ohio sisters.

​Meh.  It's an incredibly popular picture, but at the same time, I think only people who have seriously looked into Carmels (or who dwell on here long enough) know its status just from a picture.  Meh, and Meh again. - Hopefully one day they'll put up a picture of their own community instead.  

AccountDeleted

​Meh.  It's an incredibly popular picture, but at the same time, I think only people who have seriously looked into Carmels (or who dwell on here long enough) know its status just from a picture.  Meh, and Meh again. - Hopefully one day they'll put up a picture of their own community instead.  

​Especially since they are Franciscans, not Carmelites. I don't think anyone would really confuse them. It is just a picture of nuns in choir. They probably Googled nuns images and they happened to like this one better than any others. :) 

truthfinder

​Especially since they are Franciscans, not Carmelites. I don't think anyone would really confuse them. It is just a picture of nuns in choir. They probably Googled nuns images and they happened to like this one better than any others. :) 

​all this ^! said in a more concise way than I ever could :like2:

inperpetuity

Here's the link from Rorate that covers both, with a link to more information about the one from Ohio http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2015/04/two-new-traditional-catholic.html

Heads up - these are both under the auspices of EF communities - one helped along in some fashion by the FSSP, and the other in Columbia by the Institute of the Good Shepherd which is also a EF priestly association.  I'm happy to see that some new traddy communities might actually take flight; there were woefully few options for women (particularly in the active, and Franciscan direction).

​Thanks for posting the link, Truthfinder, lol.

inperpetuity

ColOmbia. The country is named ColOmbia.

ColUmbia is the capital of South Carolina, it's a university town in Missouri. But it's not a country.

Vowels make a difference, people!

​Sorry for the typo, Luigi, didn't mean to offend anyone.  I assume you are addressing me since I made the mistake.

​Sorry for the typo, Luigi, didn't mean to offend anyone.  I assume you are addressing me since I made the mistake.

​I'm sure it's the least of all possible errors on Phatmass, but I'm a word nerd! I can't help it! I used to teach English.

And Lord knows I make my fir share of typos!

Edited by Luigi