An Old School Catholic Message Board

Guardian Angels, Human Souls, Birth & Death.

White Knight

White Knight

Hello I have been wondering for awhile now about the role Guardian angels play for human souls who die, and human souls who are conceived or born into this world.

If a soul dies in the state of sanctifying grace, all though they have not fully been made perfect, they go to purgatory, then heaven, where you will see your guardian angel in Heaven, along with all the other blessed figures in paradise.

If a person dies unrepentant and persistent in their sin dying in the state of mortal sin, they go directly to Hell, do their guardian angels get reassigned to souls who are about to be born?

I find it hard to believe a guardian angel of a particular damned soul would be in hell with that person I just don't believe that.

Also the babies who are born into this world, since they are matter and spirit, are given a guardian angel either at their natural birth or their rebirth in their baptism since all babies are born in the sin of Adam in the Original Sin state, do the babies get their guardian angels at their natural birth, or their baptism, and can they get a angel that previously had a "failed" assignment in guarding/leading a soul who didn't accept God's grace and went to Hell?

Guardian angels who help certain souls who get to heaven, rather directly or through purification eventually those souls get to meet their guardian angels in the presence of God in the Beatific Vision, where these guardian angels have successfully aided someone to their eternal destination in Heaven, there will be endless joy I'm sure.

Will there be a severe Judgment on the guardians angels who fail their assignments to get  souls to Jesus  in the General Judgment?

Scripture does say the Angels will be judged....

1st Corinthians 6:1-5

• "Dare any of you, having a matter against another, go to law before the unjust, and not before the saints?
  • Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters?
  • Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?
  • If then ye have judgments of things pertaining to this life, set them to judge who are least esteemed in the church.
  • I speak to your shame. Is it so, that there is not a wise man among you? no, not one that shall be able to judge between his brethren

Thanks for reading.

God Bless You
    White Knight

• 3 weeks later...
MarysLittleFlower

Hi, according to what I read, if a person goes to Heaven, the Angel receives joy from that and joins them in praising God. If the person goes to hell the Angel goes to Heaven to worship God with the other Angels. Hope that helps! As for when babies receive a Guardian Angel, I actually can't figure out what the Church teaching on that is. Maybe someone else knows.. I've read different things.

Guardian angels are not ultimately responsible for a person's soul. The person has individual free will. One can choose to cooperate with the guardian angel or not, just as one can hear and accept the Word of God or not, accept and follow the Ten Commandments or not, and so on.

I'm not sure where the limits of a guardian angel's job description are, but your guardian angel doesn't trump or control your own free will.

There is very little clear evidence about angels. The vast majority of "angel talk" is theological speculation.

truthfinder

Fr. Paul O'Sullivan had theorized that the child receives a guardian angel upon being born.  It's been a long while, but I believe his theory was that the child, while being ensouled, is still physically protected by the mother, and thus her guardian angel.  He had an entire little book on guardian angels (written from the early 1930s, iirc). 

MarysLittleFlower

Fr. Paul O'Sullivan had theorized that the child receives a guardian angel upon being born.  It's been a long while, but I believe his theory was that the child, while being ensouled, is still physically protected by the mother, and thus her guardian angel.  He had an entire little book on guardian angels (written from the early 1930s, iirc). 

I have that book and its great :) its called All About the Angels and its published by TAN. Yes I think he did say that an unborn baby is protected by the mother's guardian Angel.