An Old School Catholic Message Board

Are Liberal Arts Degrees Worth It?

PhuturePriest

Are liberal arts degrees worth it despite the cost?  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nihil Obstat

I might be in a different kind of situation, but I have only ever had a couple professors who cared about citation style. I generally just wing it with something resembling APA. :hehe: 

Nihil Obstat

My citations would probably give you a stroke. :evil: 

In text: (Human Development Report 2014, United Nations Development Programme)

In reference listHuman Development Report 2014

, United Nations Development Programme

Nihil Obstat

Earlier this week I was using footnotes instead of in text citations with a bibliography. Made up the format of the footnotes as I went.

[1] Alberta Energy, “Facts and Statistics.” http://www.energy.alberta.ca/oilsands/791.asp

[1] Beine, Bos, Coulombe, “Does the Canadian economy suffer from Dutch Disease?”

[1] Chambers, Gordon, “Primary Products and Economic Growth: An Empirical Measurement.”

truthfinder

Well I'd be fine with the first one. But the other two: are they articles, books, who's the publisher, etc.? 

Nihil Obstat

Well I'd be fine with the first one. But the other two: are they articles, books, who's the publisher, etc.? 

​One is a journal article and the other is, I believe, a chapter from a larger book.

But since the professor does not seem to care, neither do I. :|

(That is why I could never go to grad school.)

truthfinder

​One is a journal article and the other is, I believe, a chapter from a larger book.

But since the professor does not seem to care, neither do I. :|

(That is why I could never go to grad school.)

I learnt the proper citation years ago and for the last while have just been working on memory. Although, I have been introduced to a great tool called Zotero which will help you create a database of sources and can even do your citations directly in Word if you get the plugin. So useful, and can do bibliographies so quickly in pretty much whatever format is needed. I haven't written my own citations all year (although I do fix some of the auto generated issues such as excessive all caps. )

HopefulHeart

Every single one of you needs to visit the Purdue Online Writing Lab, the world's best free resource for writing "in style" (Chicago, MLA, APA, etc.).

Go. Now.

https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/

​Yes, that's an excellent resource! I recommended it to a classmate just last week.

Edited by HopefulHeart