An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sex in Heaven?

Credo in Deum

I'm not hard pressed on it. I just think when one makes definitive statements that there will be nothing similar to sex or attractions in heaven they might be wrong. God made women realllllllyyyyyy beautiful and I can only imagine what they will look like in glorified perfect resurrected bodies. You guys think I will lose all sense of attraction for them in Heaven. I hope I don't. Obviously there would be nothing sinful about it in Heaven if attractions still remained. On the other hand perhaps God made humans ridiculously attractive in this life but in the next life it will cease. I hope it doesn't. Whatever. Anyhow I'm done. God bless everybody I love you all. Good day.

You may be done but that doesn't explain or answer my question.  If you're not hard pressed then you clearly are showing that the issue of sex in heaven is important to you by raising the question and trying to defend your position. I'm just trying to find out why sex in heaven is important at all?   So far you have only been able to reflect that your position on the importance of sex in heaven is, well, frankly I don't know.  It's almost seems like you have the perspective that sex is the pinnacle of actions for mankind and that you are somehow amazed that glorified mankind wouldn't be engaging in this same act in heaven? 

Edited by Credo in Deum

You're obviously not reading my replies. It goes well beyond "sex in Heaven". If you can't see that I don't know what to tell you. Peace.

Edited by Guest

Credo in Deum

You're obviously not reading me replies. It goes well beyond "sex". If you can't see that I don't know what to tell you. Peace.

Well so far In your replies you've taked about attraction to gender, beauty, and now personalities.  Which I thank you because that does help.  My next question is what do you think the relationship between humans will be like in heaven and does the type of relationship you have with a female matter to you when it comes to sex and the desire to have sex?  And when I say relationship I mean, stranger, acquaintance, friend, and family.  

Edited by Credo in Deum

Lastly, which should be first, God is ETERNAL! He is so amazing sex won't even be on our minds.  I don't understand why this is so hard for people to cope with?  Is it because our society is so hyper-sexualized? 

​I don't think it's hyper-sexualisation, necessarily. Sex is one of the most intimate and deeply personal things we have on earth, so when people try to imagine love and intimacy in heaven they think of sex - look at how the writer of the Song of Solomon uses sexual imagery as an allegory for the love of God. There is Catholic mystical poetry that is similar (St John of the Cross's Spiritual Canticle contains echoes of the Song of Songs). People are using what we do know to make sense of what we can't know.

It may also be a way to make heaven seem less remote and daunting. I'm in a secular institute and we make vows of celibacy, so "Will there be sex in heaven?" has never been a question that's been uppermost in my mind, but I do sometimes feel a bit scared of heaven precisely because I can't imagine what it'll be like. Something that is beyond our imagination can be alarming, even if we know objectively that it's good. So I just keep reminding myself that it's my home, and once I get there I will know it - for now there is no point in speculating on what it looks like, we're here on earth now, and we'll find out soon enough.

Well so far In your replies you've taked about attraction to gender, beauty, and now personalities.  Which I thank you because that does help.  My next question is what do you think the relationship between humans will be like in heaven and does the type of relationship you have with a female matter to you when it comes to sex and the desire to have sex?  And when I say relationship I mean, stranger, acquaintance, friend, and family.  

Well if only a handful of the best Catholics make it into heaven and everyone else goes to hell then maybe everyone will be like 1st cousins and siblings in Heaven. Maybe there will be no physical human beauty and attractions. On the other hand if a good chunk of the billions of people who ever lived miraculously slip into purgatory and eventually make it to heaven then maybe everyone won't feel like first cousins and siblings there. Maybe in our glorified perfect bodies in the everlasting time of eternity through the Glory of God we will be permitted to have friendships. Perhaps in these friendships physical and emotional attractions will be permitted. Again we will have all of eternity and plenty of time. #1 will always be loving God and worshiping Him in everything we do. And that will be great. I can't wait nor can I imagine what it will be like if I make it to purgatory then Heaven. But since eternity is forever perhaps as I was saying friendship's will happen and something that is HOLY and Pure will be allowed to take place. And it will be all to the Glory of God. Fingers crossed. If not Heaven will still be great. God is good.

Nihil Obstat

I certainly agree that our glorified bodies in heaven will be beautiful - more beautiful than anyone on earth. I also agree that we will recognize this beauty. However, it becomes a question of how and why we recognize the beauty of our brothers and sisters of the Church Triumphant. Will it be a sexual attraction? I do not think so. Sexuality is absolutely an objective good. But as I said, it has a purpose, and that purpose is fulfilled in heaven. Sexuality per se is no longer necessary, and will in a sense pass away. Just as those in heaven no longer have the theological virtues of faith and hope (though charity, the greatest of these remains), because those virtues are no longer necessary when we have attained our salvation. My priest once, being a bit glib, said that the Church Triumphant is both faithless and hopeless. :hehe: But it is true. They see God face to face, so they need neither virtue.

So if sexuality passes away as being no longer necessary, in what sense do we recognize the inherent beauty of our souls and our glorified bodies? I think that such beauty, while very much tied to sexuality here on earth, is actually a separate reality. Something is beautiful inasmuch as it more clearly reflects God's creative power. A person is beautiful in a true sense when one sees the image of God in her, an icon of His love for us, and a tangible link to our final destiny. In that sense I think that the Blessed Virgin must be the most beautiful person who ever lived, besides Christ of course.

When we are glorified, the harm and darkness of this world can no longer obscure that reflection of God's glory. So we will see each other clearly, in all our greatness, when the light of union with God burns away every other consideration. But our recognition of that beauty cannot be desire, because we cannot desire anything anymore. What more could we want? It would be a pure recognition, like our contemplation of God, that praises God for His work. So it is not that we no longer see or appreciate beauty. Rather, we appreciate it in the purest possible way, which is pure worship of God for His perfection, which we will perfectly reflect.

truthfinder

My priest once, being a bit glib, said that the Church Triumphant is both faithless and hopeless. :hehe: But it is true. They see God face to face, so they need neither virtue.

​And the other one argued that God made sex pleasurable so that people would actually reproduce.  Sexual desire is one of our "baser" passions and thus I can't imagine it being in Heaven where not only will we have glorified bodies but also no inclination to fleshly desires (this would go for eating in Heaven or having pets too).  I don't mean to sound snarky, but Josh, you sound a bit obsessed with sex (with all the finger crossing and all). 

Yes I think sex is amesome. Haven't had it it in over 5 years but I know how GREAT it is. Hate me for it don't really care. We will be able to eat and drink in our glorified bodies. Actually the Bible speaks of the many pleasures we will experience. So yes my fingers will remain crossed. You can hope for the opposite. 

Heaven will be for eternity. I don't view it as a constant overload of jaws dropped in awe not being able to move mesmerized by God the whole time. Jesus said he would drink wine again with his disciples. I envision a new heaven and new earth where at times some chilling will be going on. It doesn't have to be 100 % intense for every moment of eternity. I hope physical and emotional attractions and connections will remain. That's just me.

Edited by Guest

Heaven as a big orgy with Jesus taking part?  I'm pretty sure that idea would get you burned at the stake in a few places.  They don't teach that in my seminary, but maybe you should check out the Anglicans.  I hear they're a rowdy bunch. 

PhuturePriest

Josh, the issue you have is that your vision of heaven is Islam's vision of paradise: Unlimited fleshly desires, namely food, drink, and most importantly, sex. This has never been the Catholic/Christian understanding of heaven, and hoping for such a thing is indicative of a very immature understanding of heaven and just what it is.

BarbTherese

We cannot even remotely approach what Heaven is all about - it is absolutely, totally and utterly, impossible!

1 Corinthians Ch2 : "But, as it is written: That eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither hath it entered into the heart of man, what things God hath prepared for them that love him."

Nihil Obstat

We cannot even remotely approach what Heaven is all about - it is absolutely, totally and utterly, impossible!

1 Corinthians Ch2 : "But, as it is written: That eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither hath it entered into the heart of man, what things God hath prepared for them that love him."

Well... there are things we do know about heaven.

Nihil Obstat

Heaven as a big orgy with Jesus taking part?  I'm pretty sure that idea would get you burned at the stake in a few places.  They don't teach that in my seminary, but maybe you should check out the Anglicans.  I hear they're a rowdy bunch. 

Chris West might be into that...