An Old School Catholic Message Board

Some questions about spiritual direction - those who are ordained/consecrated/seriously discerning/candidates

oremus1

Sponsa-Christi

​All priests seem good and holy and trustworthy at first. it is only when something bad happens that you realise one is not.

Because of the gravity of the sensitivity of the internal forum I am shocked by sponsa saying that it s not protected at all outside of confession. she may be right. but I am still shocked.

​There are SOME canonical protections for SD confidentiality. (For example, an ecclesiastical superior can't demand a manifestation of conscience from his subjects,  a seminary SD can't comment on a seminarian's suitability for Orders, etc.) It's just that there's no specific penalty attached to a breach of SD confidentiality in exactly the same way as their is a penalty for breaking the seal of the confessional. But even though there isn't a specific SD confidentiality breach penalty per se,  this doesn't mean that an SD who abused their authority couldn't be punished for this on other, more general grounds (i.e., general grounds which could encompass an abuse of SD). 

I know all priests seem trustworthy at first, but the trust you have with an SD is on a different level from the trust you would have in an ordinary priest. 

Also, if you're really this concerned with SD confidentiality, you could seek SD from a priest, combine it with confession, and then only discuss your inner life under the seal. To put your mind more at ease, you might also feel better if you seek out an SD who has no connections to your diocese/any religious communities you're discerning with.