An Old School Catholic Message Board

Support Archbishop Cordileone

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

https://www.lifesitenews.com/petitions/i-stand-with-archbishop-cordileone/546575

A petition has been made to try and get 100,000 signatures to send to Pope Francis in support of Archbishop Cordileone in retaliation to the dissident newspaper article in San Francisco that was made asking Pope Francis to remove the Archbishop for "not having the same morals" as the people of San Francisco.

veritasluxmea

I like this priest's response to it. 

There is a group of Catholics in San Francisco who have taken out a full page ad which asks Pope Francis to fire their Archbishop, Salvatore Cordileone.

Regardless of the fact that no one reads the San Francisco Chronicle, and most could care less about the ads in that paper anyway, I find that taking out ads against one’s bishop in the local newspaper to be despicable on many levels:

–it is cowardly

–it is defamatory

–it is unkind, unchristian, and mean spirited

–it shows immaturity, selfishness, and childish behavior

–it is a crass and vulgar display of unchecked privilege

–it gives the impression that if certain Catholics have money, power, education, and political influence, they can somehow speak for the rest of the faith community

–it is unchurchy, anti-churchy, and devoid of all signs of “being church”

Even if I hate my father or mother, or neighbor or coworker, I am not going to go to the press and air their dirty laundry, their faults, their mistakes, or whatever it is that I dislike about them.

Even if I hate my bishop or archbishop, and feel he should be fired, I would rather confront him to his face, person to person. Accusing him and sentencing him as guilty in a newspaper is not due process of law; it is not giving him a chance to respond to me and face me, his accuser.

Both Jesus and St. Paul gave us a process for facing our enemies in the Church. Dragging their name through a public forum in a way that embarrasses them is NOT JUSTICE but showmanship and public scare tactics to bully a bishop and somehow hound him out of office.

Finally, the patent hypocrisy is not lost on us. When a more liberal Catholic is publicly humiliated in the traditional Catholic press or vlogs, there is great outcry that this is “foul” and a “character assassination.” But when a more conservative bishop is treated this way, it is somehow the “voice of the faithful.” Really? Seriously? Who believes that?

Good Game, Amchurch, liberal-church, church-of-inclusion and diversity, dissent church, church of social justice–good game. You have shown your colors. Tolerance is only for your benefit–God help those bishops who disagree with your agenda. You take your cues more from Saul Alinsky than you do from Jesus Christ, and no one is being fooled. (via DOMINUS PARS HÆREDITATIS MEÆ)

Amen to the bolded.  

Is anyone in the SF area? I'd like a local opinion on this. Not that I doubt he's being wrongfully slammed. I just suspect it may be more complex than is being presented nationally.

maybe I'm a bad Christian but I have little sympathy for ceo's (there's about 5 or so listed in the signed) whinging about how they want a leader with "their values" wah wah wah. One should conform oneself to the church. For most it is not easy. There are many teachings I have struggled to accept and sort of still struggle with but alas I am just a finite person.

These people want the church to change but don't even understand what the church is because it is NOT democratic society.

veritasluxmea

He wrote a follow-up. I'm dying:

If I may give a correction, first, to your question. Archbishop Cordileone did not spark “outrage amongst Catholics” in San Francisco. 

There are thousands upon thousands of loyal, faith-filled Catholics in the San Francisco archdiocese. I know that because I studied in the archdiocesan seminary for San Francisco 30 years ago. 

Out of those thousands and thousands, there were just 100 beeshy, whiny, bitter and nasty people who took out an ad against the archbishop. 

And make no mistake. They were not “normal” Catholic people, but people who had the prestige, political connections, and disposable income for a full page ad in the San Francisco Chronicle–at least tens of thousands of dollars.

What angered some well to do, Catholic fatcats? Your guess is as good as mine. The archbishop could have preached a sermon on how money and power makes you privileged, haughty, and full of yourself, and that alone could have put their underpants into a twisted knot. 

Or the archbishop could have said things like gay marriage is a sin, abortion kills a human being, that priests take a vow of obedience to the Catholic Church, or that Jesus Christ actually rose from the dead and the resurrection is not a fairy tale–you know, really shocking and earth shattering things that a Catholic bishop is not supposed to say too often.

There is a lot of rage also because the archbishop had a meeting with Catholic teachers, teaching in Catholic schools, where he had the nerve and the gall to tell them that they should profess and live Catholic morals in order to set a Catholic example. That alone makes him the enemy of “tolerance, diversity, and inclusion.” 

In other words, the archbishop is not watered down enough. The modern Catholics, you know, are trying to “Sing a New Religion” into existence and Cordileone has been far too old fashioned for their tastes. Therefore, he has been sentenced for the capital crime of being too Catholic, and taking religion way too seriously.

In San Francisco, they want their archbishop to act like a hipster Anglican.

As a teacher in a Catholic school I will say that I think the Archbishop's approach to the school issue has perhaps been a little unrealistic and heavy handed. There simply aren't that many people who agree 100% with the Church's teachings, let alone people who agree 100% with the Church's teaching AND have a teaching degree. While it might be nice to imagine a world where every Catholic school teacher is a devout, practising and faithful Catholic that's simply not possible in most dioceses. The best a lot of schools can hope for is a core group of devout teachers and that the others will respectfully disagree and not say anything to the students. Schools also have to take other things into consideration when employing teachers. Will a principal prefer someone who is a Mass going Catholic but a terrible teacher, or someone who is a cultural Catholic but a great educator? Probably the latter.

A good attempt at ensuring the Catholic identity of the school, but simply unrealistic. Any efforts are going to have to be slow and steady. 

However, obviously the archbishop's intentions were good and this commercial in the newspaper is ridiculous and mean spirited. 

Edited by Aragon

This story (link below) indicates that, in 2011, a full-page ad in the San Francisco Chronicle cost $8,500. I don't know if that was a daily edition or a weekend edition - I'd think a weekend end edition would cost more than a daily edition. 

And I'd guess the rates have gone up in the last four years. 

But in any case, it's probably a decent ballpark figure for the cost of the ad about Cardinal Cordileone. 

https://turnstylenews.com/2011/12/06/99-percent-san-francisco-chronicle-ad/ 

maybe I'm a bad Christian but I have little sympathy for ceo's (there's about 5 or so listed in the signed) whinging about how they want a leader with "their values" wah wah wah. One should conform oneself to the church. For most it is not easy. There are many teachings I have struggled to accept and sort of still struggle with but alas I am just a finite person.

These people want the church to change but don't even understand what the church is because it is NOT democratic society.

​Especially considering the fact that many CEO's have no problem working with totalitarian governments, e.g. in China.