An Old School Catholic Message Board

OF vs EF Divine Office?

oremus1

EF office is much longer, in Latin, is 8 times a day, and cycles through all 150 psalms in one week

OF office is much shorter, in the vernacular, 5 times a day and cycles through the 150 psalms in one month (prime was abolished and only one of the daytime hours is required)

Why would people who are obliged to say the office but have a choice of which form, choose the EF office? Or active people who want to say the whole office
For example, priests who say the NO mass, or CVs or members of SI who have a choice.

Are there any extra graces for saying the EF office?

And if a priest says the EF office but attends  Vespers with the NO, does that fulfil his obligation? Universae Ecclesiae says the EF breviary must be said in its entirety. so that would seem no.

puellapaschalis

Less is not always more. Some choose the prayer that takes up more of their day (and night). Often people say they are 'too busy' for something like the old books, but all that time they supposedly don't have is in fact wittered away with useless stuff.

There's something to be said for doing things the way things were done for a long time.

The 'OF office' (I think the term Liturgia Horarium - Liturgy of the Hours - is used) can be said in Latin.

truthfinder

When I pray the Office, I prefer to do so in the EF form.  The calendar obviously meshes with the EF mass (which I pretty well exclusively attend).  Therefore, when things like Ember days occur, that matches up.  Also, I much prefer Compline in the EF form because of the final prayer which asks the angel to bless the house.  This same prayer does occur in the OF form, but only on second compline of a feast not on a sunday (therefore is relatively rare).  This prayer has been a great blessing.  

There are also the hymns which are so poetic in Latin, and just other little things that make it the office of preference. 

In the OF office, though, there is 7 hours, although the obligation might be less.

I think that many people (particularly religious orders who consciously choose the EF form) feel that praying the EF form of the LoH unites them with the saints of all ages who prayed that form. Recall that, to many of the saints in heaven, the OF form of the LoH would be unrecognizable.

Edited by Gabriela

since it is much longer, uses more psalms per week, and is harder since it must be said in latin, does that mean it will give more graces?

When I pray the Office, I prefer to do so in the EF form.  The calendar obviously meshes with the EF mass (which I pretty well exclusively attend).  Therefore, when things like Ember days occur, that matches up.  Also, I much prefer Compline in the EF form because of the final prayer which asks the angel to bless the house.  This same prayer does occur in the OF form, but only on second compline of a feast not on a sunday (therefore is relatively rare).  This prayer has been a great blessing.

There are also the hymns which are so poetic in Latin, and just other little things that make it the office of preference.

In the OF office, though, there is 7 hours, although the obligation might be less.

i am not bothered with the calendars because i go to NO daily mass  as we have no EF daily mass. as NO mass is in the vernacular so i just follow what they say. but inwardly i follow the EF calendar

But the EF office is twice as long and not at all equivalent to the NO office. it is a lot for a priest or active person to say all. so while the person might like the EF it is far easier just to go OF

Credo in Deum

I have recently got the Baronius Press EF breviary.  I must say it is a lot to take in, but I still prefer it to the OF.  Not that the OF isn't good.  I just feel more drawn to the EF and the way it encompasses your entire day.  The verse "pray always and never cease" comes to mind.  At times I find myself complaining that I don't have enough time, but when I analyze my day and how much time I spend on here or doing other things, I find I have tons of time.

Edited by Credo in Deum

The Historian

EF office is much longer, in Latin, is 8 times a day, and cycles through all 150 psalms in one week

​It's not really all that much longer.  Latin remains the liturgical language of the western Church, with much of the beautiful hymns and antiphons losing a lot in translation (speaking of which, you don't have to trouble yourself with the multiple translations of the Psalms, you've only got two choices in Latin, Vulgate or Pian, and no one uses the Pian).  And someone once crunched the math and in the 1962 calendar you'll only say 150 Psalms 8 weeks out of the year.  Only the Benedictine Psalter will get you 150 Psalms a week.  It was possibly the most atrocious act of liturgical vandalism in our history when the Benedictine Psalter was scrapped.

BarbTherese

since it is much longer, uses more psalms per week, and is harder since it must be said in latin, does that mean it will give more graces?

To my mind -

​I think Grace bestowed would depend on personal disposition and why and how one prays, rather than what one prays.

MarysLittleFlower

OF office is much shorter, in the vernacular, 5 times a day and cycles through the 150 psalms in one month (prime was abolished and only one of the daytime hours is required)

Why would people who are obliged to say the office but have a choice of which form, choose the EF office? Or active people who want to say the whole office
For example, priests who say the NO mass, or CVs or members of SI who have a choice.

Are there any extra graces for saying the EF office?

And if a priest says the EF office but attends  Vespers with the NO, does that fulfil his obligation? Universae Ecclesiae says the EF breviary must be said in its entirety. so that would seem no.

I think I'd prefer the EF because I attend the Latin Mass so its not something unnatural now to use Latin and the extra prayers are beautiful :)

Sr Mary Catharine OP

The Divine Office has gone through many and varied changes over the centuries, much more than did the Mass. St. Pius X made huge and radical changes to the Divine Office which is the version that most today consider the old Office. I don't think you can really say the EF of the Office!

The traditional office hymns went through huge changes in, I think, the 1500', by Pope Urban VII. The Dominicans resisted and used the older form. Here at Summit when we sue the traditional office hymns whether in Latin or English (we do both) we use the older versions. They are quite different. Pius X also made textual changes.

Not only that there is the monastic office, the Eastern office, the cathedral office, the offices of the various Orders, etc.

Having sung both I would say that the current Roman breviary is demanding in it's own way. It's one thing to pray the Office on one's own and another thing to be deputed to pray it day after day.

The nuns who prayed the old office say that it was very difficult. Don't forget, one was required by canon law and pain of mortal sin to say every word with one's lips.

Before Vatican II it was not unusual for a community to bunch the hours together to give them more time for work, etc. The day was not really being sanctified as was intended by praying the Office. The little hours were mushed together in the AM. LAUDS was prayed with Matins at 12:30 AM. VESPERS was prayed at 2PM because and during the fast at 11AM! Compline at 4 or 5PM!

And the answer to the question about more grace because the the old office is harder and more psalms is no! As St. Thomas says, "Quidquid recipitur secundum modum recipientis recipitur." And for those of you who say the Office in Latin I'll let you translate this principle! :-)

As St. Thomas says, "Quidquid recipitur secundum modum recipientis recipitur." And for those of you who say the Office in Latin I'll let you translate this principle! :-)

​I don't pray the Office in Latin, but I've got Google: "Whatever is received is received according to the mode of the receiver".

;)

Great post, Sister!

I think I'd prefer the EF because I attend the Latin Mass so its not something unnatural now to use Latin and the extra prayers are beautiful :)

​That is true, but I am not talking about people praying parts of the office some of the time because of personal devotion. I am talking about people obliged to pray all of the office every day.

so while the EF office is more beautiful, and indeed I also sometimes attend the EF mass, the level of latin comprehension required for the breviary is significant. and while there are bilingual breviaries, saying matins in one language alone takes about an hour, let alone once in each language (the obligation can only be fulfilled in latin if you use the EF)

Having sung both I would say that the current Roman breviary is demanding in it's own way. It's one thing to pray the Office on one's own and another thing to be deputed to pray it day after day.

The nuns who prayed the old office say that it was very difficult. Don't forget, one was required by canon law and pain of mortal sin to say every word with one's lips.

Before Vatican II it was not unusual for a community to bunch the hours together to give them more time for work, etc. The day was not really being sanctified as was intended by praying the Office. The little hours were mushed together in the AM. LAUDS was prayed with Matins at 12:30 AM. VESPERS was prayed at 2PM because and during the fast at 11AM! Compline at 4 or 5PM!

And the answer to the question about more grace because the the old office is harder and more psalms is no! As St. Thomas says, "Quidquid recipitur secundum modum recipientis recipitur." And for those of you who say the Office in Latin I'll let you translate this principle! :-)

​ Your first point really hits the nail on the head for me, and that is a point that most people on this thread do not understand.

being required to say the breviary in its entirety every day is hard. it is different to a layperson choosing to do so out of private devotion. or a layperson saying parts of it only sometimes.

so even though one might prefer the beauty the much longer, latin EF breviary, it is much more convenient and easier to say the OF one.

I also bunch the hours together for the EF one. I don't think this is a cause for scandal and many non-monastic priests do this also

but somehow I think the additional discipline and time and effort of saying the EF breviary must surely merit something. The two breviaries are very different and not really comparable

• Credo in Deum locked this topic