An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is it customary to have a profession card made??

Hislittlelamb

Hislittlelamb

Is it customary/appropriate for a religious sister to have a "final profession" holy card made for her special day? or is this only appropriate for those entering the Holy Priesthood? 

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Sure is! We have a card for both our 1st and solemn profession. And now I'm starting to think of what to have for my silver jubilee! :-)

NadaTeTurbe

I loooooooooooove cards ! 

I wish the website of religious community would post the card of the members. 

TheresaThoma

I have received a couple profession cards from Sisters and it is so lovely to see what they choose. and also a great way to remember to pray for them. (I kind of think of them as "wedding favors").

veritasluxmea

Yes, as far as I know it's customary for sisters- even cloistered Carmelite sisters. I have one from the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal that I love. 

Swami Mommy

What does a card look like?  Does it have a picture of a saint and a quote, like a funeral card?

NadaTeTurbe

There's a picture - a saint, an image, a pictures, etc... and a quote (from the Bible, the Saint, the Foundress), then the name of the sister and the date. 

MarysLittleFlower

Is it customary/appropriate for a religious sister to have a "final profession" holy card made for her special day? or is this only appropriate for those entering the Holy Priesthood? 

That's so neat :) I have a couple from priests and it was interesting to see what pictures and quotes they chose

Sure is! We have a card for both our 1st and solemn profession. And now I'm starting to think of what to have for my silver jubilee! :-)

Something to match your crown of flowers ;)

Sr Mary Catharine OP

We don't get flowers! :( We get a silver crown for silver jubilee and a gold crown for golden jubilee. The crowns are quite old. I have no idea where they got them from but I'm sure that they were not made for real heads!

I've left enough hints for flowers, though!

IgnatiusofLoyola

We don't get flowers! :( We get a silver crown for silver jubilee and a gold crown for golden jubilee. The crowns are quite old. I have no idea where they got them from but I'm sure that they were not made for real heads!

I've left enough hints for flowers, though!

​With the new "bluebirds" under your wing you could always tell them that one of their tasks for your silver jubilee is to make you a crown of flowers! :flowers:

Yes, I'm kidding, of course. You would never do that. However, since you are the master cake baker/decorator in your Community, are you going to have to bake your own Jubilee cake? :cake:

Mary+Immaculate<3

Go Here and click vocations and click on vows and watch Sr.Maria's profession there is one on there.

​I like that video :)

It's cool that her novice habit serves as her "wedding dress" because it's all white, and her veil. And when she comes back clothed differently and puts on a ring, it shows her marriage to Christ visibly.

Also, do sisters who have profession cards ever have their patron saint (name) on their card? Do sisters choose what's on their card or does the superior? I'm guessing it depends on the community, but what have your experiences been?

Edited by Mary+Immaculate<3