An Old School Catholic Message Board

Lockport OP NUNS

John Paul

IgnatiusofLoyola

what is their daily schedule ?Just wondering.Thats All though

​I don't remember any conversations on Vocation Station about the Lockport Dominicans, so I'm not sure there is anyone here who can answer your question off the top of their head.

Most Communities have a Web site, so why don't you see if you can find the answer to your question yourself before you take someone else's time? Most Communities with Web sites include their daily horarium on the site. In fact, I'd recommend checking Web sites of Communities or Orders on the Internet before you post questions like this on VS. We have a few VS members who are Carmelite experts, and many VS members may know a great deal about one or two specific Communities. But, even if a person knows a Community well, they probably don't know the Community's horarium off the top of their head.

Then, after you have found all the information you can about a Community or an Order on the Internet, then bring any additional questions here to VS.

I'm passing this along because you can't be expected to know the "customs" of VS. Virtually all VS members have full-time jobs or are full-time students, so we try not to ask questions where the answers can be found on a Community's Web site or elsewhere. We also have a few full-time religious who post on VS, but only a handful. Obviously, they are incredibly busy, too, so we try to use their time for questions where we need their personal experience, and try to use them for questions where the answer would not be available elsewhere.

Many of your questions seem to be about the horarium or schedule of a Community. I would think that the most important information about a Community would not be their schedule, but their charism, and including whether they are cloistered or active. A Community's horarium tends to follow naturally from their charism  and is probably not the most important factor in discernment, particularly for someone like you who is still years away from being able to actively discern with a Community. This is the time of your life when you should be focusing learning about yourself, your relationship with God, and your relationship with other people, and perhaps not focusing so much on specific Communities yet. You are going to change a LOT in the next few years! (You'll be surprised!) After you have gotten to know yourself better and gotten more of a feeling what you feel God is calling you to do, then you can focus on the specific Communities that best fit this

You said once that you liked "strict" Communities, but regardless of the horarium, religious life is VERY hard. Just because the horarium of one Community appears more outwardly "strict," that does not meant that life in that Community is any harder (or more holy) than other Communities with a diferent horarium. Religious life is not a "race" or a competition. A person is not more holy based on what time they get up in the morning--a person is holy based on how obedient they are to God's will for them--WHATEVER that will is.

puellapaschalis

A former VSer entered Lockport some years ago. They used to have a website, but as I understand, no longer do. Their address is discoverable; you could write and ask.

JessicaKoch

I can tell you that they are a very small but growing community.

They have the Traditional Latin Mass and all their "hours" are said in Latin.

You can contact them though "snail mail"

Dominican Nuns

155 Church Street

Lockport, LA. 70374

IgnatiusofLoyola

There was a thread about the Lockport Dominicans from 5 years ago:

http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/102215-lockport-dominican-nuns/?page=1  (odd to see how many of those members are now in religious life, and how many others have left over the years).

It might have the answer to your horarium question.

​I stand corrected. Now that you mention it, I DO remember the conversations about the Lockport Dominicans. You have a good memory. Now that I've seen your post, I remember the Community, but I didn't remember the name. :paperbag:

BTW--I still stand by my suggestion of trying the Internet first before posting questions about things like horariums that are usually on a Community's Web site. The Lockport Dominicans are one of the few Communities without a Web site. They were active on the Web about 5 years ago, but as others said, they decided not to have a Web presence. Many Communities are going in the opposite direction and increasing their Web presence--at least having a Web site--which is a huge help for discerners.

Now that my memory has come back, I remember the Lockport Dominicans posted a video of a clothing. Perhaps a link to the video is in that thread. It was unusual because the postulant wore a wedding dressing for her clothing--not a typical practice among Dominicans.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

Is this the community of sisters that isn't actually affiliated with the Dominican Order? I know there's one community of Dominican women like that...

truthfinder

Gabriela, that is correct - I believe, at least several years ago, that they were trying to get incorporated.  There is also another community that has been on VS a couple times (Sr. Mary Catherine would know) which also is not affiliated with the Order despite being Dominican (I'm thinking Mt. Thabor, but I could be very, very wrong). 

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Mt Thabor is aggregated to the Order and has been since about 1999. They are not Nuns of the Order of Preachers but are contemplatives (diocesan rite) who have their own constitutions.

We have no idea of Lockport's status except that they are not affiliated with the Dominican Order at present. There are various requirements in our constitutions that have to be fulfilled before one can even petition for incorporation.

truthfinder

Thanks Sister for responding.  Not meaning to derail this, but how would an aggregated community look or function differently from a OP community?

veritasluxmea

I originally read this at "Lockdown OP NUNS" and was freaking out for a second thinking they had all gotten in trouble or something :blush:

I originally read this at "Lockdown OP NUNS" and was freaking out for a second thinking they had all gotten in trouble or something :blush:

:smile3:

IgnatiusofLoyola

​Yeah, those Dominican nuns can get pretty wild! :) But I've heard the Carmelites are worse! :secret::shock: :smile3: